USAF patch question

ASMIC2971

I believe this to be a USAF patch but dont know if it's a squadron patch or simply a novelty patch.

Thanks,

PFC Kitt

post-5665-1248291917.jpg

PFC Kitt,

That is a USAF novelty patch, circa 1980s. I saw a couple of variations of these "commie busters" patches worn during that time. I have/wore a "KC-135 MiG Bait" patch on my flight suit during the late 1980s. One time a crew chief took exception to my wearing that patch, but I told him that I wear it with affection for the KC-135 -- and he would be more than welcome to fly an EWO mission with me, if we should happen to "launch." Maybe then he'd get the chance to see a MiG close-up. :w00t:

Pete

Probably worn by a Helo squadron (as a novelty), as the "HIND" was the Russian Anti-Tank helicopter. A ferocious beast and heavily armored (The HIND A-F models) carried a gatling style gun in the nose, 137 rockets in wing pods and 4 AT-4 Sagger anti tank missiles as well. It was also capable of hanging bombs on those wing studs. The bottom armor could defeat most small arms fire. It was also able to fly missing it's tail rotor if need be. The Afgan Muj found out these could be knocked down by Stinger missiles fired from above, it was basically the only way to kill em.

The HIND is well represented and shown in the movie "Red Dawn".

Jason,

I stand corrected. Of course, a USAF aircrew member would probably not wear a "Hind" patch. We had the "MiG" patches. I remember one bomber squadron (B-52s) wore the patch as simply "Commie Busters" without other designation.

Pete

bronxboymike

Hello, This could be a novelty patch for the US Army Europe, especially armored units as they would have been most affected by the hind's had things ever gone bad over there.

Mike

Johnny Signor

I think I read a story somewhere that it's related to the shootdown of a Hind by an USAF A-10 ahwile back, not sur ,but I think it's also shown on the USAFPatches site.