UDT/Hummingbirds Patch

Someone posted a photo of a patch with ablue field and white border. I had a UDT style frog swimming away from a hummingbird wearing scuba gear. The words Hummingbird and US Navy Demolition were sewn on to it. The only reasonable explanation that I have be able to come up with is that someone had the patch made but it was never worn by anyone. At one time the USAF Academy used to send USAF cadets to a three week mini Buds in Coronado. Since they were airforce they were not called Tadpoles. That is the name that UDT/SEAL trainees get in training. They were nicknamed HUMMINGBIRDS and wore Blue helmet liners. We have had quite a few former USAF Academy grads come over to the Navy and become SEALs. I believe one is up for promotion to Admiral at this time.

River Patrol

Any guess on the timeframe this patch was made? Late 70s?

vintageproductions

There is a local collector here, that has one of these and actually found a online article, from the Air Force Academy, that explained this unit. Sounded identical to what SEAL76 has stated. I believe the article was referenced to the unit being in the late 1960's. Now if I can just convince Spike he needs it....

Thanks for the ID on this patch.

You are most welcome. I believe the program was something that may have gone on during the60' or early 70's. I will check further if you would like me too. Just let me know.

River Patrol

No worries.....late 60s, early 70s I can believe. Very cool, unusual patch!

There is a local collector here, that has one of these and actually found a online article, from the Air Force Academy, that explained this unit. Sounded identical to what SEAL76 has stated. I believe the article was referenced to the unit being in the late 1960's. Now if I can just convince Spike he needs it....

I found the article you spoke of which is in Adobe format. Hopefully I've got the below link right:

http://www.usafa.org/news-media/Checkpoint...P_UponaTime.pdf

• 2 weeks later...