My Mini Museum

Alonzo

Wesley all I can say is amazing just an outstanding collection and you've done an excellent job of displaying everything! The collar disk are very cool first I've ever seen. It was good meeting you at Hayes place last year and really appreciated your help I was spent and it was a very hot day! :thumbsup:

Chris

A people that values its privileges

above its principles will soon lose both.

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 1 month later...

Thought I would post a couple of interviews I recently had in support and promotion of a local Military Heritage exhibition. Yes I know they are a Canadian Regiment!!!! Take a deep breath, I am displaying an American Expeditionary Force collection, specifically the 88th U.S. Infantry Division at this years Exhibition. Last year I set-up displays of the US Army Postal Express Service and the North Russia/Siberian Expedition, plus National Guard of Pennsylvania.

There are two parts to the interview, and there was no rehearsal before so I may appear a bit nervous. The Producer did a bit of careful editing as they filmed for about 20 minutes. The whole thing was done by Shaw TV, a regional cable TV supplier, and has been broadcast on a local channel. They posted both parts to YouTube and the links are attached here.

This is Part One of the interview and was broadcast last week.

This is Part Two of the interview and expands on last weeks broadcast.

Curator/Owner Ghost Squadron Military Museum,

Curator, South Alberta Light Horse Regimental Museum

Collector of;
U.S. Infantry, uniforms, and equipment, 1860 to 1950, Primarily the 41st and 88th Infantry Divisions of WW1 and WW2, United States Army Air Force, Anything B-17 Flying Fortress related, National Guard of Pennsylvania, Royal Canadian Air Force, 4th Canadian Armored division. Springfield Armory firearms, U.S. military firearms in general.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the thread to the display that is on this Saturday at the above mentioned Medicine Hat Military Heritage Exhibition sponsored by the South Alberta Light Horse.

The display is a World War One 88th Infantry Division. Just part of what I have in the collection relating tot he 88th Division.

2012 Military Heritage Exhibition

Collector of;
U.S. Infantry, uniforms, and equipment, 1860 to 1950, Primarily the 41st and 88th Infantry Divisions of WW1 and WW2, United States Army Air Force, Anything B-17 Flying Fortress related, National Guard of Pennsylvania, Royal Canadian Air Force, 4th Canadian Armored division. Springfield Armory firearms, U.S. military firearms in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! I love the way everything layed out and displayed so nicely. Great job!

RustyCanteen

Very nice collection Wes, I like the way you have the packs displayed.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, what a great collection. My wife would kill me if I get into another hobby. I already collect Indiana Jones gear as I'm a huge Indy fan among other collectibles. Also I'm in the 501st Legion (worldwide Star Wars costuming group). So I told my wife I'll get one helmet and maybe a uniform. LOL!

WTB Front Seam M1 Helmet, nothing refurbished. Also looking for WWII uniforms (Ike jackets or field jackets), medals, please pm me with details, price and pics. Looking for 8th AAF items as that was what my uncle was in. Also WTB 1/6 DiD Major Richard Dick Winters Figure

donation2012.gif

RustyCanteen

Did you make the cases in the first posts too?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Did you make the cases in the first posts too?

Yes, with my limited knowledge of carpentry I built, primed, painted and lacquered them in the basement, essentially the main display area. I cut the material outdoors then brought it in and assembled. The top case will lift off the bottom stand and the stand also has space for additional storage underneath...thus the hanging grey covers. All finish work was completed in the basement as well. I had a local glass shop install the glass in the tops, and on the larger cases I added braces inside.

The lighting is LED strip lights...they produce zero heat and provide excellent light. The primary room lighting is an "Ice Par" flood light, again producing low heat and diffused light. All the lighting was found at an electrical wholesale outlet who supplied lighting for commercial business.

I had the curator and archivist from the local museum for a tour, and they concurred that the lighting in the cases was the best for the application.. They had other very valuable advice regarding storage as well...whihc will be implemented very soon.

Collector of;

RustyCanteen
Yes, with my limited knowledge of carpentry I built, primed, painted and lacquered them in the basement, essentially the main display area. I cut the material outdoors then brought it in and assembled. The top case will lift off the bottom stand and the stand also has space for additional storage underneath...thus the hanging grey covers. All finish work was completed in the basement as well. I had a local glass shop install the glass in the tops, and on the larger cases I added braces inside.

The lighting is LED strip lights...they produce zero heat and provide excellent light. The primary room lighting is an "Ice Par" flood light, again producing low heat and diffused light. All the lighting was found at an electrical wholesale outlet who supplied lighting for commercial business.

I had the curator and archivist from the local museum for a tour, and they concurred that the lighting in the cases was the best for the application.. They had other very valuable advice regarding storage as well...whihc will be implemented very soon.

They look great, and the LED lights are a great idea! Do they have any kind of seal around the openings?

They look great, and the LED lights are a great idea! Do they have any kind of seal around the openings?

There is no seal around the glass top, though I have installed discrete locking devices using a simple flat threaded Allen hard bolt.

Since come of the cases contain handguns (when I do a tour) it was a logical and prudent idea to incorporate a locking system.

Plus some of the artifacts contained are quite small.

I have photos of the project though not on digital format...likewise I have an album full of display photos (mostly firearms from my collection) from years ago, none in digital.

Collector of;

• 1 month later...

I thought I would add a link to another USMF thread I posted on a recent acquisition (July actually).

The thread will speak for itself.

88th Division Unit Histories

Collector of;

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this under Latest Acquisitions....it was a GRRRRRREAT week!!!

Here is a few USMC WW2 gear items I picked up this week

usmcgear-1.jpg

Light Anti-Tank Mine bet...just need the mines!!!!

usmcgear-2.jpg

A killer USMC flag

usmcflag-4.jpg

Close-up of details, embroidery on what appears to be silk or rayon

usmcflag-7.jpg

usmcflag-6.jpg

usmcflag-5.jpg

WW1 USMC Collar discs

usmcdiscww1.jpg

Got these in the mail, home front pins

usmcpins.jpg

A few issues of The Leatherneck, 1940 to 1945.

usmcmags-2.jpg

The White cover issue is dated 1931

usmcmags-1.jpg

Collector of;

Yes. it has been busy week, and I have been adding a few USMC artifacts

A WW2 USMC camo helmet cover, First Pattern

usmcamo-3.jpg

usmcamo-7.jpg

Close up of the chain stitching and edge stitching

usmcamo-5.jpg

usmcamo-9.jpg

Some more magazines, The Leatherneck, all addressed to the same fellow

usmcmags-4.jpg

usmcmags-3.jpg

YUP, an 88th Division Camo Medical Corps helmet

Camo88th-3.jpg

Camo88th-1.jpg

And a few patches

usmcpatch.jpg

In a while I will be asking your guys advice on some display cases for an upcoming 2013 military show...you guessed it if you figured it will be US Marine Corps display

Collector of;

Nice stuff, I lost track of this thread and it's good to see it again!

Outstanding display and museum. I really like the idea you had with the display cases and LED lighting. I have similar glass and wood gun show cases that are smaller but thanks to you will be well lighted now.

Interested in military buttons and insignia

Always remember our Girls and Boys in Uniform - Past and Present..

• 2 weeks later...
foxcompany1944

Exellent!!!! Do you have any plans for the display cases?

Note: Purchasing any WWII Axis "SOUVENIRS" brought back by U.S soldiers during the Second World War! Please contact me if you currently withhold such items and are interested in parting with them, I can be contacted via Email at daniel_1975@iCloud.com ?

Exellent!!!! Do you have any plans for the display cases?

Sir;

Do you mean drawings, etc???

If so, they were literally planned out on scratch paper or a restaurant napkin type deal. The original plans have long since disappeared.

The dimensions were determined based on available space in the basement, for eventual placement, as well as room for construction in the rumpus room floor. The long case was challenging as it was a b it of tight fit in the floor area.

Collector of;

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like a museum!!! Looks great. Wish my basement looked like this!!!

Always looking for WW2 USMC militaria and WW2 Corpsman militaria. If you have any you don't want or want to sell let me know, I might be interested.

donation2016.gif

A very nice lay out with excellent picecs. The way you had the collar discs displayed in the small case's and labeled was very neat. By the way, what's the maker of the bayonet on the WW1 maniquen? Also, those collar discs with the photos from earlier, are those g.i., private purchase or something someone did on their own? One more, earlier when you were showing some small cases full of collar discs, insignia, ect. The lower left hand corner of one had what I believe was a collar disc with a pair of wings and prop on it. What exactly and when is that from? I'm curious about that disc as I have one like it and I'm not sure what it is.

A very nice lay out with excellent picecs. The way you had the collar discs displayed in the small case's and labeled was very neat. By the way, what's the maker of the bayonet on the WW1 maniquen? Also, those collar discs with the photos from earlier, are those g.i., private purchase or something someone did on their own? One more, earlier when you were showing some small cases full of collar discs, insignia, ect. The lower left hand corner of one had what I believe was a collar disc with a pair of wings and prop on it. What exactly and when is that from? I'm curious about that disc as I have one like it and I'm not sure what it is.

Hello thanks for your comments and questions.

-The bayonet on the M1917 rifle is Remington manufactured. It is wothout doubt one of the best condition bayonets for this rifle I have seen in years. I do have the earlier bright finished blade bayonet in the collection as well, though I do not put this in the display.

-The locket collar discs were professionally made and privately purchased, most lilely in the USA, or sent over to the boys by family members. Most have a Patent date on them, lending credence to the belief they are US made. The majority of French made discs featured a different attachment set-up on the back...some had a pin and others with a screw back had a different style threaded nut. I have never seen a locket disc that I can confidently say is French made.

-The collar disc you mention with the wings and prop are attributed to the Air Service of WW1. A coomon style of this disc is one where the wing and prop are cast as an integral part of hte disc. Other variant have a separately attached silver propellor over the wings. There also a style with signal corps flags and a winged gloge overlay, these are a first pattern Air Service.

Thanks again for your comments.

Collector of;

Thanks for that information Alonzo! I didn't know I had a WW1 disc in my collection. So what's on your list to add to your collection next, or is it just the next interesting piece that comes along?