Alonzo

My Mini Museum

Wonderfull displays! I really like your 88th WWI Manequin I see you have a thing for 41st Div and 88th Div. I had a great uncle in the 313th Eng of the 88th in the First war and another great uncle in the 163rd Inf of the 41st Div in the Second war.

I would love to see some more detailed photos of the construction of your display cases, espically the "lids" of the flat cases.

Did you use glass or plexi? It appeared in one photo that you used "L" brackets at a 45 angle to hold the glass in? Thats pretty inventive!

Thanks for your reply...Yes I DO have a thing for the 41st and 88th divisions. I will get busy and take a few more pics of some stuff.

I just got a 313th Ammunition Train group recently, over 200 individual document pieces, plus a 349th Bandsman group with a killer painted suitcase side.

The prizes of the 41s stuff are the beaded patches...I know of 5 patches and I have had three in my hands.

The cases are constructed of M.D.F. board, and are two pieces. The top case lifts off the base, the curtains on the bases hide more storage.

I bulit a jig to assemble the tops using 3/4 MDF overlaid at the corners. The glass shop installed 3/16 plate glass and glued it in place on the 4 foot cases.

On the wider cases they glued the glass in place and I added the corner brackets as support with felt pads against the glass. On each door there is mounted LED strip lights to provide lighting when the cases are closed. The LED light produce virtually no heat and plenty of diffuse light, not overpowering like fluorescent.

I will take a few pics and post.

Cheers

Curator/Owner Ghost Squadron Military Museum,

Curator, South Alberta Light Horse Regimental Museum

Collector of;
U.S. Infantry, uniforms, and equipment, 1860 to 1950, Primarily the 41st and 88th Infantry Divisions of WW1 and WW2, United States Army Air Force, Anything B-17 Flying Fortress related, National Guard of Pennsylvania, Royal Canadian Air Force, 4th Canadian Armored division. Springfield Armory firearms, U.S. military firearms in general.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

OUTSTANDING !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And for once, we see a doughboy dressed for combat without a discharge chevron ! :thumbsup:

If you notice the photo on the wall in the background...it is an actual photo form Canadian Library Archives that I had enlarged. I chose this photo because it showed doughboys amongst the barbed wire pickets, whihc the mannequin is holding and his rifle is propped against.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Collector of;
U.S. Infantry, uniforms, and equipment, 1860 to 1950, Primarily the 41st and 88th Infantry Divisions of WW1 and WW2, United States Army Air Force, Anything B-17 Flying Fortress related, National Guard of Pennsylvania, Royal Canadian Air Force, 4th Canadian Armored division. Springfield Armory firearms, U.S. military firearms in general.

Excellent!!!!

Could you tell me what the approximate size of the room is???

Thanks

Hello;

The primary display area measures 20'X 10'. The Room measures 15'X20', with cupboards, work bench, and other storage.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Collector of;

As requested...some photos of "The Rack".

There is some denim in there as well a tankers jacket, as well 40's and 50's RCAF stuff.

The Flight Sergeant tunic came from a good friend along with some cool stories, I also got his brother's RCAF tunics.

TheRack-1.jpg

Here are some 41st Division items, with a bunch of HBT stuff, Mackinaws, and field jackets, M1941, 1943, 1950, 1951

TheRack-2.jpg

This section has mostly short jackets, Ikes, battledress, and most of the 88th Division stuff, I think there is even some USMC stuff in there as well...NOS M1941 and M1944 jackets...BTW NEED M1944 trousers ;)

Note the narrow cases hidden under the coats.

TheRack-4.jpg

Here are the Indian Wars/Span-Am war stuff as well as some Army and USMC camo, there are also some early variants of the pre WW1 tunics and some early M1926 coats

TheRack-3.jpg

The case hiding under the 88th Division stuff...haversacks, musette bags, back packs, pre 1900 bags etc.

TheRack-5.jpg

A short rack of Flight jackets

Ghostsqrdn-51.jpg

Collector of;

Alonzo,

This is gorgeous. You have a fantastic collection of some specific items (a whole division or two is specific, right? ;)) I hope my war room looks like this some day.

Btw, great wooden hangars for your uniforms!

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

Can I come over? :naughty: I'd be lost for hours and hours..... what a wonderful retreat you have there Sir, excellent. :bravo:

"I collect anything that strikes my fancy."

Can I come over? :naughty: I'd be lost for hours and hours..... what a wonderful retreat you have there Sir, excellent. :bravo:

I just completed a four hour tour of the "museum" this afternoon. The longest tour was just over six hours with a coffee/beer break in between.

I it is a blast giving tours as it remind me of what I have.

Cheers

Collector of;

I just perused this thread for the first time...that is one impressive array of stuff, and a shipload of history.

A full-sized museum in every sense of the word!!

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

very professional, and well organized. I love the construction of the display cases and stands. by far the best if i had to vote. Most of us collectors wish we could be that organized that way we find the stuff we think we have LOL. let me know if you sell the plans for the case i would love to get it done here for the Hawaii Guard if they ever decide to make a museum.

Aaron

Aaron R. Pollick
Seeking Hawaii Army Guard,
Hawaiian Cadre,buy or trade.

Absolutely stunning. I love museums and very few of them possess the attention to detail and the care you take in organizing your displays. I love that you don't just overwhelm the eye with as much stuff as possible (no offense to the others). This approach leave the eye to focus on the details. Most excellent approach and amazing collection.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

very professional, and well organized. I love the construction of the display cases and stands. by far the best if i had to vote. Most of us collectors wish we could be that organized that way we find the stuff we think we have LOL. let me know if you sell the plans for the case i would love to get it done here for the Hawaii Guard if they ever decide to make a museum.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron;

I am no carpenter and built these cases on the limited knowledge I have...though after the first two the technique and construction secrets/tools employed went far easier and faster...the finishing is what took the longest with sanding,priming, sanding, priming, base coat, sanding, base coat, sanding, base coat, then clear coat and sanding three time to get the final finish.

The top case sets on top of the legs and the sides of the case extend down past the top of the legs, they are essentially two pieces and can be easily moved. The plans were literally drawn out on a scratch pad with no scale...it took nearly four years to complete with most of building being done on the floor of the basement.

Cheers

Collector of;

Thanks Aaron;

I am no carpenter and built these cases on the limited knowledge I have...though after the first two the technique and construction secrets/tools employed went far easier and faster...the finishing is what took the longest with sanding,priming, sanding, priming, base coat, sanding, base coat, sanding, base coat, then clear coat and sanding three time to get the final finish.

The top case sets on top of the legs and the sides of the case extend down past the top of the legs, they are essentially two pieces and can be easily moved. The plans were literally drawn out on a scratch pad with no scale...it took nearly four years to complete with most of building being done on the floor of the basement.

Cheers

You are very gifted and a great contribution to the collecting arena. thank you for the helpful hints. with a little vision, a lot of sweat and elbow grease and this is what you get a first class home musuem . thanks for sharing I'm sure you can hear the OMG!

Aaron

Aaron R. Pollick
Seeking Hawaii Army Guard,
Hawaiian Cadre,buy or trade.

Wow! I for one would happily pay an admission fee to visit that museum. Outstanding!

Sabrejet :w00t:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I've never seen a pile of webgear look so neat and organized! :thumbsup:

really really great displays there Alonzo! Thanks for sharing with us.

Terry

to all who have served!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Have to agree with all the others - great museum - VERY nicely done.

DJ

"RETREAT HELL.....WE JUST GOT HERE"

LOOKING TO PURCHASE IDENTIFIED WW1 AVIATION GROUPINGS, INCLUDING MEDALS, UNIFORMS, STUDIO PHOTOS.

PURCHASE ANY AND ALL ID'ED WW1 NAVY CORPSMAN OR PHYSICIAN GROUPINGS; MEDALS &/or UNIFORMS.

WW1 USMC ID'ED OFFICER'S GROUPS, esp. MARINE AVIATORS -

ANY LARGE FORMAT 5X7 OR LARGER IMAGES OF MARINE OFFICERS & AERO PILOTS

Collecting/Preserving/Researching WW1 Marine Corps Items and WW1 Aviation Items

I would also like to say that this is one of the nicest, cleanest, and best organized out there. Thanks for showing off your wonderful collection. If only I could talk my wife into more room.......... :rolleyes:

Always looking for 325th G.I.R. and WWII USMC items!
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Very, Very Nice!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You must prepare your mind for where your body might have to go.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Excellent.... Military Collection you have got there

Some Really Very Nice & RARE items there in your Collection

Very well done and tought up..... :thumbsup: .

:) Great Job..

http://www.Paratrooper1944.Com/

https://www.facebook.com/paratrooper1944

IN MEMORY OF IRISH/AMERICANS FROM MY COUNTY.
Cpl: Patrick Gallagher, 3rd U.S.M.C Div K.I.A 30/03/1967 Navy Cross
Sgt: Patrick Nevin, B.Co. 1st Bn, 12th Cav, 1st CAVALRY Div K.I.A 23/02/1966

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif

I've never seen a pile of webgear look so neat and organized! :thumbsup:

really really great displays there Alonzo! Thanks for sharing with us.

Terry

Welllllll....I did not take photos of what is contained in some of the cupboard drawers, etc. Some of the other drawers have hard gear, mess gear, leather cartridge pouches, belts...etc, etc.

There is one cabinet which is primarily dedicated to WW2 Shearling jackets...I think there are about 10 jackets in that cabinet...the bottom drawers are cartridge belts and canteens, entrenching tools and the top drawer contains some insignia.

Collector of;

I'm in awe. This is such a remarkable collection that is displayed so well. To echo other posters, I'd pay to visit your museum. I really like the fabric-covered display heads as well. I hadn't noticed that touch until someone mentioned it. It completley allows focus to rest on the headgear. I will borrow that technique if you don't mind!

Well done and thanks for sharing!

Have you ever noticed that people who are brutally honest seem to take more pleasure from the brutality than from the honesty?

donation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Great stuff, nicely displayed...........517th

IMGP2348.jpg

Daniel G Harries 517th PRCT Ardennes/Rhine Crossing

I think the display cases for the WWII items are great are they home made or purchased?

Regards,

John

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif