Alonzo

My Mini Museum

A project was started about 5 years ago to develop a portion of my basement into a mini museum.

During these years I built 8 display cases, two of which are on wheels, standing over 6 feet tall, one display case I mounted on the wall for firearms.

The whole concept was to display stuff in and orderly and uncluttered manner and try to give the room a professional Museum appearance.

One crucial aspect of any display area is lighting...thanks go to the boys at Eecol Electric supply for their expertise in this matter.

Also, the guys at Display Fashions in New York supplied the mannequins and were one of the only suppliers who would ship to Canada.

Makes one wonder why no one will ship mannequins to Canada...they would probably work much harder then any other immigrant, and would not need government assistance.

The photos are extensive, though I will try to keep them brief;

What you see as you enter the room from upstairs

Ghostsqrdn-8.jpg

More of the room

Ghostsqrdn-5.jpg

More, More, More

Ghostsqrdn-6.jpg

Looking towards the entrance and storage area

Ghostsqrdn-9.jpg

Another view of the corner area

Ghostsqrdn-7.jpg

I will post the display cases as addition to the thread.

Curator/Owner Ghost Squadron Military Museum,

Curator, South Alberta Light Horse Regimental Museum

Collector of;
U.S. Infantry, uniforms, and equipment, 1860 to 1950, Primarily the 41st and 88th Infantry Divisions of WW1 and WW2, United States Army Air Force, Anything B-17 Flying Fortress related, National Guard of Pennsylvania, Royal Canadian Air Force, 4th Canadian Armored division. Springfield Armory firearms, U.S. military firearms in general.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

As promised, here are the display cases;

I propped the glass doors open to eliminate reflections

Some Springfield Firearms

Ghostsqrdn-20.jpg

Civil War/Indian War Case

Ghostsqrdn-26.jpg

Ghostsqrdn-25.jpg

The World War One case

Should mention, above this case there are several 88th Division roll-out photos, sorry no photo of those...yet.

I am always looking for more.

Ghostsqrdn-19.jpg

Ghostsqrdn-18.jpg

Some World War Two stuff

Ghostsqrdn-16.jpg

These next two cases I left the glass door closed

General Army Air Corp, B-17 related

Ghostsqrdn-14.jpg

CBI Theater case

Ghostsqrdn-15.jpg

Collector of;
U.S. Infantry, uniforms, and equipment, 1860 to 1950, Primarily the 41st and 88th Infantry Divisions of WW1 and WW2, United States Army Air Force, Anything B-17 Flying Fortress related, National Guard of Pennsylvania, Royal Canadian Air Force, 4th Canadian Armored division. Springfield Armory firearms, U.S. military firearms in general.

In my opinion, this is the most professional (also my favorite) display I have seen. :blushing:

Thanks for the great photos.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

very very nice work there! and it really does look like a museum :thumbsup:

Terry

to all who have served!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Here are the Mannequins

World War One, note 88th Division patch

Ghostsqrdn-31.jpg

World War Two AAF Officer

Note; This one scared the life out of a buddy whom I had not told what I was doing...it was hilarious actually

Ghostsqrdn-34.jpg

World War Two Infantryman

Ghostsqrdn-23.jpg

World War two Canadian Soldier

Yeah, I know it is not U.S., but it is part of the "Museum"

Ghostsqrdn-22.jpg

Collector of;

Sorry Guys...more photos are included here

Now for "THE ROOM"...aka storage.

THE RACK

Ghostsqrdn-37.jpg

Looking out of The Room into the "Museum" area

Ghostsqrdn-38.jpg

Rolling Display case #1

Ghostsqrdn-39.jpg

Rolling Display case #2

Ghostsqrdn-40.jpg

A small hidden corner display case

Ghostsqrdn-41.jpg

The next one is shear bragging...I have been involved in competitive shooting for about 35 years now...this is a portion of the awards I have won

Ghostsqrdn-52.jpg

Collector of;

Alonzo, fantastic displays! I would say your planning and hard work paid off.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Wonderfull displays! I really like your 88th WWI Manequin I see you have a thing for 41st Div and 88th Div. I had a great uncle in the 313th Eng of the 88th in the First war and another great uncle in the 163rd Inf of the 41st Div in the Second war.

I would love to see some more detailed photos of the construction of your display cases, espically the "lids" of the flat cases.

Did you use glass or plexi? It appeared in one photo that you used "L" brackets at a 45 angle to hold the glass in? Thats pretty inventive!

Cpl James A Paris, USMC
Stinger Missile Gunner
H&S Co. Support Bn MCRDSD 2002-2003

MarDet Ft Bliss, TX 2003
2nd Plt 1st Stinger Btry, Okinawa 2003-2004
2nd Plt A Btry 3rd LAAD BN Camp Pendleton, CA 2004-2006

Please visit my blog: http://ourcountrysheroes.blogspot.com/

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Very well done, I sure like the way your collection is displayed.

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Came back for another look. This is so well done!

Would you mind showing closer photos of "the rack"? It looks like you have several very interesting pieces there.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

... just one word needed "OUTSTANDING"

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Something to be extremely proud of, and for most of us to be jealous of!!!

Outstanding! :w00t:

Rob Cawte

Interested in buying AIR CORPS items, particularly 8th and 9th AAF id'd medals, uniforms/groupings

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Wow the a great display and really looks like museum! Thanks for it!

Jerry K.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2019.gif

Wow the a great display and really looks like museum! Thanks for it!

Jerry K.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2019.gif

"Mini" my @$$! :w00t:

You have some wonderful items Sir and the displays are excellent! :jeal0001: :jeal0001: :jeal0001:

(edit) Hey I really like how you covered all of the display heads with fabric—great idea! Not only does this enhance the head gear item more, but it's a great way to make different looking heads to look consistent.

:bravo:

"I collect anything that strikes my fancy."

Great displays, especially the WWI mannequin. :w00t: Wish I had room to display my collection like that.

:thumbsup:

"Hey, bloody bucket division, our bucket, your blood."

OUTSTANDING !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And for once, we see a doughboy dressed for combat without a discharge chevron ! :thumbsup:

Fantastic!!! You have a very good eye and great displaying skills. I feel as if I should have paid for admission.

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Really enjoyed seeing this. Very visually appealing set up and an inspiring collection.

Your basement is truely amazing, I can't even imagine how much time, money, and hard work you have tied up in that project. I would like to see some close ups of "The Rack" also if you get a chance. Excellent job sir.