Unserviceable MICH Helmet

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

I picked this up from a militaria dealer who has a shop near Ft. Bragg, this helmet was in a pile he offered for sale, the regular MICH helmets were $100, the one’s with the surefire lights on them were $125. I picked out this one.

post-1549-1248181080.jpg

post-1549-1248181093.jpg

More to follow.

BKW

Brian Keith

post-1549-1248181203.jpg

post-1549-1248181211.jpg

Believe it or not, this looks like a high velocity projectile strike to me.

More to follow.

BKW

Brian Keith

post-1549-1248181418.jpg

Inside of where the projectile hit, I wonder if it is still in there?

What do you think?

Yes, this would be easy enough to fake, but it wasn’t “featured” and no premium in price was asked.

Comments?

BKW

Looks like a good piece to me. I found an article that you may like to read. Looks like the article was written one day before this guy got hit. Here is the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6091401900.html

More than likely, this helmet was a SF used piece. It has been painted and modified. The SF were very active in the area mentioned on the inside of your helmet. AL-Furat is a city in the Anbar province. Very violent area in Iraq. Combat used piece...you bet. The price you gave for this piece was a steal. Sweet pick up.

Arch

Brian Keith

Thanks for the link and the analysis.

If this had been on e-pay, I would not give it a second look. Of course, I don’t buy things there after the paypal edict. Rarely even look.

BKW

Very neat pick-up. I'd of grabbed it up myself if I saw one like that too! :thumbsup:

Brian Keith

Glad you all like it.

I need to get a fresh battery to see if the surefire light works.

BKW

One suggestion...document, document document! Keep the reciept, that Post article, and this thread! You won't regret it for sure. Great pieces with this kind of provenance are golden.

Misanthropic_Gods

MAN, what a story...and a great deal on a MICH helmet. I have been trying to find a MICH or ACH for a reasonable price..the cheapest i have found is $225 around here.

MAN, what a story...and a great deal on a MICH helmet. I have been trying to find a MICH or ACH for a reasonable price..the cheapest i have found is $225 around here.

you just gotta know where to look, I've found the best places to look are where they dont specialize in militaria. I picked an ACH with cover and pads up a year ago in excellent condition from a knife shop, the guy got it from a recruiter. I paid $80 for it.

I just picked up a MICH yesterday (theres a thread about it) with night vision mount, helmet cover, ESS goggles and a complete suspension and pads for $40.

Misanthropic_Gods
you just gotta know where to look, I've found the best places to look are where they dont specialize in militaria. I picked an ACH with cover and pads up a year ago in excellent condition from a knife shop, the guy got it from a recruiter. I paid $80 for it.

I just picked up a MICH yesterday (theres a thread about it) with night vision mount, helmet cover, ESS goggles and a complete suspension and pads for $40.

Jeez man...makin me hurt just thinking about it. Out here in Illinois there arent many bases..and a REALLY bad market for surplus, everything around here seems overpriced and pretty damn hard to find. I have had much better luck in the south and the southwest for stuff like that.