The Official Cap Eagle Variant Thread

FW12

This is one topic I feel that could use some more discussion. Just how many cap eagle variants have we seen the US Army use over the years? I thought'd it be a great idea to post pictures of all the different types of eagles the United States Army has used from all periods. If possible, please the show the reverse and identify the maker.

I'll get us started off with a very common, very ordinary, but very beautiful cap eagle from the WWII period. I really do like these Gemsco Acid Test Jumbo eagles!

Beau

post-88-1177557926.jpg

Unfortunately, many of the eagles I will show I don't own anymore. I neglected to take photos of the reverse of many eagles so I apologize in advance!

This next one was on a khaki crusher visor. Not hallmarked on the reverse, but evidently of superior quality.

post-88-1177558271.jpg

Beau Wright said:
Unfortunately, many of the eagles I will show I don't own anymore. I neglected to take photos of the reverse of many eagles so I apologize in advance!

This next one was on a khaki crusher visor. Not hallmarked on the reverse, but evidently of superior quality.

I love the Gemsco "acid tests" too. Here's mine;

post-496-1177558505.jpg

I love the soft gilt; too bad some hi spots of mine are worn

BACK....

post-496-1177558602.jpg

This was a recent one that I owned. Also of high quality like the preceding one. A little smaller, and with that really distinctive V.

post-88-1177558582.jpg

one more...

Gorgeous! I love those up-close shots (wish my Canon could do that!) Sorry about cutting in there, didn't see you had posted until I posted! :blink:

I wonder if there is composition difference in many of these cap eagles, or if most are made of the same materials?

The following eagle is one I see on many caps made by Dunlap and Dobbs. They are common, but of a higher degree of quality. This is an Amcraft eagle.

post-88-1177559108.jpg

This distinctive eagle was on a crusher. Its one of those Jumbo eagles, yet it seems much father spaced apart than the NS Meyer or Gemsco versions. Its huge and finely detailed. Unfortunately, not marked and much thinner than say the Gemsco version.

post-88-1177633585.jpg

Since they were wearing US Army/ AAF Uniforms, I am posting this photo of a Civilian Flight Instructor's badge. This one was pinback and marked Sterling.

post-88-1177633741.jpg

This eagle belongs to a WWII officers service visor. Unmarked, thin, this is the type of eagle that became the norm after the war (except for the more flamboyant officers who stuck with their WWII V badges).

post-88-1177634287.jpg

Probably the biggest of all WWII Officer Cap badges was this NS Meyer screwback design. As you can see, this one has a real nice patina, it practically blends into the cap itself!

post-88-1177634509.jpg

As a change of pace, we all know the basic WWII US Army Enlisted badge. Hasn't changed much over the years, though I do like how this eagle has that distinctive V shape. This eagle is unmarked (as practically most were) and was on a private purchase EM visor.

post-88-1177634735.jpg

This cap badge really resembles the Amcraft style badge (with the shield pushing outward). However, it was unmarked and on a late 1930s Officers service visor. I hope somebody else starts posting too, can't do it all by myself!

Beau

post-88-1177634952.jpg

Here are a few of mine.

Gary

post-96-1177636879.jpg

Amcraft back

post-96-1177636912.jpg

J R Gaunt with English Style lugs

post-96-1177636974.jpg

back

post-96-1177636997.jpg

maker mark

post-96-1177637030.jpg

size comparison between standard and WAC badges

post-96-1177637087.jpg

Gaunt WAC

post-96-1177637127.jpg

back

post-96-1177637149.jpg

Wac Variant

post-96-1177637175.jpg

back

post-96-1177637207.jpg

MM

post-96-1177637238.jpg

KG Luke

post-96-1177637263.jpg

KG Luke Variant the backs are the same but the maker marks are different so I will show those

post-96-1177637367.jpg

KG Luke back

post-96-1177637487.jpg

1st MM

post-96-1177637512.jpg

2nd MM

post-96-1177637643.jpg

Large Gemsco

post-96-1177637715.jpg

back

post-96-1177637738.jpg

MM

post-96-1177637758.jpg

Pre War Meyer Metal

post-96-1177637786.jpg

back

post-96-1177637810.jpg

The maker mark is very hard to make out but it is there.

post-96-1177637843.jpg

No Maker mark

post-96-1177637879.jpg

back

post-96-1177637899.jpg

Mexican Made Enlisted!

post-96-1177638321.jpg

back

post-96-1177638341.jpg

Here are a few of mine. This one is unmarked on a Bancroft cap. A very nice strike but no maker. It appears to be the same as the unmarked one that Gary shows above.

Maj_Scott_cap_eagle.JPG

Here is an eagle on a 1947 dated issue cap. It is unmarked except for "ACID TEST" on the reverse tail.

MP_Officer_peaked_cap.JPG

View of the back of the eagle showing markings.

Cap_Eagle_MP_back.JPG

Closeup view of the "ACID TEST" markings on the tail.

Cap_Eagle_MP_markings.JPG

Closeup view of the distinctive screwback roller.

Cap_Eagle_MP_roller.JPG

Hey Sarge,

The nut you show here is the same type used on the Meyer metal badge I posted.

Here is an eagle on a 1947 dated issue cap. It is unmarked except for "ACID TEST" on the reverse tail.

post-130-1177646850.jpg

View of the back of the eagle showing markings.

post-130-1177646951.jpg

Closeup view of the "ACID TEST" markings on the tail.

post-130-1177646999.jpg

Closeup view of the distinctive screwback roller.

post-130-1177647047.jpg

Here is a seldom seen cap eagle for an Officer of the Philippines Constabulary. This eagle is from a cap made by Almar in Manila.

Cap_Eagle_PC.JPG

The eagle is "EL ORO" brand insignia manufactured by J.J.Tupaz, Jr. Here is a view of the back.

Cap_eagle_PC_back.JPG

A closeup view of the markings on this eagle.

Cap_Eagle_PC_markings.JPG

A closeup view of the distinctive screwback roller that has markings that match the eagle itself.

Cap_Eagle_PC_roller.JPG

Sarge,

Do you happen to have a period photo of the Philippine Constabulary badge being worn? That sure is a beauty!

Beau

"Sarge,

Do you happen to have a period photo of the Philippine Constabulary badge being worn? That sure is a beauty!

Beau"

Beau,

Thanks for the kudos on my PC cap eagle. This one is from the time of the Philippines Republic and there are earlier ones of course from the time of the Commonwealth. The cap is identified and this particular Captain served prior to WWII, during the war, and after the war until he retired.

I could not find a clear head shot offhand but here is an earlier postcard of the Philippines Constabulary to give you a general idea. The officers in the center are wearing the then current cap eagle but you can't see much detail I am afraid. All of this PC insignia is very close to standard US insignia but with minor detail changes. Remember McArthur's iconic WWII cap from the time he commanded Philippines Troops... thumbsup.gif

Phil_Constab.jpg

Folks, I am glad you have this thread! I have always had questions about this eagle. This is the eagle (and hat) that I wore on active duty and with the US Army Reserves. I was given the eagle by a Reserve Officer when I received my commision in 1984. I used it for the next 15 years. I always liked it because it looked better than the ones available in the PX.

There are no marks on the back and I am not really sure of the time period when it was manufactured. I would appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks!

post-203-1177898992.jpg

post-203-1177899021.jpg

I have owned around 6 or 7 of caps with these types of eagles on them. All were WWII vintage caps, all the eagles were marked NS Meyer on the reverse. Some have said that they are only post war eagles, yet I know a gentleman who acquired a cap straight from a WWII vet that did have this eagle on it. Either way, they really are lovely eagles!

Beau

Gaunt WAC

very nice cap insignia - a fine collecting "sub-niche" all its own. The "instructor" one is a wowser!

Here's an EM, unmarked back.

post-496-1178136829.jpg

Gary Cain

Here is a retailer I had not seen before. Looks to be the standard JR Gaunt pattern but a nice new maker mark!

post-96-1178662721.jpg

the maker mark

post-96-1178662749.jpg

GIl Sanow
the maker mark

I think that is "Associated Military Stores", Chicago. Probably Gaunt made.

G

Gary Cain

Hi Gil,

That was my guess as well.

Cheers

Gary

I think that is "Associated Military Stores", Chicago. Probably Gaunt made.

G

Garth Thompson

Here are three bullion cap eagles, two army officer and a American Red Cross officer. The bullion pieces are usually CBI made.

Garth

post-83-1178898993.jpg

These are for the 1st American Squadron, Home Guard formed up in 4 July 1940 during England's dark days. The unit was officially incorporated into the crown armed forces in September 1940 and was comprised of American citizens living in the UK. The unit was based in the TA (territorial Army) Headquarters of the Queen's Westminsters in Buckingham Gate London. Note the the badge doesn't incorporate the Great Seal. There exists a matching arm patch but I've never encountered one. I'm not sure what the third badge with the Great Seal was used for but I suspect it was made for and used by an american officer stationed in England after the US declared war.

Garth

post-83-1178899541.jpg

post-83-1178899561.jpg

post-83-1178899590.jpg

These are for the 1st American Squadron, Home Guard formed up in 4 July 1940 during England's dark days. The unit was officially incorporated into the crown armed forces in September 1940 and was comprised of American citizens living in the UK. The unit was based in the TA (territorial Army) Headquarters of the Queen's Westminsters in Buckingham Gate London. Note the the badge doesn't incorporate the Great Seal. There exists a matching arm patch but I've never encountered one. I'm not sure what the third badge with the Great Seal was used for but I suspect it was made for and used by an american officer stationed in England after the US declared war.

Garth

Garth,

All these badges are tremendous (especially the bullion ones)! I had seen those eagles without the Great Seal before, thinking they were something that had to do with something technical, I don't quite recall. That's always real interesting thinking of American citizens living in a foreign country, and fighting for that country. Its really an unusual concept, because think if we had a unit of Mexican immigrants or Kenyan immigrants fighting in Iraq now. Thanks for sharing!

Beau

• 3 years later...

I would like to resurrect this thread because I'm sure that there are a few of us that collect hat devices.

Being a Navy guy, I have solely collected my branch, but as of late, I have become interested in Army/AirForce ones.

I have a couple of questions for anyone that can help. Who made the best quality? What period is the most desirable? What's the best way to start?

Thanks. I hope we continue this thread, I think it's a subject that doesn't get a lot of attention.

Here is a seldom seen cap eagle for an Officer of the Philippines Constabulary. This eagle is from a cap made by Almar in Manila.

post-130-1177647436.jpg

The eagle is "EL ORO" brand insignia manufactured by J.J.Tupaz, Jr. Here is a view of the back.

post-130-1177647594.jpg

A closeup view of the markings on this eagle.

post-130-1177647647.jpg

A closeup view of the distinctive screwback roller that has markings that match the eagle itself.

post-130-1177647711.jpg

Sarge,

This is a nice Constabulary Hat badge, used after 1947 with the establishment of the republic. This particular piece was used in the late 1940's and into the 50's.

All the best. Joe