The Official Cap Eagle Variant Thread

This is one topic I feel that could use some more discussion. Just how many cap eagle variants have we seen the US Army use over the years? I thought'd it be a great idea to post pictures of all the different types of eagles the United States Army has used from all periods. If possible, please the show the reverse and identify the maker.

I'll get us started off with a very common, very ordinary, but very beautiful cap eagle from the WWII period. I really do like these Gemsco Acid Test Jumbo eagles!

Beau

post-88-1177557926.jpg

donation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

Collecting 29th Division and Virginia-Related Items!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately, many of the eagles I will show I don't own anymore. I neglected to take photos of the reverse of many eagles so I apologize in advance!

This next one was on a khaki crusher visor. Not hallmarked on the reverse, but evidently of superior quality.

post-88-1177558271.jpg

donation2008.gif

Unfortunately, many of the eagles I will show I don't own anymore. I neglected to take photos of the reverse of many eagles so I apologize in advance!

This next one was on a khaki crusher visor. Not hallmarked on the reverse, but evidently of superior quality.

I love the Gemsco "acid tests" too. Here's mine; stand by for the back...

post-496-1177558505.jpg

This was a recent one that I owned. Also of high quality like the preceding one. A little smaller, and with that really distinctive V.

post-88-1177558582.jpg

donation2008.gif

one more...

Gorgeous! I love those up-close shots (wish my Canon could do that!) Sorry about cutting in there, didn't see you had posted until I posted! :blink:

I wonder if there is composition difference in many of these cap eagles, or if most are made of the same materials?

The following eagle is one I see on many caps made by Dunlap and Dobbs. They are common, but of a higher degree of quality. This is an Amcraft eagle.

post-88-1177559108.jpg

donation2008.gif

This distinctive eagle was on a crusher. Its one of those Jumbo eagles, yet it seems much father spaced apart than the NS Meyer or Gemsco versions. Its huge and finely detailed. Unfortunately, not marked and much thinner than say the Gemsco version.

post-88-1177633585.jpg

donation2008.gif

Since they were wearing US Army/ AAF Uniforms, I am posting this photo of a Civilian Flight Instructor's badge. This one was pinback and marked Sterling.

post-88-1177633741.jpg

donation2008.gif

This eagle belongs to a WWII officers service visor. Unmarked, thin, this is the type of eagle that became the norm after the war (except for the more flamboyant officers who stuck with their WWII V badges).

post-88-1177634287.jpg

donation2008.gif

Probably the biggest of all WWII Officer Cap badges was this NS Meyer screwback design. As you can see, this one has a real nice patina, it practically blends into the cap itself!

post-88-1177634509.jpg

donation2008.gif

As a change of pace, we all know the basic WWII US Army Enlisted badge. Hasn't changed much over the years, though I do like how this eagle has that distinctive V shape. This eagle is unmarked (as practically most were) and was on a private purchase EM visor.

post-88-1177634735.jpg

donation2008.gif

This cap badge really resembles the Amcraft style badge (with the shield pushing outward). However, it was unmarked and on a late 1930s Officers service visor. I hope somebody else starts posting too, can't do it all by myself!

Beau

post-88-1177634952.jpg

donation2008.gif

Here are a few of mine.

Gary

Gorgeous! I love those up-close shots (wish my Canon could do that!) Sorry about cutting in there, didn't see you had posted until I posted! :blink:

I wonder if there is composition difference in many of these cap eagles, or if most are made of the same materials?

The following eagle is one I see on many caps made by Dunlap and Dobbs. They are common, but of a higher degree of quality. This is an Amcraft eagle.

post-96-1177636879.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

"YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION."

Rudyard Kipling