The new Navy Working Uniform

svt40

Someone please show me the new dress whites, my daughters bf thought they were comming back.... iguess as much as I like and admired them I also agree with the reason they went away. Cammie utilities, Kahki jackets, pre41 dress whites ????????????? how can I dump some of my 28 years and get back into the fight?

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?John You are right Steve, I should ask the guy on TV

OOps, Should have checked all the posts first. The dress whites are lame and totally suck. At least they did not go back to the 70's

:crying: :blink: :crying: :blink: :pinch: john

Here is the parka. It is the only authorized jacket for wear with the NWU's. It doubles as a winter jacket when the liner is installed and as rain gear. It has zippered waterproof vents under the arms. Also a roll up hood in the collar. The parka is a very well made item unlike the NWUs whose buttons fall off soon as they are used.

DSC00664.jpg

Slip on rank tabs are worn similar to Army ACU's on a velcro tab on the front of the uniform.

DSC00665.jpg

Inside of the parka showing it's Gortex heritage.

DSC00668.jpg

The hood in the collar partially unrolled.

DSC00669.jpg

svt40,

In the 2nd photo, is that Navy emblem/USN upside down on purpose?!?!?!

All this Velcro...maybe they can get the entire crew of a carrier on deck and, instead of making tunes with trash can lids, they can make some music by opening/closing the Velcro lol!

At least they haven't gone back to those nylon (?) unis that were reported to catch fire and melt from things like a Bic lighter in a pocket.

Seal76 wrote:

Why do personnel who are basically non combatants even wear camo in any service branch

No joke. I guess they want to feel like they fit in.

I suspect all these new uniforms are the result of some "gumint" contractor's lobbying efforts. I worked with a guy whose wife worked for one of the companies making uniforms and he said it was a BIG $$$ business.

Nice parka! Are there any matching gore-tex pants?

Thanks,

Philip

No pants.

In the 2nd photo, is that Navy emblem/USN upside down on purpose?!?!?!

All this Velcro...maybe they can get the entire crew of a carrier on deck and, instead of making tunes with trash can lids, they can make some music by opening/closing the Velcro lol!

The emblem is upside down on several areas of the uniform. I think it just has to do with the orientation of the cloth when they made the uniform. The velcro rank tab and the collar on the parka are the only velcro on the NWU's. All the pockets are secured by buttons. The buttons are identical to the Army buttons except they are dark blue rather than green.

Cobrahistorian
No joke. I guess they want to feel like they fit in.

Don'tcha mean "blend" in? It is camouflage after all.... although not for any environment I've seen, except maybe the surface of the ocean. I'll refer everyone back to my previous post. :D

Most USN ships and craft are HAZE GRAY. How does the New working uniform camoflage anyone onboard. Besides why do ship board sailors need camo. They are not the target the vessel is. Blending in or not while on board isn't going to help very much if the ship is attacked. IF a sailor gets blown overboard in the new outfir he may blend in with the water so that may or may not help his/her chances for survival. Uniform changes seem like a waste of time and money unless they are very well though out. Why isn't there one working uniform for all branches and perhaps a different dress uniform for each. In the IDF don't all banches have the same working and combat uniform and different dress uniforms? I don't know for sure.

Most USN ships and craft are HAZE GRAY. How does the New working uniform camoflage anyone onboard. Besides why do ship board sailors need camo. They are not the target the vessel is. Blending in or not while on board isn't going to help very much if the ship is attacked. IF a sailor gets blown overboard in the new outfir he may blend in with the water so that may or may not help his/her chances for survival. Uniform changes seem like a waste of time and money unless they are very well though out. Why isn't there one working uniform for all branches and perhaps a different dress uniform for each. In the IDF don't all banches have the same working and combat uniform and different dress uniforms? I don't know for sure.
The DRESS UNIFORMShave NOT changed. There is no intention of changing the DRESS UNIFORMS. What has changed is a working unigform that is replacing two other uniforms that were worn by office type shore duty people, and replacing the dungarees with another uniform that somebody thought would look more "Military" that blue jeans and a blue work shirt. The cammo is just a product of the modern view that everything has to be cammo to look military. But, the Dress Uniforms are not changing. The Whites MAY be changed to put blue piping and stars on them in the reverse of the Dress Blue uniform, but as far as I know at this time, that is just proposed.

Steve Hesson

The DRESS UNIFORMShave NOT changed. There is no intention of changing the DRESS UNIFORMS. What has changed is a working unigform that is replacing two other uniforms that were worn by office type shore duty people, and replacing the dungarees with another uniform that somebody thought would look more "Military" that blue jeans and a blue work shirt. The cammo is just a product of the modern view that everything has to be cammo to look military. But, the Dress Uniforms are not changing. The Whites MAY be changed to put blue piping and stars on them in the reverse of the Dress Blue uniform, but as far as I know at this time, that is just proposed.

Steve Hesson

The uniform should not change at all. In fact the the Undress blues should be done away with as well. Just keep the cracker jacks and white and blue and every branch should wear the woodland or ERDL pattern stateside and whenever appropriate. Desert Camo should aslo be standardized throughout the services with the exception of SPECOPS operators and support.

ABrangerjoe

It would be cool and convenient if we did go back to BDU/DCUs or ERDL. Every branch using the same combat uniform, and having their own dress uniforms makes a whole lot more sense.

-Joe

It would be cool and convenient if we did go back to BDU/DCUs or ERDL. Every branch using the same combat uniform, and having their own dress uniforms makes a whole lot more sense.

-Joe

I agree 100%

Three points:

1. What's the role of cool looking uniforms in recruiting?

2. You better believe there is someone's friend/brother/cousin/etc. making money from these changes.

3. Maybe velcro is the new D-Day Cricket for identifying friendly troops!

Capa

p.s. I do think the navy camo is kind sharp looking...

The uniform should not change at all. In fact the the Undress blues should be done away with as well. Just keep the cracker jacks and white and blue and every branch should wear the woodland or ERDL pattern stateside and whenever appropriate. Desert Camo should aslo be standardized throughout the services with the exception of SPECOPS operators and support.

There haven't been undress blues since '73. The khakishirt with black trousers is replacing the sumer white uniform, (short sleeved white shirt and front crease white trousers) and the winter blue uniform (long sleeve black shirt and tie with black front crease trousers). The Dress uniforms (Blue and White JUMPER uniforms with side crease trousers, white hat and neclershief) are not being abolished and are remaining as they are to be worn as the dress uniforms as they have been for the last hundred years or so. The only thing that is changing are the assorted working uniforms.

Steve Hesson

Check out this video on the upcoming WWI Exhibit at the National Museum of the Marine Corps posted in another thread by devildog34. The narrator is a sailor in the new uniform. I, at first glance, thought he was a sailor attached to the Marines like a Corpsman. BTW the vid is great. Bobgee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dafWOGZsYYY

3. Maybe velcro is the new D-Day Cricket for identifying friendly troops!

All:

I wear the NWU every day. There is NO velcro on the NWU, only buttons.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Dave

All I can say is those are gonna be a pain in the balls to see if someone goes overboard.
Just as a houmours aside to this, my son is in the Navy and wears these things. He is in a School that also has Marines in it. As they will do when they are young, during breaks they go into the age old "Our Service Is Better Than Your Service" postuering. The subject of the blue "cammo" uniforms being hard to see if you go over the side. Appearently the Marines were very interested and thought is was "Way Cool" to find out that when the Navy blue Cammies get wet with salt water, the blue turns Day Glow Orange specifically to assist with recovery ;) . Ahh, the good old days.

Steve Hesson

• 2 months later...

An E6 Navy recruiter came by the school I work at today. I asked why did the Navy go to blue camo, his reply was to blend in with the environment. To this I asked, is this a new method of Surface Warfare, are you guys walking on water now? :pinch: You operate off of big grey ships who's going to notice anyhow. He didn't have an answer for this grumpy old chief :rolleyes:

Also asked about the khaki's, the Chiefs hate them, can't tell who's who's anymore.

"I think that is a significant thought. The new uniform will blend in with the deep blue of the ocean along with the froth of waves. But even dungrees and the blue poop suits made recovery more difficult."

This is very true. In my time in the Navy, I participated in the shipboard recovery of three guys (seperte occassions) that went over the side. They were wearing the old dungarees, and one had an orange kapok life jacket . Pretty much impossible to see them if they wern't waving their hands. All that realy sticks above the water is your head, so the color of what your wearing doesn't matter. Maybe from the air, bright colors are easier to sea, but otherwise, it is all the same.

My real question about them is the practicalibility of them. I know the guys on the PC wore them, (BDUs) and that's great. But, the every day Squid out on the gray ships? For example, the boots are curently on sale at the exchange for $99. OK, If I got a whole year out of a pair of boon dockers when I was at sea I felt I got my $30 worth out of them. Same for uniforms. While I never got too "squishey" about my guys wearing "soiled" dungarees, there comes a point where they just need to be replaced, they get smagged on things, zippers fall apart (one of the benifits of the old dungarees with the button flies), They just wore out quickly in a ship board environment. My Son says it is going to cost something like $70 a set for these things!. I know it has been awhile, but I remmeber as a lad paying 75 cents for a pair of dungaree trousers and 65 cents for a shirt! They were supposed to get dirty, and when they were too trashed out you turned them into cleaning rags and got some new ones. But, at those prices, you could afford it. Any way, Like all Sailors the guys today will adapt to these uniforms and eventually some day the Navy will make a change and the guys now will wonder how drunk the uniform board was when they decided That!, What were they thinking.

Steve Hesson

My Son says it is going to cost something like $70 a set for these things!. I know it has been awhile, but I remmeber as a lad paying 75 cents for a pair of dungaree trousers and 65 cents for a shirt!

They cost $39.95 per trouser and per jacket...about $80 per set. That doesn't include the boots, t-shirts, cover, etc.

We don't wear them while underway onboard the ship though. We normally wear our coveralls, so the whole complaint of not being able to be seen is a moot point...the coveralls are solid navy blue anyway.

Lots of people complain about the boots. I don't mind them and wear them daily. That's probably the most common complaint about the uniform.

Dave

They cost $39.95 per trouser and per jacket...about $80 per set. That doesn't include the boots, t-shirts, cover, etc.

We don't wear them while underway onboard the ship though. We normally wear our coveralls, so the whole complaint of not being able to be seen is a moot point...the coveralls are solid navy blue anyway.

Lots of people complain about the boots. I don't mind them and wear them daily. That's probably the most common complaint about the uniform.

Dave

I had heard they were getting away from the coveralls too. I never liked them (I'm a bit tall, and could never find any that fit without biting me. Glad to hear they are thinking though. The new utility uniform looks cool, but just didn't seem functional to me for ship board use. We went through the "shirt hanging out of the trousers" thing in the '70s and it really didn't work then. Snipes would get snagged by macherniery and out on deck, the wind blowing up your shirt. Lots of guys were tucking them in despite regs. Any way, the fleet will work it out and in a few years, it won't even be a topic of discussion except for us old farts with nothing better to do that talk about the good old days (that really wern't that great).

Steve Hesson

Couple other notes of interest...

Probably the most liked part of the uniform is the parka. It's Gore-Tex with a fleece liner. Very nice...it works in just about any temperature that you'll find the uniform worn in. The only drawback is that we're not authorized to wear the fleece liner by itself. Strange as it makes a nice jacket.

In hot weather, it's pretty popular to wear the uniform without the blouse, which is pretty much standard for most services, but novel for us. It it supposed to only be done in workspaces, but most commands have authorized it within the confines of the command. At sea, you'll see a mixture of coveralls and NWU trousers with the t-shirt only. A little unusual for those used to a sea of dungarees or coveralls, but is becoming more commonplace.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

The new USN camo uniform looks useless. Why don't all branches wear the same type of camo anyway. It would save money. As a combat veteran of Vietnam (SEAL) I often wonder how effective camo uniforms are anyway. I wore Levis and an ERDL shirt with a tiger stripe hat. Others wore solid black (dyed OD Green Jungle fatigues). Other team members wore the whole ERDL uniform. I knew a few men who wore the Levis with an OD green t shirt or the issue Blue and Gold shirt (Blue side out). We all wore cmo face paint. The US moved from the ERDL jungle patterns to Woodland Camo, and Chocolate chip camo, three color desert camo and now we are on to digital camo, the Air Force Tiger Stripe camo and the US Navy digital working uniform. Why do the Air Force and ship board sailors need camo anyway. The only real camo that works is the Ghilley Suit in my opinion and that can only be used by a small number of troops. The bad guys in Vietnam did not wear camo uniforms and the Taliban and Al Queda fighters don't wear camo. Seems to work for them. Maybe we need to adapt our uniforms to the the enemy clothing is some circumstances. One thing is for sure there are far to many uniforms camo and dress uniforms. The uniforms change too often and don't accomplish anything except costing the service personnel, the service branch and the American taxpayer more money. Don't the Israeli Defense Force all wear the same uniform? The only different uniform they wear is their dress uniform. While I'm ranting I think there are far to many medals and awards too. Some of which enlisted men have little or no opportunity to earn. Oh yeah and the US Army has too many badges and insignia. I feel bad for them having to keep all those things up to date. How do they even keep track of them? I am sure I got way off topic. My apologies.

• 11 months later...