The new Navy Working Uniform

svt40

Here are some photos fo the new Navy Working Uniform. Now you have something else to look for to add to your modern collection.

The blouse.

DSC00651.jpg

The emblem for the USS Constituition which is embroidered on all the new NWU's.

DSC00652.jpg

Similar to the Marines the Navy also has this same symbol hidden throughout the digital camo pattern.

DSC00653.jpg

Rank badges are sewn to the collar.

DSC00654.jpg

Warfare specialization and US Navy over the left breast pocket. A second warfare qualification would be sewn below the US Navy.

DSC00655.jpg

The pants. Elastic in the waist and cargo pockets. No blousing strings in the cuffs. Name badge sewn over the right rear pocket.

DSC00656.jpg

The cover. Same pattern as the Marines with the 8 points with rank sewn to the front. The rank is a different size than the collar ranks.

DSC00658.jpg

I also have the parka that I can take pictures of if people want to see it.

bravo_2_zero

Thanks, i somewhat guessed this cut and print would make the final item. This makes the 3 failed items more collectible.

At Norfolk naval base last month, the tour guides wore a new (to me) uniform ensemble: tan USMC-style short sleeve shirts/blouses with navy blue (black) trous and overseas-style cap of same color. Rank insignia were bright silver meteal pin-ons on the collars. They said the ensemble went into effect on 1 April; when I remarked that was April Fool's Day, one said "So noted" and another said "You are so right".

About 10% of teh swabbies I saw around teh docks and supply center were wearing the NWU and another 10% were wearing MARPAT desert cammies. The rest wore either dungarees or woodland BDUs.

ABrangerjoe

Yeah the Navy is giving E-1 to E-6 khakis. Khaki blouse, black trousers and black garrison cover. In my NJROTC unit we're supposed to get these blue NWUs for next year. I don't particularly care for them. It's just like the Air Force with their failed blue BDUs. In my opinion the branches should just pick a camouflage and stay with it. All these changes are expensive. Just my thoughts.

post-5137-1248125737.jpg

post-5137-1248125742.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC
In my opinion the branches should just pick a camouflage and stay with it. All these changes are expensive. Just my thoughts.

You can say that again! These changes are expensive to the DoD but VERY expensive for the servicemen.

After spending a couple hundred dollars for Desert boots and desert cammies once I got to the FMF they came out with the digital pattern wich cost me an additional $775 + out of pocket after getting two pair of $150 boots 5 pair of $75 dollar cammies plus name tapes 8 point covers, boonie covers and helmet covers, all of which the soldier has to buy out of pocket. The $100 a year uniform allowance doesn't even pay for one pair of the new boots which are "unservicable" after one scuff since you can't repair or polish them.

In my opinion the branches should just pick a camouflage and stay with it. All these changes are expensive. Just my thoughts.

My thoughts exactly! Sooo much cheaper if all the armed forces wore the same camoflage uniforms. For the government and the end user.

NWU's costs $93 just the blouse and pants!!

SVT40,

is the NWU you post gonna be the one and only version of camo, for all theater ? I mean is there a "desert version" available.

@stv40: Is this the final version of the NWU?

And I totally agree with you guys. All branches should use the same camo(s)...

ABrangerjoe

We should go back to BDUs and DCUs (or something similar, one uniform that works for everyone). All branches can wear them at a relatively cheap price. To tell the difference all you need are branch tapes and pocket stamps (for example USMC), I don't see why everyone has to be different when it comes to combat uniforms, of course you have to take into account the climate and weather conditions, but if we all have the same uniform it will be more cost effective and easier to tell who's who in the battlespace. Again, just my thoughts.

-Joe

SVT40,

is the NWU you post gonna be the one and only version of camo, for all theater ? I mean is there a "desert version" available.

This is the only one that will be used for the Navy. If a sailor is assigned to a shore command like IA then they are issued the host commands uniforms whether that is ACU, DCU or MARPATs. This uniform is meant to replace the blue coveralls.

@stv40: Is this the final version of the NWU?

And I totally agree with you guys. All branches should use the same camo(s)...

This is the final version and is in current issue starting on the east coast. It is scheduled to be in full issue by late 2010.

The uniform is also supposed to be worn with black rough out boots. But for those in aviation ratings they do not make compatable boots (FOD free soles) for the flight deck so they are still wearing the issued flight deck boots with this uniform even though they are not the correct height.

Oh my good Lord! Lightening is going to strike you dead for sure. All branches look the same and save money to boot! It's not a bad thought but I wouldn't bet it will happen any time soon.

I never had to wear anything close to this. We wore starched cotton fatigues that would stand on their own.

If the DOD wanted to give the Navy a camo uniform they should have made them Haze Gray LOL!!! What on earth does a sailor need camo for on a ship?!?!?! And even if they did need camo for shore duty (like filling in manpower gaps in the desert), all the services ought to wear the same camo.

I also question the use of Velcro on unis. There's no way you can open a Velcro pocket without making noise which is going to get you shot at if you're in an ambush type scenario.

Stinger Gunner USMC
I also question the use of Velcro on unis. There's no way you can open a Velcro pocket without making noise which is going to get you shot at if you're in an ambush type scenario.

This was the same concern with the Marpat diaganal cut pocket flaps... Then the Army brought out their ACU which is covered with velcro!

All because of the old buttons wearing through with repeated ironing. But, the new unifoms are no starch/no iron so the buttons shouldnt be an issue anyway

What is the world coming to! The woodland BDU's worked great for the AF/USMC/Army for many years. The ABU is a joke IMHO, as to the navy's new work uniform what up I say. My 1951 Blue Jackets manual said the white sailor hat could be used to help bail out the small boat taking water, the bell bottom pants allowed a sailor to get out of his pants quick while in the water and then could be made into an emergency floatation device. I wonder how well the new gear will do the same thing.

But this comes from a guy who still wears ERDL pattern camo's and has since 1970. I atill haven't found anything more comfortable.

Yea in the last 20 years the Navy has gone through a lot of uniform changes. The first to go was the good ol dungarees. The chambray shirt, bell bottom blue jean material trousers all went bye bye. They were replaced by a similar style shirt but with straight legged trousers.

Then they changed them again to the just replaced utility uniform which is very similar to the first replacement. Now they replaced the utilities with the new khaki and black working uniform. Very Marine looking. This new uniform not only replaced the old utilities but also the winter blues and working whites.

The dress whites and dress blues with white hat are still around however.

Now coveralls are funny. At first you were issued blue coveralls for free to keep your dungarees clean. You could also sometimes get the heavy green coveralls. Now someone decided that they wanted sailors to add rank insignia to their coveralls. Shortly thereafter the organizationally issued blue coveralls went the way for the DoDo bird. Now the sailor had to buy his blue coveralls and pay about $40 to add all the required insignia! Guess what. You could no longer get the blue coveralls even if your organizion still had them in stock. They would only issue you the green ones now. Of course the NWU has replaced the coveralls.

Of course you are not allowed out of your vehicle off base in anything but the dress uniforms. Except in an emergency.

I'll get some shots of the parka for you all tomorrow.

This uniform is meant to replace the blue coveralls.

Great a $75.00 freaking camo suit to replace a $20.00 blue jumpsuit! This camo is going to pick up grease and dirt like crazy, to say nothing of the sweat stains from being in a walking sauna.

The logo is just funny!

T-Bone

shrapneldude

The USN has WAYYYY too many uniforms as it is now!

A trip to the Naval Hospital at Lejeune was like a Navy fashion show. Short and Long sleeve black uniforms, blue pants and light blue shirts, white button-down short sleeves, white jumpers, blue coveralls, khakis (for SNCOS and Officers only I think, unless that's been changed). Not to mention all the different hats, ribbons, tailoring, and accessorizing they need for each uniform...plus the forman, semi-formal, and ultra-ultra formal dress uniforms they're required to maintain!

The Marine Corps has it pretty well nailed down -- Woodland and Desert cammies, a set of Alphas, charlie (short sleeve shirt), and dress blues.

IF the Navy will wear one and only one "working" uniform, and this is it...that's fine...

but they won't.

The USN has WAYYYY too many uniforms as it is now!

I was thinking the other day about the fact that my walk-in closet is now half full of uniforms...and not ones from my collection! In order to be "fully" outfitted, I have:

- 3 sets (jacket and trouser) of service dress blues

- 2 sets of blue mess dress

- 2 white mess dress jackets (the trousers are the same as the blue)

- 2 sets of "choker" whites

- 3 sets of the summer white (short sleeve) shirt and trousers

- 3 sets of poly-wool khakis (short sleeve, for wear in offices)

- 3 sets of the Navy Working Uniform

- 1 NWU parka and liner

- 2 sets of woodland camouflage utilities

- 1 woodland camo parka

- 2 "ike" jackets for wear with the khaki and white uniforms

- 1 raincoat (I've never worn it)

- 1 wool overcoat

- 1 "bridge" coat (the officer version of the peacoat)

- 4 pair of coveralls

- 3 sets of Navy PT gear, to include both long and short sleeve shirts

Note that I've never been stationed in the Middle East, so I don't have the additional 3 to 4 sets of desert camouflage that many of my contemporaries have. Not to mention my friends who have served with the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan who also have 3 sets of ACUs.

Because I've been to lazy to throw them out, I still have 3 sets of "wash" khakis that were replaced by the NWUs. Those will get chucked here in the near future...

And my wife wonders why I only want to keep one set of blues when I retire and send everything else to the local Goodwill! :think:

Dave

I was thinking the other day about the fact that my walk-in closet is now half full of uniforms...and not ones from my collection! In order to be "fully" outfitted, I have:

- 3 sets (jacket and trouser) of service dress blues

- 2 sets of blue mess dress

- 2 white mess dress jackets (the trousers are the same as the blue)

- 2 sets of "choker" whites

- 3 sets of the summer white (short sleeve) shirt and trousers

- 3 sets of poly-wool khakis (short sleeve, for wear in offices)

- 3 sets of the Navy Working Uniform

- 1 NWU parka and liner

- 2 sets of woodland camouflage utilities

- 1 woodland camo parka

- 2 "ike" jackets for wear with the khaki and white uniforms

- 1 raincoat (I've never worn it)

- 1 wool overcoat

- 1 "bridge" coat (the officer version of the peacoat)

- 4 pair of coveralls

- 3 sets of Navy PT gear, to include both long and short sleeve shirts

Note that I've never been stationed in the Middle East, so I don't have the additional 3 to 4 sets of desert camouflage that many of my contemporaries have. Not to mention my friends who have served with the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan who also have 3 sets of ACUs.

Because I've been to lazy to throw them out, I still have 3 sets of "wash" khakis that were replaced by the NWUs. Those will get chucked here in the near future...

And my wife wonders why I only want to keep one set of blues when I retire and send everything else to the local Goodwill! :think:

Dave

While I agree thatin the last thirty years the Navy has done all it can to screw up it's uniforms, I think it all needs to be taken in context. I have been retired from the Navy for ten years, but while I was in, most of what is on Daves list was optional.

As a Chief, I had two sets of dress blues. I had one heavy set left over from the Zummwalt days that I wore for Quarterdeck watches when it was really cold. The other one sat in the locker for things like inspections or actually having to dress for something when it was not really cold.

Five of the Winter blues (black shirt and tie uniforms) that I only wore while I was training recruits. After leaving that job, I went back to sea and never wore them again.

Three sets of Sumer Whites (short sleeve white uniforms). Wore these for quarter deck watches in the summer. Didn't need three, just picked them up when I was training recruits as we wore them more often there. One set would have done just fine.

One set of Dress (choker) Whites. I wore this uniform three times in 15 years.

Three sets of the old CNT Khakis. Again, a uniform I wore while training recruits.

Five sets of wash khakis. Lived in these, wore them every day. The working uniform for sea going Chiefs & Officers. The rest of it just sat in a locker

I also had a Khaki jacket whick I did wear with the wash khakis and a black Jacket which I had worn with the black shirts

I had a set of Mess Dress Blues which were optional because the wife and I liked to attend things like the CPO Ball and the Navy Ball (when they still had them) Never had the white Mess Dress as there were never and fancy affairs in the sumer (or I was at sea).

I had a cuple sets of the blue coveralls because I was that Chief that cralled into all the dark grimey parts of the ship to actually see what was happening. I did not like them as I am 6 feet 4, and the cover alls were always a bit short, "bitting" me in the crotch.

I had a P-Coat (original issue), a rain coat and a sweater.

At one time or another I was also issued the green fatigue uniform, Green Jungle fatigues and BDU cammies for one reason or another but either wore them out or gave them away when the detail they were for was finished.

The thing with Navy uniforms these days is that much of it is divided up between what you wear ashore and what you wear at sea. When you enlist, you get some of each ahd are required to maintain it al even though most sea going guys toss it into the seabag locker and forget about it. If you stay in long enough, as you bounce between sea and shore duty you amass a bunch of "special Purpose" stuff.

One of the reasons for this latest uniform change was to eliminate some of the "stuff". The NSU (khaki shirt and black trousers) is to eliminate the black shirt and white shirt uniforms. My son was issued the NSU and neither of the others. So basically the differance between having two sets of uniforms he can wearr all year (ashore) or four uniflrms he can wear part of the year (ashore) None of this was seen much afloat.

The NWU? Seems kind of pointless to me. I'm sure the shore duty folks will feel all spiffy looking like everybody else in a non combat "combat uniform". For some reasson the Navy has decided they want Sailors to look like Marines (the "Logo" btw is the central device of the Navy flag). I am courious to see haw the sea going Navy modifies this beast. This uniform was being issued to recruits at Great Lakes in May. My son was leaving just as the first new companies were receiving them. Personaly, while I don't really like either the NSU or NWU as they look too Marine, they are better than what they are repalcing.

Steve Hesson

ABrangerjoe

A non combat "combat uniform" :lol: :lol:

Yeah you've only got to wonder what the research and development/ test people are thinking, I'm just a high school student and the government's not paying me to think of new uniforms. They've got to be doing this for some reason.

Another thing: a few test versions of the dress whites are putting cuffs like the dress blues on them (see picture). And the Navy is thinking of bringing back the old WWII officer's khakis. I also read in the Navy Times about going back to hammocks instead of racks and no washing machines. Dragging your uniforms behind the ship. Who knows all we can do is wait and see. :wacko:

post-5137-1248191777.jpg

post-5137-1248191782.jpg

A non combat "combat uniform" :lol: :lol:

Yeah you've only got to wonder what the research and development/ test people are thinking, I'm just a high school student and the government's not paying me to think of new uniforms. They've got to be doing this for some reason.

Another thing: a few test versions of the dress whites are putting cuffs like the dress blues on them (see picture). And the Navy is thinking of bringing back the old WWII officer's khakis. I also read in the Navy Times about going back to hammocks instead of racks and no washing machines. Dragging your uniforms behind the ship. Who knows all we can do is wait and see. :wacko:

The Dress Khakis for officers are already in. I see the Admirals on TV wearing them. They do look better on TV than just a short sleeved shirt when compared to the talking heads of the other services.

Those dress whites?? Well, if they do come in, the curent jumpers will be dropped. I don't know why they put blue piping on white cuffs and collars. Prior to 1940, the dress white jumper had blue collar and cuffs with white piping and stars like the blues. These look sort of "sickley".

As for the Navys new cammies, they claim it will be better for the Sailor as stains won't show up so much :lol: Yeah right. The whole point of dungarees in the first place was to be dirty. Then it became a "Not to be dirty" work uniform. I spent my life on ships, you get dirty.

Steve Hesson

What is the world coming to! The woodland BDU's worked great for the AF/USMC/Army for many years. The ABU is a joke IMHO, as to the navy's new work uniform what up I say. My 1951 Blue Jackets manual said the white sailor hat could be used to help bail out the small boat taking water, the bell bottom pants allowed a sailor to get out of his pants quick while in the water and then could be made into an emergency floatation device. I wonder how well the new gear will do the same thing.

But this comes from a guy who still wears ERDL pattern camo's and has since 1970. I atill haven't found anything more comfortable.

The ERDL was my favorite. I wore all or part of it as a SEAL deployed to RVN. All these different camo uniforms for each service branch is rediculous. Pick one for each theater of operatation and stay with it. The Navy working uniform just plain sucks. Haze gray would have been better. The new Navy dress uniform is messed up. Cracker Jacks for E6 and below is the way to go. I have feeling that someone in congress or the supply chain has a few friends in the uniform busines and they are making money hand over fist. The SEALs are wearing the good old woodland stateside and elswhere. They are wearing the three color desert BDU or plain khaki in Iraq and Afghanistan. KISS should be the rule of thumb when it comes to all uniforms. What is with the AF tiger stripe looking uniform. Why do personnel who are basically non combatants even wear camo in any service branch? What is the deal with velcro. Doesn't noise discipline count any more. Who designs these things. How about the slant pockets are the Army bdu jacket, next to useless. Why no hip pockets on them either?

Cobrahistorian

All I can say is those are gonna be a pain in the balls to see if someone goes overboard.

All I can say is those are gonna be a pain in the balls to see if someone goes overboard.

I think that is a significant thought. The new uniform will blend in with the deep blue of the ocean along with the froth of waves. But even dungrees and the blue poop suits made recovery more difficult.

In the 70's the dungree uniform pants were the "in" thing with their patch pockets. But they sure were a pain.

From my understanding, the Navy was (Key word - WAS) trying to reduce the seabag sailors had to maintain. I believe that they may have lost the working blues and undress whites, replacing them with one uniform for E6 and below. Of course, that room has been taken by the PT uniform they are currently required to have.

Adding the blue piping to the Dress whites looks sharp imho and I also think the khaki Jacket for CPO's & Zeros does look alot more professional.

Just my two cents.

Jon B

Newaygo MI