would you read a book on the web?

jgawne

This is a two part question:

Most of you folks are familiar with some of my books. Two in particular SPearheading D-day and Americans in Brittany are now OOP and the rights (with the exception of some of the artwork and a few photos) have returned to me. A publisher offered me a deaLto a non-illustrated pb version but I thoiughj it would just not work in tht format.

So I am more and more seriously considering converting it for the web. Now if I just pdf's it some jerks would just copy it and sell it on CD's. So I was thinking of brealing it up into decent sized chunks as true HTML. This would also allow me to link things to specific sites, and also add in new info, or link to a further explanation at points people have mentioned ot me.

so the questionis if I did this,

1. would it annoy you or would you be happy to be able to read it for free on the web.

2. How many people understand that of a page had google ads on it, that if you find the site interesting and click one or two ads the owner gets a few cents (which ads up). Which is somethign I do whenever I find a useful web page.

I'm old school... Give me paper, binding and a book shelf. Of course, I still ride a dinosaur so what do I know. ;)

Having been a professional writer, editor and publisher for print media as well as a website developer and webmaster (since about 1994) I have to say that I have yet to find an digital format that is as easy to read and use as a printed book or newspaper. I use Google Books quite a bit to view excerpts but it is not something I would use to read all of a book. I read good things about Amazon's Kindle but that is a niche format and I don't know how it works with illustrations.

If I were doing a book these days I'd have to seriously consider the "print on demand" route where you don't have the obligation to have 3,000 books printed but can order a relative few at a time to meet your sales demand. I actually did that a client a few years back; it was small booklet heavy on illustrations: I designed it in Quark and about once a month they'd order half-a-dozen copies.

I've formatted books for HTML, but prefer PDF because you maintain better control over the format and look and you can still do hot links in PDF files and they are searchable. Adobe Acrobat also allows you to incorporate some security features. I've done a couple of technical manuals with Acrobat: one for reading on the computer, another which was laid out to be printed as a saddle bound book.

I would suggest that even if you decide to do an HTML book, that you also put it in PDF format as a higher-quality digital archive.

I've tried to read online books, just not the same. It is hard to relax and read and really hard to keep your place.

I really prefer to have a book in my hands. Online books are just not the same for me. Nothing like holding it in your hands.

Arch

EasyRed1944

Definately a book , a book can't crash , but a computer can.

At home you just grab a book and read it, so simple...

It's getting a little bit one-sided, but I also prefer books.

Actually I wonder, Jon, how many of us that say they prefer books have bought all yours.....

Uhhhh. My name is Richard and must admitt I don't have a copy of Spearheading D-Day yet. :blushing: Please have mercy. ;) But still have available space in my bookcase beside Jon's other publications.

Books, eventually become collections of books, weighing hundreds or thousands of pounds.

If what I want is information (which is 99% of the time), then the web is fantastic and I don't mind at all paying something REASONABLE - for the privilege.

If what I want is an artifact, to cherish, preserve and bequeath... then a book regardless how much it weighs.

Plus, I like their scent.

no one is as big a fan of books as I am, but if color is involved, for now the whole POD way is out- besides, From what I see the only one making any money doing POD books are the printing companies.

So if you have a choice of paying $100+ for an old OOP copy, (if you can find one) or being able to pursue a new and updated version for free, do your feelings change?

The very sad thing is you let a PDF copy slip out and within days someone is flogging it on ebay, and giving copies to all their friends. Although personally I have become quite fond of pdf books as I can keep a ton of them on my laptop- (which as a tablet I can turn sideways to read). I used to go on research trips carrying piles of official WW1 and WW2 histories in case I need them... now they are all in the laptop.

The really funny thing is that right now Google is legally able to put sections online, and has denied me my rights to obtain compensation as since the ISBN is French (H+C) they claim it was "never distributed in the USA" and have refused my claim.

Unfortunatly it will be a while until POD photogrpahic reproduction gets any good.

Books, eventually become collections of books, weighing hundreds or thousands of pounds.

If what I want is information (which is 99% of the time), then the web is fantastic and I don't mind at all paying something REASONABLE - for the privilege.

If what I want is an artifact, to cherish, preserve and bequeath... then a book regardless how much it weighs.

Plus, I like their scent.

Bluehawk, you take the words out of my mouth...

I love books, old books and yes I am ready to pay high prices for OOP books of my interest.

I still like books and yes, I have Jon's books on my shelf along with the afore mentioned hundreds of pounds of other reference books. I like .pdf to a point for convenience of travel. However, in my case, they are used a quick reference but, I still jump back to a book and a cup of coffee. On top of that, when the power goes out, I do my Abe Lincoln impersonation and read by candle light. Yes!!!! I admit it, I'll pay $100.00 for a book... I'm weak! I can't change... God help me! ;)

While I prefer hardback books like Jon's (I think I have all your books Jon!), I have found a few non-military magazines that are free for downloading (so I guess I'm really not reading them online after all). I think they're all pdf format and easy to read on a 19" LCD screen.

Look here:

MODEL RAILROAD HOBBYIST

and here:

SEABOARD COAST LINE MODELER

and here:

O SCALE MAGAZINE

I especially like the way you can click on a web address in the magazine and it'll open the link.

The problem of online stuff is that it's there one day and gone the next, the user has no control unless they download it to their PC.

Bob

It depends. When it comes to books about collectibles and specific campaigns nothing beats glossy paper and lots of color photos printed onto something you can take everywhere. I may buy an online version of a book only containing text but if it is really good then I feel like aquiring "the real thing".

I subscribe to the Military History Review and still print all PDFs. It's a pain to read on a screen. Also, I believe a lot of people still prefer to go to a book store than just order something online.

River Patrol

I love books. I have paid excessive money for OOP books that I wanted.

However, I'm learning to appreciate web books or articles, especially those that are free. So, yes I would read your book on the web if it were made available.

Steve

• 1 month later...

I belong to the old generation that still prefers to phisically read (and to own) books rather than to read them on my pc's monitor.It's also a matter of eyes'effort,if it's ok to read some articles on the pc it's still quite difficult(for me at least) to read a whole book without pause looking at the screen.THe monitor is ok when I have to find something quickly and it is not too long to read.I prefer the computer when it comes to pictures,if the pictures posted are of good quality,because then I can maximize any detail I am interested in.

Give me books, real books, on paper anytime! No electricity needed, portable, etc. Quick question - Are my Jon Gawne signed books worth more on the open market? Jon's signature must add considerably to the value - does $50 to $100 each seem reasonable?

Tom Heinonen

Being new to computers and forums and sights where you can look at books I find myself looking at a book on the net mostly to determine if it is something I would want to add to my library.I think a lot of this has to do with being from a generation that didn't grow up using computers and books were the only informational resource available.As to would I sit down and read a book on the web,most likely no,I would look it over and decide yea or nay on buying it.

It is the UNSIGNED copies that are valuable Tom.

But the question is, if the book is unavailable as a bound copy, is it worth putting it on the web?

• 3 months later...
But the question is, if the book is unavailable as a bound copy, is it worth putting it on the web?

I, for one, feel it is worth putting unavailable reference works on the web.

I read novels on Kindle and on my iPod Touch, but I generally prefer my reference materials on paper. If a work is out of print I'd certainly go to the web.

-dan

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer books as well, especially if the book is collectible and can be got for a good price. And I can't read a computer in bed; in fact I can't put my feet up and relax in front of the computer either.

There are some online studies which are invaluable and aren't in book format, however. Right now on PDF I have "Learning Under Fire" which is a detailed dissertation about the 112th Cavalry's WWII experience, as well as "Combat Readiness in 8th Army" which takes an in-depth look at the units which were sent to the Korean War from Japan.

But there's just something about a good book that a fragile CD or an abstract computer file.

Actually I do read books on my laptop in bed.

I alos have a tablet laptop which lets me flip th escreen around and read them easier, but of course I prefer a real book. The question is, is it worth putting something unavaiable on the web, or will no one ever care or look at it.

I still have not figured it out, but thankfully I am swamped with enough else to do.