SOG boots

Spike

While on tour with KISS in in Ottawa Canada, right next to the gig was the Canadian War Museum. Along with displays of military vehicles and displays of Canada's military history, the was an exhibition about camoflauge, various histies of it and how it was used, developed and also the commercial applications/civilian uses, I saw the often talked about but as far as I know, never seen in person SOG boots, I should say boot as there was only one on display. It had the sandel sole on it and to me it almost looked new in construction. Maybe the materials used for this boot were in use during Vietnam. Anyway, enjoy the pics....

post-532-1247873826.jpg

post-532-1247873943.jpg

vintageproductions

Have read about these but have never seen one. Now to just get to see a footprint one. Love the look of the worn down Ho Chi Minh sandal sole.

Weren't these made by the Bata boot company?

Have read about these but have never seen one. Now to just get to see a footprint one. Love the look of the worn down Ho Chi Minh sandal sole.

Weren't these made by the Bata boot company?

Bob,

Would make sense that Bata may have made them as they were a Canadian Company and the ones Spike pictured were in a Canadian museum.

Stantons book states there was a print less boot developed first/prior to the foot or sandal print.The printless was manufactured by Natick and then tested.The pattern was to eliminate the sole pattern by having this new boot leaving a leaf pattern.Sent to SF in for evaluation in August 67.Stanton futher writesthat 2 dozen pair were made and rushed for testing.The program was then cancelled 26 August 1967.

RD

bit confused as to wwy they are made from desert boots, looks like some repro ones we have in our collection. The sole ground off and molded foot put on etc.

kriegsmodell

Bob et al,

Regarding these boots and Bob's Post #7. Now to just get to see a footprint one. I have never physically examined any footprint pattern boots and the attached is the only photograph that I have encountered. The black and white photograph attached is from Leroy Thompson's, The Illustrated History of the US Army Special Forces, Citadel Press, 1987. The photo appears on page 83 and is attributed to Eagle Magazine. The caption reads - "Among the stranger items of MACV/SOG equipment in Vietnam were these shoes, designed to leave footprints that would appear to be those of Vietnamese peasants. In actuality, the shoes were not widely used." These also appear to be Bata made or at least similar in manufacture. My thoughts only .....

post-3151-1247924623.jpg

post-3151-1247924636.jpg

post-3151-1247924650.jpg

craig_pickrall

I have seen a pair of these many years ago. I don't have photos. I think they were at the QM Museum at Ft Lee, VA but if not there then it was the SF Museum at Ft Bragg, NC. At one time Ft Lee had a good bit of experimental or early pattern Vietnam gear on display but it disappeared many years ago during a remodeling.

If you look at the pictures from those articles the boots have a fuzzy look to them, not a smooth leather look like normal jungle boots so it appears that the boot I took pictures of are the same type as the one in the articles.

Beau-Brummel

They look like suede to me too Spike.

Also the contrast between the suede uppers and nylon shaft Is nowhere as dramatic as I would expect from normal black and green jungles In a B&W photo.

I think the picture In stantons Is clearer than this.

Yours, Guy.

If you look at the pictures from those articles the boots have a fuzzy look to them, not a smooth leather look like normal jungle boots so it appears that the boot I took pictures of are the same type as the one in the articles.

kriegsmodell

Thanks Guy. I had forgotten that there was a photograph in Shelby Stanton's US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War, Stackpole Books, 1989. The photograph is on page 139 and attributed to the US Army. Captioned as follows - "The Army's experimental "barefoot boot" was designed to leave the imprint of native feet by Special Forces patrol members." The photos are somewhat similar in staging and layout. Might have even been taken at the same time.

I also agree with the comments of the other members about the suede or rough out leather appearance as well as fabric demarcation at the the nylon body. My thoughts only - Lance .....

post-3151-1247935273.jpg

your right they do have a rough out look to them, I just checked the Stanton book and saw the suede like surface. Interesting.

A guy I used to know have a pair of sandal soled jungle boots. He got them from a large SOG grouping offered by Bill Brooks some years ago.

The boots have a Filippino company shoemaker tag. They are steel toed and very heavy and stiff. No way you could hump the boonies with them on your feet.

Spathologist

They look uncomfortable, with the wearer's heel stuck out unsupported.

Don't think I'd like to hump with them.

They look uncomfortable, with the wearer's heel stuck out unsupported.

Don't think I'd like to hump with them.

I was thinking that too. I could see a person rolling their ankle big time with those.

---Chris

The pricipal idea was good but in all reality the boots didnt work.As mentioned they were not comfortable and when worn the boots still left a tell tale sole out line in soft soil.

RD

bravo_2_zero

the ones pictured look factory 2nds to me. I to would say the boots were real pigs to wear and i can imagine on wet and rocks, they were somewhat dangerous to the operator to wear.

• 6 years later...

I know this is a long dormant topic- but I wanted to add this.

The boots were made by Wellco in Waynesville, NC, designed by their Ro-Search branch that developed the direct molded sole technology used in the boots.

When I worked there in the 90's/early 2000's doing some consulting work I was shown the original molds, and got to talk to the man who made them and who still worked there. They even fired up the mold and made another pair to put on display in the short-lived retail shot they opened outside Ft Bragg.

In 2008 Tactical Holding purchased Wellco and shut down the original plant. Loads of historical molds were tossed in the scrap as the new owners had no clue of what it was or the historical value. An employee there managed to scoop up one of the original footprint molds and brought it to me.

post-159963-0-77020000-1440553541.jpg

post-159963-0-61969200-1440553553.jpg

That is cool, I read somewhere that the footprint was too big to represent that of a native footprint.

Royalvolanteerregt, did the ww2 special forces/commandos pull wool socks over their boots to cover the sole print?