DMV: Daughters of Military Veterans?

KevinBeyer

I have recently acquired this membership badge. It was purported as belonging to the Daughters of Military Veterans. I have never heard of this organization, nor was I able to find any information about it online. The designation appears plausible based upon the symbolism used in the design of this badge. I am just not certain if the information is correct.

If anyone can provide me with a confirmation on the identity of this badge, I would greatly appreciate it.

DaughtersOfMilitaryVeterans.jpg

Thank you in advance,

Kevin

memphismeister

mayby this helps

Olive Howald, Harriet Knapp, Eva Merwin, Frank Merwin and Bertha Martin organized on May 30, 1885 and held the first meeting on June 3, 1885 at the home of Eva Merwin, 419 First Street, S.E. Massillon, Ohio.

Incorporated December 12, 1885, Massilion, Ohio. Signers of the Original Articles of Incorporation: Minnie F. King, Bertha M. Martin, Olive F. Howald, Eva Merwin and Any Merrill.

National Alliance Daughters of Veterans endorsed by The Grand Army of the Republic at the 34th Annual Encampment held in Chicago, Illinois, 1900.

Name changed to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War at the 35th National Convention held in Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1925.

Name changed to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861-1865 at the 54th National Convention held in Des Moines, Iowa, 1944.

Federal Charter granted by Public Law 99-172--December 9, 1985.

National Headquarters dedicated April 13, 1969.

503 S. Walnut St.

Springfield, IL 62704-1932

217-544-0616

[email protected]

mayby this helps

Olive Howald, Harriet Knapp, Eva Merwin, Frank Merwin and Bertha Martin organized on May 30, 1885 and held the first meeting on June 3, 1885 at the home of Eva Merwin, 419 First Street, S.E. Massillon, Ohio.

Incorporated December 12, 1885, Massilion, Ohio. Signers of the Original Articles of Incorporation: Minnie F. King, Bertha M. Martin, Olive F. Howald, Eva Merwin and Any Merrill.

National Alliance Daughters of Veterans endorsed by The Grand Army of the Republic at the 34th Annual Encampment held in Chicago, Illinois, 1900.

Name changed to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War at the 35th National Convention held in Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1925.

Name changed to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861-1865 at the 54th National Convention held in Des Moines, Iowa, 1944.

Federal Charter granted by Public Law 99-172--December 9, 1985.

National Headquarters dedicated April 13, 1969.

503 S. Walnut St.

Springfield, IL 62704-1932

217-544-0616

[email protected]

I think these are two different organizations and the DV and DUV are not related to the Daughters of Military Veterans.

Here is the first badge for the Daughters of Veterans.

DV_medal.JPG

Here is the redesigned badge for the organization after the name change to Daughters of Union Veterans.

DUV_medal.JPG

These two groups are related to Civil War Veterans and are auxiliary orders of the GAR. Here is a view of the back of this particular badge.

DUV_medal_back.JPG

MemphisMeister,

I concur with SARGE, the two organizations are different. The Daughters of Veterans and the Daughters of Military Veterans are unrelated. Now, that is not to say that these women were not daughters of Civil War veterans. It is merely meant to say that these groups were not one and the same.

I might have to consider writing to the city officials of Amsterdam, NY, to see if they have any records of this group.

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Kevin,

Was reviewing older postings when I found this one. Recently got an item that may explain this badge. Figure 1 shows a similar badge with a top bar impressed with the word FELDWEBEL; a German word that roughly means Field Sergeant. As a consequence, if we think of DMV as German letters, we have DEUTSCHE MILITAR VEREIN (German Military Association/Society/Organization). Such groups were more common in American from the Civil War to WWI. The flag in the center of the badge appears to have three horizontal bars like the German national flag. The crossed swords in American means Cavalry, while in Germany, I think, it means Army the same way an anchor means Navy. The back of the badge is plain, but has a mfg mark of C. G. BRAKMAR CO--10 MAIDEN LANE--NEW YORK. The existance of a cap badge with a Company 'A' letter implies a group with uniforms.

Figure 2 is a photo of a German military society formed in Richmond, Indiana in 1907 which illustrates the use of the letters DMV on the iron cross symbol in center of the group and what appears to be a three bar flag behind the group. Not readable on the lower arm of the iron cross is printed GEG. (organized) 15 DEC 07 RICHMOND, IND. While most of the members are wearing some form of a lapel pin, many have what appears to be a Franco-Prussian War medal. This medal may explain the appearent age of the group membership. One member, in the first seated line behind and just right of the iron cross, has several medals; their shape implies service in the 1864 war with Denmark and/or 1866 war with Austria. I can only assume such groups disappeared during the anti-German hysteria of WWI. Do not know if such groups were more veteran society in structure (usually denoted by the word KRIEGER in their title), a local home guard type of unit, or just a parade society.

post-1633-1300242991.jpg

post-1633-1300243192.jpg