Early Flight helmet

ronl

I dont know all the designations of this helmet but it appears to be one of the P4 series helmets.Is there a woven label sewn to or under one of the liner straps?

Nice find.These early jet helmets are one of my favorites.Thanks for posting

RON

Cobrahistorian

I can't tell, is that gold or green? If it is green, it is an Army P-series helmet. They're pretty hard to find! I know the 28th division museum has one in their collection, but that's the only one I've seen "in the flesh". If it is gold, it is a Navy variant. P-series helmets are getting pretty valuable these days.

Jon

Austin_Militaria

It is a USAF Toptex 3BM flight helmet made by Mine Safety Appliance. Mostly worn by Military and Civilian Test pilots in the 1960's (could have been a Navy Test Pilot). No USN groups used these. Nice to see it with the visor cover and bag. Let me know if you ever wish to part with it.

Cobrahistorian
It is a USAF Toptex 3BM flight helmet made by Mine Safety Appliance. Mostly worn by Military and Civilian Test pilots in the 1960's (could have been a Navy Test Pilot). No USN groups used these. Nice to see it with the visor cover and bag. Let me know if you ever wish to part with it.

Well hell, yes it is! We've got Major General Mike Adams' 3BM in the collection from when he flew F-86Ds with the 334th FIS in the late 50s. I should have known that.

Well hell, yes it is! We've got Major General Mike Adams' 3BM in the collection from when he flew F-86Ds with the 334th FIS in the late 50s. I should have known that.

I found a couple of purported 3Bm helmets on the web and they have the mask attached to points on the outside of the helmet instead of to the flap with snaps as seen in your helmet. Did they make it both ways?

toptex1.jpg

toptex2.jpg

Austin_Militaria

These helmets all had custom foam fitted liners so they could be configured differently. The flaps or bayonet recievers would depend on the O2 mask that you needed to have. MS22001 masks could use a snap harness which were easy to detatch the mask from the helmet. While the most popular MBU-5P (pictured above) has the bayonets.

Were these helmets used at the same time as the P-1B thru P-3 helmets because it has the same type mic jack as those helmets do. When was the earliest these helmets were made? BTW, Feel free to PM me with an offer.