Humpin' in the Heat

greensquid68-69

greensquid68-69

Hi all - I thought I'd post a unique photo of 'Humping in the Heat & Humidity of Nam'. Unique in the fact that just recently (40 yrs after the fact) I made contact with a US Marine Combat artist (Richard Yaco) who accompanied my USMC Company on an Operation on July 20, 1968. Along with some incredible photos he took (he carried his personal camera to take reference shots) was this one of one of my fellow corpsman. Other photos I may post later in the appropriate section - hope this is where this one belongs?!

I'm including a copy from my unit chronicles indicating the heat & humidity degrees at that time.

Forgive the sloppy writing on the photo description as it's getting late & I'm heading out of town tomorrow and wanted to get this on the forum tonite.

Not long after this pict was taken we got in a Nasty fight with the 27th NVA regt on Hill 174 - but that's another story!!

Doc

craig_pickrall

That is great info that will answer many questions that have been asked here. Thanks for posting.

Great shot and captioning- thanks for posting this.

I'm no expert historian, but I've seen more pics of extra-heavily-laden G.I.s from 'Nam than from any other conflict...A hearty "Thanks" for your service, Squid :thumbsup:

I've seen the medics packing bandos before but never put two and two together to think they were full of dressings. That makes sense now after seeing the captions. Thanks for listing that.

Great photo! Since were talking Humpin' heavy gear, check this photo out of Us Army with very heavy LW rucks!, note the "Short" m56 ammo pouch on the ruck of the soldier with the m60.

post-2305-1247866927.jpg

greensquid68-69

Great photo! Since were talking Humpin' heavy gear, check this photo out of Us Army with very heavy LW rucks!, note the "Short" m56 ammo pouch on the ruck of the soldier with the m60.

Thank you Justin - Your photo here reminds me of the saying "a herd of turtles".

greensquid68-69

Here's one of the Marine grunts in my unit going back to the bush after a slight bullet wound to the shoulder - As I remember his nick name was 'Boy' & you can see why!

This is what we called being 'saddled up'!!

Doc

craig_pickrall

Doc, that is an interesting pic. He actually has one of the nylon combo bipod / cleaning kit pouches on his ruck. I don't recall ever seeing one of those in use in the field. Did he really hump all that stuff or did he just grab everything he could find and hang it on his ruck for that photo?

What is the shinny thing just above the canteen on the ruck?

I believe that's part of the rucksack frame with the paint worn off.

Bill

Greg Robinson
Doc, that is an interesting pic. He actually has one of the nylon combo bipod / cleaning kit pouches on his ruck. I don't recall ever seeing one of those in use in the field. Did he really hump all that stuff or did he just grab everything he could find and hang it on his ruck for that photo?

Looks to me like the aluminum rucksack frame where the paint has worn off.

craig_pickrall

The other canteen guys, the one on the ruck. It is round and looks like a beer can.

Could it be part of the background behind him? It looks like there might be a little opening between him, and his ruck. The green on the bottom of the "object" looks similar in shade to the green on the object behind him.

YankeeDiv26

wow wonderful and very interesting pictures and descriptions, please post more!

when was the second picture taken? I've always been curious as to when different USMC units got their hands on ERDL uniforms (you may remember them as being called jungle cammies or "flower power" cammies) and the lightweight rucksacks.

Thanks!

greensquid68-69

[

wow wonderful and very interesting pictures and descriptions, please post more!

when was the second picture taken? I've always been curious as to when different USMC units got their hands on ERDL uniforms (you may remember them as being called jungle cammies or "flower power" cammies) and the lightweight rucksacks.

Thanks!

------------------

Thank you & glad you like the picts etc. I'll check if I have any more with the gear etc.

The photo was probably taken around early-mid Feb '69 as there are some shots of my R&R in the same slide box and that's around the time I went on R&R.

I think our group called them Jungle utilities - but I can't really remember for sure, maybe that was for the solid green style!

Doc

ABrangerjoe

Could there be a LAW stuffed in there? It could be a LAW wrapped in plastic or rubber. Or a C-rat can. :think:

-Joe

Hey Doc, is that last picture reversed ?

I've not seen a chest pocket on the right side of a M-55 flak vest before, and I don't see the ejection port or the hit-me-I-don't-work button on his rifle.

Would most of the early rifles without the forward assist have been replaced with ones that did by 1969 ?

I think the shiney thing is a C-rat can stove or something.

The other canteen guys, the one on the ruck. It is round and looks like a beer can.

Could be a pop flare they came in a canister like that. Paul

greensquid68-69

Hey Doc, is that last picture reversed ?

I've not seen a chest pocket on the right side of a M-55 flak vest before, and I don't see the ejection port or the hit-me-I-don't-work button on his rifle.

Would most of the early rifles without the forward assist have been replaced with ones that did by 1969 ?

I think the shiney thing is a C-rat can stove or something.

Sharp Eye Hotlead- Reversed it is!! I was just seeing if someone was paying attention (ha Ha)!! ;)

Here's the correct view!!!

Doc

greensquid68-69

---------------

He was REALLY going back to the bush & that was his "home on his back" - It's was not a 'pile it on' shot just for the photo!!

By the way, he MADE IT home. Wrote me a letter after he got home and wanted to let me know he was going to be a priest or preacher-man of some type and wanted me as character reference!! I wrote back & Never heard from him again!

Doc