WWI trench watches

Bob Hudson

World War One is considered the beginning of men's wrist watches as it was realized that during military operations a watch strapped to the wrist was much easier to use than something buried in the pockets.

The first wrist watches were basically small pocket watches with two lugs through which a narrow leather strap could be threaded. A classic example of this is the Ingersoll Midget watch:

1.jpg

This particular watch was owned by a soldier who spent the war at Camp Funston, Kansas, but it still has a removable "trench guard" designed to protect the watch crystal. This watch had a huge buildup of verdigris on the back and especially at the lugs: this wreaked havoc on the skinny leather strap and it broke where it runs through the lugs.. The inside of the watch has a paper label that identifies this as a RADIOLITE watch, which means the dial was painted with radium so it will glow in the dark for the next 1,000 years :) The inside of the watch also shows this one to have a 1918 serial number. I have read comments about how Ingersoll did not make WWI watches, but the history and serial number of this one show that to not be true.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Very neat FS as it is one more thing I will keep a look out for. Are you sure that it was Camp Funston and not Fort Funston?

Very neat FS as it is one more thing I will keep a look out for. Are you sure that it was Camp Funston and not Fort Funston?

Camp Funston is located on Fort Riley.

funs1.jpg