What USMC medal are traceable?

kklinejr

Are early rim numbered USMC Haitian, Dominican, Yangtze Service & China Service Medals traceable? I've been fortunate to find a couple of numbers here and there to each medal, but no definitive list. I am very interested in tracing out Yangtze numbers in the mid 5000s.

Thank you,

Ken

Are early rim numbered USMC Haitian, Dominican, Yangtze Service & China Service Medals traceable? I've been fortunate to find a couple of numbers here and there to each medal, but no definitive list. I am very interested in tracing out Yangtze numbers in the mid 5000s.

Thank you,

Ken

There is no definitive Official list for any of the USMC medals you reference. However, there are partial compiled lists for the 1918-1919 USMC Haitian and the 1916 USMC Dominican. The 1915 Haitian as awarded to Marines was a U.S. Navy medal and again no complete definitive list exists. Marines generally received medals numbered in the 3XXX range but there are exceptions. There is no definitive Official list of Yangtze, China Service or 2nd Nicaragua Campaign. There is a compiled list of 1900 China Relief, 1899 Philippine Campaign, 1906 Cuban Pacification and the 1912 1st Nicaragua USMC campaign medals.

The compilations were done by and are for sale by Scott D. Smith, 2957 Roseann Ave, Escondido, CA 92027. EMail: s-rsmith@cox.net. Contact him for a price list of what he has available.

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Hey !!

I have, on occasion, seen USMC Campaign medal rim numbers verified in copies of the marine's paperwork that I have either requested or, when I have them, in the actual original documents. Of course, at that point I already know the vet's name and I have the actual medals.

This does NOT always happen though...its hit or miss !!

Vic

Thanks, guys. I have every one of Scott's booklets and lists, I just wasn't sure if anyone had been able to compile any of the "more modern" medals into the 1930s. There are several people currently working on the numbered GC medals given to the war duration Marines. I can't wait until a few of those become available (they will be incomplete of course, but at least it will be something).

Thank you for your responses.

Ken

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but speaking of Marine good conduct medals from WW2... I was told by a friend quite some time ago about something that I've not been able to find confirmation of. He said that WW2 Marines with honorable discharges were now entitled to the good conduct medal even if their length of service fell short of the time normally required. Can anyone tell me if that is corect? If so, I would like to get one to go with my dad's other USMC war time stuff. He enlisteed in '43 and discharged in '46 about 4months short of the three year requirement.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but speaking of Marine good conduct medals from WW2... I was told by a friend quite some time ago about something that I've not been able to find confirmation of. He said that WW2 Marines with honorable discharges were now entitled to the good conduct medal even if their length of service fell short of the time normally required. Can anyone tell me if that is corect? If so, I would like to get one to go with my dad's other USMC war time stuff. He enlisteed in '43 and discharged in '46 about 4months short of the three year requirement.

Don't know the answer but it's possible. Suggest you write to HQMC, Washington, D.C. Awards & Decorations Branch with a copy of your Dad's DD214 and ask the question.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Not exactly equivalent, but the USAF shortened its GCM during Vietnam to one year completed service.