WW2 USMC HBT Camo Jacket & Trousers

Peace

I had the time to put up a nice display for you guys to enjoy.

This is the USMC HBT camo jacket & trousers worn by SSGT Bob Perdzock in combat.

post-132-1177507381.jpg

The jacket is marked [2802], wich stands for 28th Regimental Combat Team. I believe the '02' stands for 2nd BN. Camopara, a forum member here, once checked the roster for me, and found that 'Perdzock, Robert. C.' served with the 2nd BN, so I guess this makes sense.

Bob was a rather skinny type (still is), and found the jacket and trousers to be too wide, so he narrowed the trousers, and shortened the sleeves of the jacket.

Both trousers and jacket are named to Bob.

I added the helmet with 2nd type camo cover to get a nice picture composition, and also because this is the type of camo helmet he wore.

And to top it all off, here is another jacket I have the honor to own.

A heavily worn HBT jacket, also marked [2802], and named to Bob. This is the jacket he got wounded in. It has bloodsmears on it.

post-132-1177507460.jpg

Hope you like it!

Regards

Stijn

I'd like to add, that if anyone of you have items or info regarding the 28th Regimental Combat Team to post it here! And maybe even some for sale?? Needle in a haystack probably!

Regards

Stijn

Stijn,

I love that set!!!

The UNIS mark is for the 5th MarDiv. I don't have my references handy so I'm not sure how to decipher it.

He did serve with 2nd Parachute BN, but that has nothing to do with the UNIS marking.

I'll see what I can dig up for ya.....

jeremiahcable

Wow!! That is great. It's nice that you got them from the marine. Please, please spend some time talking to him about his wartime service and record everything you can. When I get home I'll look up the UNIS marks and see if I can decode it for you.

Jeremiah

jeremiahcable
Jeremiah,

If you are a good Marine, you are supposed to keep your cheat sheet in your pocket at all times!!!

Come on man, it was a cheat sheet or cigars......which do you think won?

Stijn, thanks for the link!

Jeremiah

Greg Robinson
I'd like to add, that if anyone of you have items or info regarding the 28th Regimental Combat Team to post it here! And maybe even some for sale?? Needle in a haystack probably!

Regards

Stijn

The 28th Regiment was part of the 5th Marine Division but in the Marines they call it the "28th Marines". It was they who had the assignment to capture Mt Suribachi on Iwo Jima. The "flag raisers" belonged to the 28th Marines.

NICE set of cammies

Greg

Very nice material! Obviously it was the green HBT that was worn in battle! Can you show the backs of the jackets? There should be the name in addition to the UNIS markings stenciled there. If I recall correctly off the top of my head, I believe the first 2 is a corporal followed by 8 for 28th Marines and then battalion and company. I am perplexed by the 42 cammies. These were withdrawn for use by combat infantry before 1945 and I am surprised he still had them by the time the UNIS markings were applied, which were done on Hawaii or aboard ship just prior to the landings on Iwo. He could not have worn these on Iwo of course. Must have left them behind in storage?

CB

These were withdrawn for use by combat infantry before 1945... He could not have worn these on Iwo of course.

How come they withdrew them?

Armed 2 tha Teeth

From what I understand, they had a tendency to fade to white. Not optimial for camouflage purposes. Very nice UNIS markings.

According to Tulkoff's book, they were relegated to limited standard (cant recall the exact date). I dont think there are any answers as to exactly why, more likely a combination of reasons.

Some 2nd MarDiv guys still had theirs from earlier pre Tarawa issue and wore them on Saipan, but they appear to have disappeared in combat after that. Strangely, these 42 cammies appear in photos being worn by some Marine aviation ground crews in the Pacific into 1945.

CB

CB, thanks for the info.

Both jackets are named in the back, between the shoulders, as you state.

As you can see, it has heavily faded due to washing, wear, and exposure to sunlight.

post-132-1177526858.jpg

I can't provide a picuture of the name between the shoulders in the camo jacket because my digicam battery is dead :s. I'll do that asap though. The name in the camo jacket is still nice and strong. This jacket is also marked on the inside.

post-132-1177527048.jpg

I aslo have a question;

You state the the 42 camies were of course not worn in battle on Iwo Jima. Even though you say the UNIS marks should of been applied aboard ship prior to Iwo. As I recall in a telephone call, he stated that he did wear that set on Iwo... Could you enlighten me on this subject?

I am preparing a letter to him now to ask additional info. Unfortunately I have to do so by regular mail because Alphonsine, his wife has recently gone ill, and she usually operates the computer.

Regards

Stijn

CB, thanks for the info.

Both jackets are named in the back, between the shoulders, as you state.

As you can see, it has heavily faded due to washing, wear, and exposure to sunlight.

post-132-1177526858.jpg

I can't provide a picuture of the name between the shoulders in the camo jacket because my digicam battery is dead :s. I'll do that asap though. The name in the camo jacket is still nice and strong. This jacket is also marked on the inside.

post-132-1177527048.jpg

I aslo have a question;

You state the the 42 camies were of course not worn in battle on Iwo Jima. Even though you say the UNIS marks should of been applied aboard ship prior to Iwo. As I recall in a telephone call, he stated that he did wear that set on Iwo... Could you enlighten me on this subject?

I am preparing a letter to him now to ask additional info. Unfortunately I have to do so by regular mail because Alphonsine, his wife has recently gone ill, and she usually operates the computer.

Regards

Stijn

Stijn,

Please clarify this with him. The uniform shows much to little use for a combat worn garment and I find it hard to believe his sgts etc. would have allowed him to do so.

I have several uniforms worn on Iwo (and elswhere) and they look more like the other green HBT you have.

Sometimes old vets dont recall things quite right.

CB

I will ask him again, to make sure. If all things work out, i should be receiving another HBT jacket belonging to him in the not so distant future. He also promised me his K-bar wich is in his tooling shed, but he is afraid to send it to me because of customs.

And CB, please post your examples too !!

regards

Stijn

• 11 months later...

Well,

today a great package arrived for me, containing a HBT jacket, a KA-BAR and an M-1917 helmet, all attributed to Bob.

The jacket does not have a UNIS marking, but is named on the back between the shoulders. It's in terrible condition, worn to shreds. Bob used this jacket to do chores around the house, and probably has the full range of colors used in and around his house!

The K-BAR is also in very used condition, but complete. Marked KA-BAR, OLEAN N.Y. and U.S.M.C. The scabbard is in very bad condition, the female part of the stud is missing. The extraordinary thing is that he named it. R.C.P. carved at the front, and 'Perdzock' on the other side. I just LOVE this set.

Last but not least is the helmet his father wore during WW1. Helmet is not named, but I take his word for it. This helmet belonged to SGT 1st class John M. Perdzock, born 1888, died 1956, Bob sais he was a member of the US Army Signal Corps in 1918.

Helmet itself lost the leather chinstrap, but the liner itself is included, allthough loose. The shell looks to be repainted once, and bares a red star with six points. What would this mean? 6th Division? Also, the shell has 3 holes at each side at the rim, just above the ears. Is this for some sort of communication gear?

I must say i am extremely happy with these new additions to the grouping.

Unfortunately I cant post pictures right now, since I dont have a camera at hand atm.

Greg Robinson

The Marine Corps changed their thinking on the greenside/brownside camouflage pattern that became so popular and widespread with their utility uniforms and gear late in 1942. It had so fallen out of favor among the top brass that by their final contract awarded in 1945, Powers & Company was directed to resume production of the OD ("khaki") shelter half. But always a service that had to watch it's spending they continued to use up the camouflage ponchos and shelter halfs post WW2 and in Korea. Also, the P1944 cammies were worn in Korea but their use was uncommon there. Then in 1951 they adopted an OD shelter half and poncho but then for some reason purchased "Mitchell" pattern camo shelter halfs in 1953. Hard to figure what inspired that decision other than a desire to be different from the Army.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally managed to get some pictures up of the additional items I received.

Here they are;

This a yet another HBT jacket belonging to Bob. This one obviously saw a lot of use around the house!

post-132-1210964469.jpg

And here is one of my favorite items from this grouping. The KA-BAR issued to Bob, and worn in combat. As discussed before, the scabbard is named to him, "R.C.P." at the front, and "Perdzock" at the rear.

Knife is marked 'OLEAN N.Y.' and U.S.M.C.

post-132-1210964734.jpg

And to finish;

here is the helmet worn by his father, during the 1st World War. This grouping just keeps getting better...

post-132-1210964873.jpg