whats the current value of a US M3 anti flak helmet?

MAS36

I saw a WWII era M3 flak helmet at a local antique shop, with swivel bales, no liner , no chinstrap, the shell was in good condition, but a little rusty, it would make a nice US Army Air Corps display piece.

and the dealer said make me an offer, what should I offer? I dont know the value

post-778-1177481596.jpg

The recent ebay sale prices of these have been ranged from about $57 to $190.

I'd start with the low end :) Antique store owners almost always have the most inflated militaria prices so don't expect him to go for it but if you like it and can get it for under $100 you're not paying too much.

craig_pickrall

The liner is made into these. It is not a separate item. The chin strap is special to this helmet as well. It is not likely to find these missing parts.

post-5-1177512014.jpg

post-5-1177512023.jpg

post-5-1177512031.jpg

post-5-1177512043.jpg

The liner is made into these. It is not a separate item. The chin strap is special to this helmet as well. It is not likely to find these missing parts.

I'd was sleepy and somehow skipped over the info about the missing parts: in this case I'd offer him $10.....

I'd was sleepy and somehow skipped over the info about the missing parts: in this case I'd offer him $10.....

I'll offer him $15 - $20 :)

years ago I had an M-3 helmet with no liner before I upgraded and what I did was take a crapped out liner and break it apart retrieveing the suspension and rivets.The spacing between the rivets where the liner once was is just enough to slide into the notches in the M-3, a perfect fit! and almost identical most probably would not tell the difference.

• 1 year later...
frontrowjoe

The webbing will come out of these helmets have taken webbing for one and install in a better one with no webbing.The back of the A washers slide into slots in the metel ring that is made into the helmet.

D-DAY-Danny

i paid for my m3 helmet 250,- euro thats 317,- dollar i nowe that is very much but that are the pricese over here so buy that helmet

danny

rocketscientist

Danny, where did you buy your M3? Is the price including shipping and customs? I had to pay a lot for shipping from US to Europe. Finally the helmet ended in the hands of Customs and I has to pay duties for 30EUR

Is your M3 posted anywhere in this forum? I would like to see it!

cheers

D-DAY-Danny

i didn't pay shiping cost for this helmet i found it on a militaria market in waver (belguim) thats every month

here are foto's of my helmets

danny

post-473-1217350609.jpg

post-473-1217350620.jpg

this thread asks what is the current value of a M3 flak helmet IMO i think its about $20 US for a mint example and when i find one feel free to put the price back up to where it is now lol :)

Great Helmets !!!! thumbsup.gif

But i have only seen M-3 helmets with swivel bales. My M-3 instead is the only one i have ever seen with fixed bales. Does anyone else out there have a fixed bail M-3 ?

Regards,

Stephan

post-131-1217791264.jpg

• 12 years later...
The Rooster

I was wondering what  the price of these M3's are up to now compared to when this post came out ?

Pictured one is not for sale. And wont be for a long time.... hopefully🙂

Im just curious as to what people think? About the M3 not the display.

The M3 has its felt and liner.  And orig chin strap. Not dented...Just rusty etc.

DSCF3927.JPG

DSCF3928.JPG

DSCF3929.JPG

DSCF3931.JPG

14 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

what  the price of these M3's are up to now

Wish I'd bought a few when they were cheap 14 years ago:

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.02.29 AM.png

Now I wish I could find one but I’m too cheap so it probably would be a while until I could possibly find one cheap

Here's a What's It Worth thread I started about a year and a half ago after purchasing an M3 where a few people chimed in. I paid ~$195 for it 

It was a BIN I jumped on but if memory serves helmets in worse condition were going for about what I paid.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've gone up more since then, though I'm always skeptical of whether or not eBay is really a good point of reference for what an item is worth.

The Rooster
20 minutes ago, Bob Hudson said:

Wish I'd bought a few when they were cheap 14 years ago:

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.02.29 AM.png

Those Prices are Insane !!! I think the people asking 400 etc... Those prob just sit ? I got mine a couple years ago and I think it was under 200.

But 13 14 years ago... Man!!! 20-30 bucks......😪 Woulda shoulda coulda !!! Man !!!!

Radio Operator

Interesting thread I haven't thought much of the value of the M3 since getting mine 2ish years ago which I paid around $200 - $225 for. It has the complete liner + chinstrap and the outside is a bit worn with one "flap" slightly bent, and a few paint markings on the outside which look period (but could be post war). It always surprised me that the M4 especially the leather ones which I don't think were used all that much, went for more than a complete M3 when the M3 saw more use and was harder to find "complete". 

Edit: The listing titled "restored M3" is actually an M5

IMG_6546 (2).JPG

IMG_6548 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, The Rooster said:

I think the people asking 400 etc... Those prob just sit ?

Those are all completed sales, not asking prices - so there are buyers.