Dual Logo in Korean War M1 Liners

Retired

I have several M1 helmet liners from the Korean War period which have logos from two manufacturers molded in the crown. The first logo is that of the Westinghouse Company, W above an oval, all within a circle. The second logo is that of Capac Mfg. Company. I have always understood that Westinghouse and Capac were the two companies which continued to manufacture liners after WW II. I don't understand the presence of the two logos in the same liners. Does anyone have an answer?

Here is the first of two photos. This one shows the Westinghouse logo best.

post-264-1177445599.jpg

I have several M1 helmet liners from the Korean War period which have logos from two manufacturers molded in the crown. The first logo is that of the Westinghouse Company, W above an oval, all within a circle. The second logo is that of Capac Mfg. Company. I have always understood that Westinghouse and Capac were the two companies which continued to manufacture liners after WW II. I don't understand the presence of the two logos in the same liners. Does anyone have an answer?

Here is the first of two photos. This one shows the Westinghouse logo best.

Here is the second photo which shows the Capac logo best.

post-264-1177445722.jpg

I believe that these are Westinghouse WWII production liners, re-webbed by CAPAC in the early 1950's. CAPAC would also stamp their logo in the crown.

Greetz ;)

David

I believe that these are Westinghouse WWII production liners, re-webbed by CAPAC in the early 1950's. CAPAC would also stamp their logo in the crown.

Greetz ;)

David

David,

Very interesting... So, you think the second mark may have been to indicate the refurbishing of a WWII period liner by a different company? That seems to make sense to me.

I have one that is similar to the liner that Dallas shows above. This liner has flat green paint over shiny green paint, so it certainly has been refurbished.

M1Westinghouse_liner.JPG

It is also a Westinghouse liner with the single W/Oval mark over "101" stamp in the crown.

M1_helmet_marking_stamp.JPG

There is also a second marking in the form of a label with the Westinghouse logo over "McCarta" over "1952" in the crown.

M1_helmet_liner_marking.JPG

Might this indicate that the liner was refurbished in 1952 for the Korean War? Or, would you think that this liner was newly made in 1952?

Peter,

Thank you for the information on my helmet liner. Do you think the one that Retired shows was refurbished or newly made with two distinctly different makers?

The double stamped liners as shown by Retired are refurbished WW2 ones, a Westinghouse refurbished by Capac to 1952 specs ( Dark green single weave HBT with blackened brass hardware ). I have a simular helmet in my collection, however it's a Inland refurbished by Firestone to latewar specs ( World War 2, that is. ), OD3 tripleweave HBT with blackened brass hardware. A Newly made 1952 liner has an extra label moulded into the helmet shell, as shown in the second photo, which shows the Micarta brand, which is a division of Westinghouse. Westinghouse and Capac are two different companies, however they both have copied the high pressure productionmethod from MSA of which the high pressure design originated. Take a good look at the MSA Skullguard safetyhelmet, and you'll see what i mean. ;)