What to use?

ABrangerjoe

ABrangerjoe

My USN G-1 flight jacket is about 40 years old and a little stiff, I want to preserve the leather and soften it up to where I can actually wear it. Does saddle soap work okay?

My USN G-1 flight jacket is about 40 years old and a little stiff, I want to preserve the leather and soften it up to where I can actually wear it. Does saddle soap work okay?

I simply can't resist...forgive me, I am weak.

"Find a live cow, stitch the leather back on and hope that blood and nutrients start to flow back into it".

Leather is dead flesh. It was tanned to keep it from rotting. There has yet to be a discovered cure for aging (i.e., hardening). Just take a look at old ladies...You can cake on the make up and the creams, but it is still just wrinkled, old skin under it all.

Lots of folks promise a fountain of youth (usually packaged in a tin with a duck on it), but it ain't magic. It's just an illusion--and will actually do more harm over time than if you just accept the fact that leather ages.

John

The Meatcan
...Leather is dead flesh. It was tanned to keep it from rotting. There has yet to be a discovered cure for aging (i.e., hardening). Just take a look at old ladies...You can cake on the make up and the creams, but it is still just wrinkled, old skin under it all...

John

oh man, I was just to eat lunch! :blink:

Terry

oh man, I was just to eat lunch! :blink:

Terry

Sorry Meatcan!! I knew I was "straying from the path". Just didn't know what hazards I was creating along the way... :think:

I owe ya a quarter-pounder with cheese.

John