Give pictures that Antique look

D.A.T.

• 1 month later...
If you haven't seen this website already, you give can your Reenactor pictures that "been there" look. If you can't read Japanese, up in the right hand corner you can klick onto Engrish, I mean English. :thumbsup:

http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds

Maybe I am naive, but why age photos (and papers and other stuff)?

When you are portraying a 19-year-old, or 24-year-old soldier, in a battle you are participating as a 19-year-old or 24-year-old and you are portraying how stuff looked in 1943, or 1944, or 1945, you do not want to show a photo that looks as if it was taken 50, 60, or 70 years ago. You want to show a photo, papers, etc. that were taken a month ago, two months, or a year, or even 6 years ago.

Are you sure, when you age that photo, or paper, or other stuff, that is the look it had when the photo or paper or stuff was supposed to have two years, one year, or three months after taking it?

However I am bookmarking this item in case I need this in the future!

:thumbsup: :rolleyes: :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Take care,

Luis Ramos

Geez.... I am all for reenactors "getting into the moment", but this has endless possibilities for fakery. Period photo collectors beware.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
first go - looks pretty good to me!

Very good, it's amazing what you can do with modern photo editing software. Here is the same photo that I took the liberty of modifying in Paint Shop Pro to look like a box camera photo from the 1940s:

post-146-1255904942.jpg

That website tool looks more like turn-of-the-century photos to me, or even old newspaper stock, so I can't really say that it would work for anything WWI or later. Just my opinion!

• 3 months later...

I made that photo for MSGt Norway.

If you look in the LRP/LRRP photo thread you will see a picture that has just that border and date.

I copied that picture and then put it onto paint.

I then cropped and changed the colors and contrast of MSGT's pic and put it over the top of the original pic with the border and date.

Thats all there was to it.

Geez.... I am all for reenactors "getting into the moment", but this has endless possibilities for fakery. Period photo collectors beware.

Visions of m1 carbines in ww2 with bayonet lugs comes to mind.

I don't understand how this has "endless possibilites for fakery"? These vintage photo look is generated on a computer, so if someone were to print the image, any photo collector would be able to tell that it wasn't printed on the correct paper, that it was printed with an inkjet or laser printer, etc. etc.

screaming-eagle

I didn't have any shots of my american militaria but thought id share a couple i just aged of my "war souvenirs". Thet turned out awesome thanks for the link!

I don't understand how this has "endless possibilites for fakery"? These vintage photo look is generated on a computer, so if someone were to print the image, any photo collector would be able to tell that it wasn't printed on the correct paper, that it was printed with an inkjet or laser printer, etc. etc.

By aging a well posed photo, a faker can use that shot to help sell an item as original. You may not be selling the photo itself, but using it as supporting evidence. For example, you can use it to prove that they did indeed use swivel bail helmets on D-Day.

By aging a well posed photo, a faker can use that shot to help sell an item as original. You may not be selling the photo itself, but using it as supporting evidence. For example, you can use it to prove that they did indeed use swivel bail helmets on D-Day.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but IMHO it would still not be as easy as that. They might produce a well-posed photo as "proof", but we all know that "one photo" is never proof of anything - there needs to be more sources to validate something as anything other than a "one off". Besides, if the photo was taken with a digital camera, it will still hold EXIF data, even after being run through an online program. Most people would not know how to strip off EXIF data.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these "new old pictures" start showing up with uniform groupings just to sweeten the pot so to speak. I would also be very cautious. Everything else has been faked, and aged to look old, so why not pictures too?? Although they do look good, we all know there are those out there only looking to make fast money. Don't forget the "all sales are final" statements on ebay...

Just my .02 cents...

Leigh...

Wow!! Things like this are one of the features I missed during my absence. Thank you for this post! There was some speculation about the possible forging of photos, but the work required for a minimal dollar return would probably minimize this.

Tom

This filter is quite interesting. I wanted to see what I would look like in a studio-looking shot (below). Judging from the result of my test photo, there is the potential for fakery and people trying to pass it off as originals, but I think collectors would be able to catch signs of fakery right away. The color of the image is nice but I think that the filter has are too many textures. The textures also have a certain pattern that would be easy to see in studio shots and other pictures that do not have a lot going on.

However, I kind of agree with BEAST that people could take pictures of patches, uniforms, and other militaria that wasn't used, use the filter, and try to argue that the item is original and rare. Its possible...

post-4247-1265674627.jpg

• 3 months later...

I went to that Japanese site but when I tried to d/l the pic I did, it brought me to a screen I didn't understand as it was in Japanese.

Excellent link!

Pretty good result ;)

2 pics of me, in ww2 uniforms:

6ae5s410.jpg

2nd Armored

fpv2o610.jpg

Free French RBFM (and yes have 2 hands, but i wore on this pic, black gloves so.... :lol: )

cheers

Thierry

• 5 weeks later...