looking for 45th Inf Div groups

rml1708

I am a member of a local living history group that protrays the 45th inf 180th reg. I am looking for info about the recon units of the 45 Inf Div and of particular interest is photos of their Recon jeeps and the markigns onthe recon jeeps. I have restored or I am continiuing to restore a 1942 Jeep and want to know how they configured their recon jeeps and how they marked their recon jeeps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Lukes

• 2 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

According to TO&E 7-12 dated 15 July 1943, the I&R Platoon of an Infantry Regiment was part of the Regimental Headquarters Company and was composed of

-Platoon HQ with 1 Jeep

-2 Reconnaissance Squads, each with 3 Jeeps

They would have been marked

45-180-I * HQ-(any number, i.e. 8 thru 14)

I corresponded with the curator of the 45th Inf Div Museum and they sent me a photo of a Recon jeep. It is marked 45 - X R - 21

45_-_X_R_-_12_Recon_Jeep_WM.jpg

Robert

According to TO&E 7-12 dated 15 July 1943, the I&R Platoon of an Infantry Regiment was part of the Regimental Headquarters Company and was composed of

-Platoon HQ with 1 Jeep

-2 Reconnaissance Squads, each with 3 Jeeps

They would have been marked

45-180-I * HQ-(any number, i.e. 8 thru 14)

Johan Willaert

45-X * R-21 is a Jeep attached to the Divisional Reconnaissance Troop.

That is made up of Troop HQ and Three Reconnaissance Platoons

What I wrote were markings for the Reconnaissance Platoon of the 180th Inf Regt

You have a choice of units, depending on your preference

I am a member of a local living history group that protrays the 45th inf 180th reg. I am looking for info about the recon units of the 45 Inf Div and of particular interest is photos of their Recon jeeps and the markigns onthe recon jeeps. I have restored or I am continiuing to restore a 1942 Jeep and want to know how they configured their recon jeeps and how they marked their recon jeeps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Lukes

Which group?

This is the group I am part of www.45thdivision.org

Which group?

This is the group I am part of www.45thdivision.org

Wondering the same thing myself, I'm a member of the Friends of Willie and Joe, the only re-enacting group personally endorsed by Bill Mauldin before he passed. Our primary impression is also K/180 INF...

Lee,

I am in the same group as you. My son and I brought our Jeep to the Olympia show. We were park under the L-3 wings right next to Butch's tent

Now the quandry, I already marked the bumper to 45 -X * R-13. To be the correct unit It should be marked 45-180-I * HQ - 13 or something like that.

Robert

Wondering the same thing myself, I'm a member of the Friends of Willie and Joe, the only re-enacting group personally endorsed by Bill Mauldin before he passed. Our primary impression is also K/180 INF...

I am in the same group as you. My son and I brought our Jeep to the Olympia show. We were park under the L-3 wings right next to Butch's tent

Boy, don’t I feel like a bonehead! Didn’t make the connection there, and it doesn’t help that I’m terrible with names (I’m always calling up Steve Gay and asking, “What’s the name of that guy who…”). Now that I think on it, I’m not 100% sure I talked with you at Olympia (please don’t hold it against me if I had, as we all talked with what felt like a billion people at that show). Had I known who you were, I’d have suggested asking Steve in the first place. As big of a Mauldin fan as I am, I have seriously toyed around with marking up my MB as a K/180 vehicle myself, except that I often do a 2nd ID and a War Correspondent impression and that wouldn’t go with either of those. I do plan on eventually re-painting my Jeep and when I do, I will be putting the same hood numbers on it as Mauldin did on his issued Jeep. You can see the photos of that here if you’d like.