USMC 1219c2 Pattern Knife by CAMILLUS

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

CAMILLUS CUTLERY CO. in WW2 manufactured two versions of USMC 1219c2 knife. The first was marked on the blade. It has a near black parkerized finish that over time and subjected to cleaning often takes on a smooth finish similar to bluing. Pommel is the pinned type attached to a rectangular blade tang. Unlike other contractors, Union Cutlery in particular, they didn't alter this feature but stuck with it throughout production.

post-4-1163592354.jpg

post-4-1163592401.jpg

post-4-1163592448.jpg

Greg Robinson

In 1944, the government specification for these knives was changed moving the markings to the guard. While the Navy had manufactured several versions of guard marked Mk 2's there was but one manufactured for the Marine Corps. It was the guard marked CAMILLUS.

post-4-1163592672.jpg

post-4-1163592718.jpg

Greg Robinson

Since the guard marked USMC CAMILLUS was made later in the war examples are still relatively early to find. However, the blade marked version is a tough piece to locate. And you need to be aware of the fact that CAMILLUS made a reproduction of that knife in the 1980's and '90's that is close enough that it might fool the novice collector. I sold my repro years ago so if anybody has one I'd appreciate their adding a pic to this discussion so others can see what it looks like.