3rd Iowa Infantry Veteran's reunion badge 1891

IrishEddie

Hi,

This is a little out of my field of collecting, but I figured it was worth $20 so I bought it. One of the characteristics I found most attractive about this badge was its chocolate brown patina. It was also presented to a member of the 3rd Iowa, which as I knew was a western outfit that served in the Atlanta Campaign. Does anyone know what the fair market value would be for this type of badge? Does the value of reunion badges vary depending on regiment?

Thanks,

Eddie

post-4370-1247270894.jpg

post-4370-1247270921.jpg

This one's a little out of my field, but I would say that $20 is a reasonable price for the likes of a badge of this type. You might find those who concentrate on units from a particular state who would pay a little more. But, for something such as this, I would say you paid fair market value.

Kevin

SCF-Collector

Actually, I'd say you got a bargain at $20 Eddie. That's a decent regiment and a very attractive medal. Regimental reunion badges, as long as it's a good regiment (i.e., not one formed 4 weeks before the end of hostilities - that guarded the camp bakery) are usually definite winners for that kind of money.

Weird coincidence - unless you're selling this particular medal on eBay at the moment. I just ran across it's twin for sale - still almost 5 days left in the auction - 7 bids - and the price is at $42 plus shipping. How's that for confirmation that you did good?

IrishEddie,

I am curious if the high bidder on your badge was from Iowa. I am not asking for names, but was curious if the price paid was by someone who has a connection to the state.

Kevin

SCF-Collector

Actually, not all that surprising IMO. Collectors often cross state lines in terms of regiment/unit collecting. Maybe he/she is a transplant (or an infiltrator aka carpet-bagger as we'd call a Yankee that moves to Virginia), or has distant relative from Iowa - who knows. Collector's are strange creatures - how they settle on a focus for their collecting is an individual journey. I for one have a thing for items from South Carolina (from when I started my collecting). I've never lived there - I'm a Maryland-born Confederate actually, but I've visited there often and just like SC units.

There are also collectors that just plain like quality regimental reunion badges.

Then of course there are the international collectors - they always amaze me. I met a guy once who was visiting from Australia - active member of a CW Round-Table there - really into collecting American CW materials.

It has always amazed me how geography isn't necessarily a common motivation for a CW collector.