Coastal defense of San Francisco

Greg Robinson

Are these the fortifactions located near the Golden Gate bridge.....I think it's called the Marin headlands? My grandfather was a Brig General in the Calif National Guard at the start of WW2 and these were under his command. When I was out there in 1996 I went to where the gun emplacements were started but never completed but I didn't see all the places you show in your pics.

Greg

Greg Robinson

On that same trip in 1996 I camped one night on the coast of Oregon in a state park. Between the park and the ocean were sand dunes and on the beach were remnants of old barbed wire......sort of looked like something the military would have done. Could this have been from WW2?

Great photos!!! I used to love visiting those forts when I was stationed at Travis. Now that I live on the East coast, that coastal artillery subject has started to get my attention and interest. It's like being a kid again when you crawl over the fortifications.

-Ski

Rakkasan187

Fantastic pictures,

I remember growing up in New England, my family used to go to Salisbury Beach, Massachusetts and I remember my folks telling me about the concrete platforms where the coastal guns were. I have not been back there in over 20 years but I am sure they are still there.

The Meatcan

very interesting photos! those are still some mighty impressive fortifications. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Terry

Very nice pictures! I have yet to see that and other fortifications in the area.

San Francisco apparently had a complex fortification system. I took my parents to Muir Beach, near Muir Woods National Park. I wondered what these pillbox looking things were for. They were too shallow to hold artillery. Found out they were used by the military so when they saw an invading ship, they would triangulate its position with someone in San Francisco, therefore increasing the accuracy of the artillery. Below is a map I found on the different forts in the SF area. It does not have Ft. Point on there. Alcatraz, I think, also held artillery on the island during WWII.

hdsf.jpg

Are these the fortifactions located near the Golden Gate bridge.....I think it's called the Marin headlands? My grandfather was a Brig General in the Calif National Guard at the start of WW2 and these were under his command. When I was out there in 1996 I went to where the gun emplacements were started but never completed but I didn't see all the places you show in your pics.

Greg

Yes Greg, all these are in the Marin Headlands. Some a easy to find but others entail a bit of hiking to get to, you can tell the more difficult one's to find byt the lack of spray paint on them. :lol:

Greg

Yes... the Headlands, on both sides of the mountain side there, and some smaller ones on the SF mainland coast-side.

I spent a lot of time exploring them all in the 1970s.