Coastal defense of San Francisco

Corpsmancollector

They're some fantastic photos! Must have been wonderful to explore them all. One day, I hope to make it out West...

Yeah, those photos bring back some great memories. I used to go there whenever I could when I was stationed at Travis AFB in the 1990's. I loved that place. The 16" casemates were awesome!

-Ski

• 1 year later...

kphfun,

There is an excellent article on this on the current issue (No. 152) of "After the Battle" magazine. It's titled "Guarding the Golden Gate."

The article shows a couple of pictures taken at the same time time this one (below) was taken, but not this particular one.

post-70-1309776923.jpg

Wow! Fascinating! Never paid much attention to the thread, but now that I live in the area, this is really neat! I'll have to go investigating!

Dave

El Bibliotecario

An interesting thing about the south Marin County area is that one can see three generations of fortifications. The pre-World War I installations with no overhead cover have been lavishly illustrated in this thread, as well as the World War II constructions with overhead cover. In one of the photos, I believe the putrid-green colored buildings in the foreground are the former admin area for the Nike Herc site near Ft Cronkite--the third generation of ''fortifications.' Anyone visiting the area should stop by SF88--the fire control area is history, but the launcher area has been preserved and restored.

agate hunter

coastal artillery forts are some of the coolest things to explore and have very interesting histories. my favorites are the ones around where i live around the mouth of the columbia, ft canby, ft columbia, and ft stevens. if i lived closer i would be a member of ft stevens and be active in the stuff over there, but i live too far away (about 100 miles).

flyer333555

Kph-

Lack of grafiti is not necessarily an indication of accessiblity. It may be one of the indicators, though...

As a member of the Army Ground Forces Association, I once went inside the mortar batter at Sandy Hook/Fort Hancock. We needed lanterns. Lanterns, mind you, as the lack of light in these batteries make them very dark. So dark that you may as well be 200 hundred feet underground, and flashlights do not help.

Yep, there was grafiti. These so-called "artists" will stop for nothing!

Luis R.

• 2 years later...

Very cool. 1905. Influence of Russo-Japanese lessons around Port Arthur, perhaps...or not. But a lot going on regarding the Japanese at the time on the west coast during the period.

Fort Baker is now a trendy resort for recovering masters of the universe (aka: "Bonus Bozos"). Some rooms at "Cavallo Point" go for $700+ per night, which is much, much more than some officers and sergeants who once occupied these quarters were paid for years of service.

post-1963-0-18381100-1393751685.jpg

Link here to see the rest of this story.

Repairing the broken link above: Link here.

Don't know how I missed this, thank you for posting. My sister first moved to SF in 2004 I went out to visit her, naturally conning her into driving me to all that we could find military related. I took many a photos but the SF weather did not cooperate. Over the years I have lost the files as computers crashed. When I returned from Iraq/Kuwait I went out to visit her again and spent about three weeks hiking and looking around. Once again I lost all the photos I took except the ones on my phone. I do still have the file I started on the SF coast defense when I was about 14.

post-5665-0-40578500-1394142523.jpg

• 1 month later...