Wallace Bishop jewelers, Brisbane, AUS: examples and patterns

Here is an interesting Wallace Bishop navigator wing that was sold a few years ago...anyone on this forum have it, or one like it...and would be willing to post a good picture of it? It's an interesting one-off wing that shows some of the south pacific islands in place of the regulation navigator device.

post-3515-1240588061.jpg

John Cooper said:
Paul,

Why do you think it is a one off?

John

A number of reasons, John...I haven't seen another one like it in the several years I've been closely watching; another picture shows the device to be a soldered-on cap attached to a base wing which would have been reasonably simple to fashion by a local jeweler--I suspect I could have one like it made locally without much investment; of course, it's a non-AAF approved design; and finally my gut just paints a picture of one or a few young guys with some time on their hands in WWII Australia going to town for some cold pints, a quick jump into the jewelry shop, then some food, and finally where's the girls? Nothing more concrete than that. 

John Cooper

Paul I have learned to trust my gut! I think is is a very cool wing! Since the photo is not clear enough for me to see which islands... looks kind of like Papau New Guinea area.. what do you think?

John

• 2 months later...

I just bought this wings as part of a group to a 5th AAF aircrewman. His group was discussed here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry356929

This is a nice die struck silver Wallace Bishop AAF Aircrew wing. The aircrew insignia is applied separately to the front of the wing. The hallmarked is raised except for the SILVER mark. It is stamped.

Enjoy!

group5.JPG

group6.JPG

group7.JPG

The other thing is that the wing is made up of separate pieces, the center and left and right wing are all individually made and you can see it if you look very closely, I believe. very nice wing. I have a pilot wing that is very similar.

Patrick

John Cooper

Kurt,

Thanks for posting. This set of wings is a very nice counter point to the newer generation of wings in the last couple years attributed to this maker.

John

Hey John,

I have heard Angus Coote and K G Luke, but not Wallace Bishop are the ones being faked. Seems that Wallace Bishop are still good to go, no?

Patrick

John Cooper

Patrick - slight omission... I typed maker and ment to say "... Austrailian makers." That is so far only Angus & Coote + K.G. Luke and did not mean to include Wallace & Bishop. This is what I get for sneaking down to the PC to post on the forum without my BOSS... (cough wife) cathing me slacking off :fear: :lol:

Although now that that has been said I am sure we can expect to see some...

John

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I picked up one of these interesting Wallace Bishop Navigator wings recently. I know the usual caveats regarding Aussie wings and all the fakes but it looks like a good one to me. Definitely not the usual Navigator device but a map of an island. First one I have ever seen outside of this post.

Front:

post-4502-0-39798000-1358654852_thumb.jpg

I do not have one to cape it to but I have to say the photos do look good. I ma sure someone here will have some additional thoughts for you on this.

Cheers

John

• 5 years later...

tough call... I'll take a very careful stab at it and say I see some things that I don't like. But I see some things that I do, too... I'd want to handle these in person and have pretty solid return policy in place, it if were me.

pat, wallace bishop, didnt they have the wings soldered on to the center? these appear to be that way. this is what lead me to go to the good side but, today with all the junk out there a rough call.

yes, they should be 3 pieces as you say. And that is one of the things I like. But there are some aspects of the wings that I don't like, as with the catch. As I said, it could go either way, from what I can see.

• 3 months later...

think I caught a good one------------ appears to have the imperfections on the face and rear that brit wings would. lines in the shield wavey, lettering on back not in line kind of sloppy. I took a chance!

post-73-0-29919600-1525915760_thumb.jpg

yes pat. what I was saying was I noticed some likeness to the Wallace Bishop to the Angus and Coote. both have the imperfections in the shield and the lettering on the reverse.

From what I can see these look legit. There should be three separate pieces ( left / right wing & shield) expertly soldered together. The fakes are usually one piece with attempts to mimic the three piece construction. A loop is a must when assessing the ligitamasy of these wing badges.

Steve