SBRs from the Great War

TrenchRaider1918

TrenchRaider1918

Well, here's my collection of WWI Gas Masks as requested. I'm displaying them in the order I got them in.

Gas Mask #1:

He's missing the rubber lining on the inside, and the extender piece on the top strap is gone, but he's my favorite, and I was told by the previous owner that he was "over there".

Size 3, dated Aug. 21, 1918. Thin lens, and thin diamond shaped exhale valve guard. Coil present. No tie cord. Bag is shorter than usual and that explains the pinched hose.

post-879-1177370088.jpg

#2:

This is Rex. he's got a soft mask with soft hose. Size 4. Wide valve guard. Straps intact. No coil under yellow canister and no instruction booklet. Thick lens with one corroded. Tie cord present.

post-879-1177370263.jpg

He's in perfect condition other than the headstraps, one has frayed away, they also got little adjusters on them. A little stiff, he retains his shape but is pliable. Size 3, Intact and unused booklet. Green canister w/coil and anti dimming can. Thin valve guard. Thin lens. Clean bag w/tie cord. Must be unissued.

post-879-1177370464.jpg

This is the trainer, his bag is stamped "FOR TRAINING PURPOSES ONLY". He's in shoddy condition, rubber lining is half gone and glued seams are peeled away. Soft hose. Mouthpiece broken off. Size 3, thick bracket. Thick lens. Booklet intact. Coil present.

post-879-1177370843.jpg

This is the latest addition. Face piece and straps fully intact, but a little stiff. Hose is super stiff! Thick bracket, thick lens, no booklet. Coil present. No tie cord. Receiving latch on bag is an enclosed ball rather then two hooks. Size 3.

post-879-1177371417.jpg

Nothing special about these, just the usual American stuff. My grandfather lives in central Missouri and he runs the historical society there. At the county courthouse, he made a bunch of displays of all the wars from the Civil War to Vietnam. He's got his navy medic cap from the Korean War there, but on the WWI shelf lies a British model SBR.

Has anyone ever come across a gas mask with blue face fabric? I saw one on Ebay a while ago and wondered if it was a special issue.

Thanks for looking,

Carl

New Romantic

Nice masks, every AEF collector needs a few of these. I think I must have 12 US masks and 3 British masks-love the variations. The real challenge with these are finding them soft. Most are found as hard as rocks, nice and crunchy like potato chips.

The "thin" lenses you describe are made from celluloid, which often yellows with age. The thicker lenses are glass.

Could you describe the mask with the blue coloured face piece? Did it look like a regular US mask?

By the way, I'm glad you don't call these "M1917" masks. That's what's called a collector's term. The proper models would have been, in order of evolution, American Small Box Respirator, Corrected English Model, and Richardson-Flory-Kops. Then there are at least three experimental models which are rare to find.

New Romantic

A bit off topic, about your display head- Is it made from styrofoam or plastic? I was thinking about getting one like that b/c they look like they work better for mask display vs the shorter neck heads. I ask b/c I use pins to hold the head straps in place.

craig_pickrall

I don't think you want to do a long term display using these styrofoam heads. There are numerous posts here about how the styrofoam sticks to the leather and cloth parts and ruins items. You can find most of these comments in the helmet section. Do a search on styrofoam.

TrenchRaider1918

Hard plastic. I have learned that styrofoam actually has acid that can eat away at anything that touches it for a long time. I keep the mask in place with tape across the top strap.

TrenchRaider1918

Does anyone know what gas mask fabric is made of and how it is constructed? It's remarkably durable.

New Romantic
Does anyone know what gas mask fabric is made of and how it is constructed? It's remarkably durable.

I've read that the mask fabric is made from poplin.

I had a neighbor who was a medic in the 26th div. in ww1, when I showed him one of those masks he told me the filters were filled with crushed peach pitt's.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.