Photo ID? AAF Colonel

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

Wasn't really sure where to post this, so I figured this'd work. I picked up this series of photos off of ebay a few months ago. No one is identified, but it is clear they were all taken on the same day. Does anyone know who this AAF Colonel is? He looks REALLY familiar, but I can't place his name.

AAFpics005.jpg

AAFpics004.jpg

AAFpics003.jpg

AAFpics002.jpg

AAFpics001.jpg

316th FS 324th FG
Hey all,

Wasn't really sure where to post this, so I figured this'd work. I picked up this series of photos off of ebay a few months ago. No one is identified, but it is clear they were all taken on the same day. Does anyone know who this AAF Colonel is? He looks REALLY familiar, but I can't place his name.

AAFpics005.jpg

AAFpics004.jpg

AAFpics003.jpg

AAFpics002.jpg

AAFpics001.jpg

Any idea which AF? Can you see the patch on the Lt Col's flight jacket in the 3rd pic or get the name tag off it?

Cobrahistorian

The seller mentioned something about North Africa, but I don't think it is. Here's an enhancement of the patch and nametag. Can't read it, but the patch is kinda visible.

AAFpics003-1.jpg

316th FS 324th FG
The seller mentioned something about North Africa, but I don't think it is. Here's an enhancement of the patch and nametag. Can't read it, but the patch is kinda visible.

AAFpics003-1.jpg

Looks like rabbit ears to me - the 315th FS had an early patch with bgs bunny on it. Even oriented the same way. Only thing is, in their patch, Bugs is laying on white clouds against a light blue background. Maybe it s a variation?

post-2463-1247072242.jpg

Cobrahistorian
Looks like rabbit ears to me - the 315th FS had an early patch with bgs bunny on it. Even oriented the same way. Only thing is, in their patch, Bugs is laying on white clouds against a light blue background. Maybe it s a variation?

I've been messing with the brightness and contrast on this to see what I can come up with.

AAFpics006.jpg

316th FS 324th FG

AAFpics003-1.jpg

I agree with you, it can't be North Africa. The last guys ribbons and the field jacket both seem late war to me. Are the guy in the field jacket and the guy in the flight jacket two different guys?

Cobrahistorian
I agree with you, it can't be North Africa. The last guys ribbons and the field jacket both seem late war to me. Are the guy in the field jacket and the guy in the flight jacket two different guys?

Yeah, the field jacket is definitely an M43 and they are definitely two different guys. Looks like one may be a Major and the other an LTC.

Brandon, I was trying to see if that was a B-13 or a cut down Ike. Couldn't really tell. Whaddya think?

brandon_rss18
Yeah, the field jacket is definitely an M43 and they are definitely two different guys. Looks like one may be a Major and the other an LTC.

Brandon, I was trying to see if that was a B-13 or a cut down Ike. Couldn't really tell. Whaddya think?

Ya know looking at it I think it might be a cut-down Ike. His coats breast pockets have visible buttons on them and I believe the B-13s were not visible. But the more I look at it it looks like the waistline area of the coat does not have a buckle like a lot of the cut-downs had, it looks smooth like a B-13. Hmmmmm, If I had to put my money on something, I would say a VERY nice CUSTOM tailored 4 pocket. He spent some money.

Cobrahistorian

AAFpics001.jpg

AAFpics001ribbons.jpg

Looking at his ribbons up close, it looks like he's got an DFC, Air Medal with OLC, American Defense, ? and Good Conduct with a bunch of knots. The question mark ribbon doesn't look like a campaign ribbon to me.

316th FS 324th FG
Ya know looking at it I think it might be a cut-down Ike. His coats breast pockets have visible buttons on them and I believe the B-13s were not visible. But the more I look at it it looks like the waistline area of the coat does not have a buckle like a lot of the cut-downs had, it looks smooth like a B-13. Hmmmmm, If I had to put my money on something, I would say a VERY nice CUSTOM tailored 4 pocket. He spent some money.

Not a B-13. As I recall, the B-13 had no exposed gold buttons, either on the chest pockets or on the epaulettes. There was also no pleating on the pockets as both the chest pockets and the slanted side pockets were integral to the jacket rather than sewn on top.

Cobrahistorian
Not a B-13. As I recall, the B-13 had no exposed gold buttons, either on the chest pockets or on the epaulettes. There was also no pleating on the pockets as both the chest pockets and the slanted side pockets were integral to the jacket rather than sewn on top.

I concur. It is a rather nice cut down Ike, kinda like the one I have in my collection!

ItemCo16527
AAFpics001.jpg

AAFpics001ribbons.jpg

Looking at his ribbons up close, it looks like he's got an DFC, Air Medal with OLC, American Defense, ? and Good Conduct with a bunch of knots. The question mark ribbon doesn't look like a campaign ribbon to me.

The bottom row looks like American Defense, Philippine Liberation, and Asia-Pacific Campaign with three or four battle stars to me.

Cobrahistorian
The bottom row looks like American Defense, Philippine Liberation, and Asia-Pacific Campaign with three or four battle stars to me.

Jeff, I think you're right. After tweaking the brightness and contrast on the enlargement, I can definitely see that as a Philippine Liberation ribbon.

Man, my head's always stuck in the ETO. Question is, where were these taken then? They're wearing field jackets and heavyweight Class A's. The only two places I can think of are either 1) Occupation duty in Japan or 2) stateside.

Would be a lot easier if Colonel Whatshisname actually had a patch on his left shoulder there!

Here's something else to look at. Check out the Major's field jacket pocket.

AAFpics002.jpg

AAFpics002pocketinsignia.jpg

Anyone know what that insignia is?

Jon