HBT

Early Vietnam M56 H-Straps

I was going through a duffel bag of Vietnam era gear when I noticed something unusual about a set of M56 H-suspenders. The hooks were all made from bent wire rather than stamped steel. I flipped the straps over and looked at the date which read "9/25/59". I stood there for a moment thinking about all the sets of H-suspenders I've handled and owned and I cannot recall owning a set that dated pre 1962 until now. I'm not implying these are rare, but I found it interesting that I hadn't seen or noticed this until now...

---Chris

post-235-1247027357.jpg

they are the first pattern M56 suspenders in 1961 the second pattern with snap hooks began to be issued

I like the first pattern better because they attach easier and quicker

nice early set! i have the 2nd pattern, and a heavily abused and modified something H harness........the user modified it with more straps for it to slip over the belt, instead of having metal hardware O_o (it was discussed in a thread in latest find, and consensus was that while possible, it didnt likely see service in the Balkans by a Ranger...)

nice early set! i have the 2nd pattern, and a heavily abused and modified something H harness........the user modified it with more straps for it to slip over the belt, instead of having metal hardware O_o (it was discussed in a thread in latest find, and consensus was that while possible, it didnt likely see service in the Balkans by a Ranger...)

Thanks! I am wondering if anyone on this forum has a 1956 dated set...

--Chris

they are the first pattern M56 suspenders in 1961 the second pattern with snap hooks began to be issued

I like the first pattern better because they attach easier and quicker

The 1st patterns come out of the buttpack very easy when running and from putting the gear down and picking it up

The back straps is so short, isn't it? :think: I went to surplus store and found some of them and decided not to buy them because back straps appeared to be too short so I assumed it was S sized since the stamps are faded out.

ALWAYS ON A LOOK-OUT FOR OEF/OIF ITEMS.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Vietnam era suspenders were just in size Regular, Long, and XLong. There was no small size but regular are pretty short.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.