Round Meat Can, 1890's

New Romantic

19delta-uav

#3 The odd one. I have never seen another one like this. This is the M-1890 with pie plate bottom, but the top seems to be the same as the regular m-1890 round mess kit. Experimental perhaps? This one is marked U.S. on the handle

post-3881-1247319532.jpg

19delta-uav

Thats all I have for right now. Let me know what you think. Im interested as to which one came first, the totally rounded m-1890 or the pie plate version. There are also differences in the handle closure systems of the two m-1890s. Perhaps just different makers?

New Romantic

Thanks for having your gf take the detailed photos! Unfortunately I can't add anything as far as info goes. Do you know what the bottom pan to your "pie pan" meat can is made of? Looks shiny rather than the aged tin on 1874 meat cans.

Here's some more photos of the meat can in post 2 which is the same as you "pie pan" variation.

post-599-1247361185.jpeg

New Romantic

US Victory Museum sent me a photo this morning showing soldiers at Ft. Meade in 1917. Check out the meat can below the canteen cup. Does this look like a round meat can?

post-599-1247851136.jpg

19delta-uav

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great pictures. Mine looks like a combination of the angular mess kit you have there mixed with the top of the rounded mess kit. It definately fits, but I can see where there is space in the handle for the larger angular top. Great pics guys.!

• 5 years later...

Although I am once again extremely tardy in a posting, I was told many years ago (like 25) that the round meat can (not the "pie tin" type pictured, which I have not seen before) was wartime contractor production (or a "substitute standard") for/during the Span Am War.

The U.S. Army Center of Military History states that there were two variations, and that "Two batteries of the 3rd U.S. Artillery at the Presidio of San Francisco preparing for service in the Philippines received round meat cans. These items were also used in recruit mess halls at the beginning of World War I."

The 14th (as I recall, and some of the others) Engineer Regiment carried some of these with them to England and France in 1917.

Sorry the link is not working if you get the page not found go down to the website search, click on it then type in messkit the pdf file will come up. There is also one on uniforms om this site.