FARB

2Dogs

But it has taken on a new meaning since I first used it. It used ot be a simple commentary that something was not correct. Now it is closer to the meaning of "A**hole" in reenactment circles. It has jumped from meaning an item or impression, to a derogatory term for the individual themselves.

Which in a way is kind of sad.

Like the word "gay" took on a whole new meaning...

I like the Fallacious Accoutrements and Reprehensible Baggage... :thumbsup:

I remember in the early eighties in a different world (far far away in another galaxy) the word me and a mate invented and spread round was "goallied" to describe a state of mind after orally consuming a dodgy substance...We where surpdised how quickly and widespread it was used :think:

Like the word "gay" took on a whole new meaning...

I like the Fallacious Accoutrements and Reprehensible Baggage... :thumbsup:

I remember in the early eighties in a different world (far far away in another galaxy) the word me and a mate invented and spread round was "goallied" to describe a state of mind after orally consuming a dodgy substance...We where surpdised how quickly and widespread it was used :think:

I myself like..........

FARB......... Fake @ss Reenactor Bull$h!t. :w00t:

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Or get carried off on a stretcher, hooked up to many I.v.'s.... :blink:

:think:

Or not.

Rock

giconceptsjw

I guess maybe this has been talked out but I first heard “farb” and “farby” used by re-enactors here in California in the mid-1980’s. At that time, I used to hear people use the whole expression, “Far be it from me to criticize you but your (whatever item) is post war, etc.” I think they used to say it like that because they were talking to new guys for the most part and a non-vernacular slang word like “farb” would be meaningless to them.

It’s interesting to hear all of the possible origins of the word. I’ve never heard any of them before. The only origin I had ever heard for “farb” was the “far be it from me” version. I’ve also never heard “farb” used in place of a**hole as if it meant the same thing. In my experience, it has only been used in reference to something or someone who was unauthentic.

Another word currently in use is “hoke” (rhymes with joke). “Hoke” is used here in California in place of “farb” and it seems to have an identical meaning; “that guy is hoke, than thing is totally hoke”, etc. They also use “hokey” as well which would be where “hoke” originates. Of course the word “hokey” isn’t new and has been around for years. It simply means corny or cheap.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Keep in mind Rock that both Dirt and I have stood/kneeled next to and hauled those stretchers.Sad but true,even troopers bleed!

I'm not sure what the references are. I lost something along the way.

The "You go Girl" comment was weird so after....?

I assure you that I know what it's like to load guys on helicopters and would never make light of that situation. It seems someone else would by the "you go girl" comment. That, or the references were between the lines or personal in nature that I could not possibly understand. Maybe I've taken one to many blows to the head.

Rock