M-1926 enlisted summer service coat

fordmustanggt_350

"HQ-9405", not sure the significance. It's stamped in the coat too.

Shoulder was stationed in HQ company 38th infantry regiment

38th Inf Regt, 2nd Division. When this item was worn the regiment was stationed at Fort Douglas Utah. Looking at it now, it might say 38th something or other right below the HQ stamp? Still unsure if the reinforcements were standard for all these type breeches, will let others look in.

"HQ-9405", not sure the significance. It's stamped in the coat too.

Shoulder was stationed in HQ company 38th infantry regiment

I have an M-1926 coat from a soldier in an HQ company (of a regiment), and it, too, is stamped with ''HQ'' followed by four digits.

I have heard unofficially from my deep background contact that these EM Khaki uniforms in fact might of been unit property for units that were required to wear them.

Stand by for any other info regarding this.

RustyCanteen

I have heard unofficially from my deep background contact that these EM Khaki uniforms in fact might of been unit property for units that were required to wear them.

Stand by for any other info regarding this.

I believe what you are hearing is in regards to the issue shirts and trousers for wear in the Philippines (and maybe Hawaii). They were in short supply and had to be turned in when leaving the command for stateside. I will try to dig that up later.

RC

• 2 years later...

The officer's model of this "M1926" coat has officer bands around the cuffs. Mine has a rust stapled white tag that reads " Coat Breast 37 L." Buttons are "Devens & Co. Inc." Nice Coats y'all, thanks for the posts.

• 1 year later...

An interesting depiction, albeit inaccurate, of a M1926 coat worn in a major motion picture, the 1955, The Long Gray Line. Here the film's finale see's M/Sgt Marty Maher at his retirement parade at West Point, (of course the real Maher retired as a Buck Sergeant in 1928 after 30 years of service, and stayed on as a War Department Civilian Employee).

post-34986-0-00099900-1524192384.jpg

This part presumably takes place in the 50s when the movie was made, not when the real Maher retired finally. In any event, the coat he would be wearing if this was true would not be the obsolete model here, but the exact same one the other officers are wearing, the coat now being worn by EM's after 1947.

post-8038-1254257874.jpeg

post-8038-1254279028.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I posted this jacket on the "what is it" topic in haste... When I checked the pockets and the associated museum transfer paperwork I not only got a partial i.d. but the insignia, which then matched to the campaign hat we received. Member Patches suggested I share it here as it may be the first 32nd Division M1926 in the forum?

This belonged to a Cpl Labbe who actually retired as a Colonel. He was in the 125th Infantry (Detroit's Light Guard). We have received many of the Labbe items and expect more next week. Hopefully we get the trousers. Thanks for looking and thanks to Patches. Scott

post-104832-0-47823700-1558937084_thumb.jpg

post-104832-0-52467000-1558937094_thumb.jpg

post-104832-0-92161100-1558937105_thumb.jpg

post-104832-0-25295900-1558937119_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

And another division crops up wearing the ytpe, now the 6th Division. Check out all their cartridge belts, they seem dyed OD right!