M-1926 enlisted summer service coat

fordmustanggt_350

FriscoHare

According to Pinoy History Forum member RayAdillO, "For infantry, canvas leggings or wrap around puttees are worn." However, I'm not sure about Coast Artillery. Here's a close up of a photo of C Company, 60th CA Regiment in pre-1938 Corregidor. They look like they are wearing leggings, but not entirely sure.

post-4247-1307158726.jpg

These 45th Infantry Regt Enlisted men also seem to be wearing leggings, not boots. (From PSHS)

gayanilo.jpg

Hope they help.

FriscoHare

Also, here's an excerpt from The Coast Artillery Journal, February 1930, in regards to uniforms in the P.I. Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about leggings, but figured I'd post it, just for reference.

post-4247-1307160334.jpg

fordmustanggt_350

Ok, here is another question. I have not been able to find anything in the regulations but where was the Summer khaki coat authorized for wear? I know with other summer/tropical uniforms you were allowed to wear items like this on the Western U.S. during the summer months is this true? Also in 1929 or early 1930's would they have worn the M1902 enlisted belt for dress situations?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have an EM summer service coat too, but I don't understand why mine is so dark!

Maybe was re-dyed darker for WW2 use? Any guess?

Behind it is a khaki shirt

img2164cp.jpg

Uploaded with No_outside_hosting.us

img2166e.jpg

Uploaded with No_outside_hosting.us

Does this coat of yours have any indication of Insignia that was on it? collar discs etc.

RustyCanteen

First I will add my comments on the use of leggings in the PI during the 1930s (when this uniform was authorized) as I understand it. For garrison duty only the wool wrap leggings were supposed to be worn by EM, though I guess some might have snuck in leather leggings depending on duty; for field duty canvas leggings would be worn. Again, that is how I understand it was done, I suppose it could be mistaken.

Now, the darker than normal uniform in post 33. Is it dark khaki or dark green? Patches, note the absence of grommets for collar discs; I wonder if it is a tailor made uniform? A check of the interior (on or around the interior of the coat, where the lower right (if you were wearing it) pocket will confirm the presence or absence of a contract tag.

@ Rusty, I agree Now, the darker than normal uniform in post 33. Is it dark khaki or dark green? Patches, note the absence of grommets for collar discs; I wonder if it is a tailor made uniform? A check of the interior (on or around the interior of the coat, where the lower right (if you were wearing it) pocket will confirm the presence or absence of a contract tag.

This is may feeling thus far, the poster maybe thinks this might of been dyed during the war, if this was a coat that was dyed dark to be more "OD", I would imagine it seen wear, if so, there should be indications of insignia's that were on it, I mean why would a guy go to all the trouble of dyeing it and not wear it at least a few times.

I would almost guaantee that the darker shade cotton coats shown above were privately purchased and tailor made. I used to have a couple, both officer and EM, with Hawaiian Division SSI's. I believe these predated the issue (mid '30's) khaki coats. The only authorized shade was drab, in wool, but these seem to have been made in Hawaii in the authorized color but unauthorized (except locally?) material.

G

I would almost guaantee that the darker shade cotton coats shown above were privately purchased and tailor made. I used to have a couple, both officer and EM, with Hawaiian Division SSI's. I believe these predated the issue (mid '30's) khaki coats. The only authorized shade was drab, in wool, but these seem to have been made in Hawaii in the authorized color but unauthorized (except locally?) material.

G

Agreed, I actually think this darker coat is nifty, a great add to any collection, too bad Rossi don't have it's matching trousers or Breeches, or does he?

RustyCanteen

G

Agreed, I actually think this darker coat is nifty, a great add to any collection, too bad Rossi don't have it's matching trousers or Breeches, or does he?

I completely agree with both of you.

I will take some more pics of the coat soon, but I can tell you I see no sign of once present insignia of any kind; I looked for tags but found none, only the markings of size (42) on the inside of the coat, but not on the collar, on the pockets instead.

The color its a dark khaki, not green, but it's not as dark as a M-1939 coat.

Unfortunately it's just the jacket! No breeches

Thank you all for the contributions!

• 4 months later...
agate hunter

I purchased a khaki enlisted mens jacket today (my first one I've had) and also happened to pick up a colored portrait photo of a man wearing a khaki enlisted uniform (not the same uniform, got the items from different vendors at the flea market). I'll post pictures later today or tomorrow, but here's an old thread of mine where forum member robinb posted a 249th Coast Artillery (Oregon National Guard) cotton khaki enlisted mans uniform: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/149696-coast-artillery-display-at-wwii-living-history-event/

*Again, this is not my uniform, just posting for reference:

post-10495-0-54265100-1377938728.jpg

post-10495-0-40397000-1377938738.jpg

Ok, so now here's some pics of the uniform I picked up yesterday. And a photo I picked up (separate from the uniform) of a soldier wearing the khaki enlisted man's service coat.

post-10495-0-98639000-1378002717.jpg

post-10495-0-76652400-1378002728.jpg

Here's the picture. Patch looks like 29th Infantry Division, but I could be wrong. And the DIs look like the 26th Infantry Regiment, which I think is with the 1st Infantry Division, so any help on the insignia of this pic would be appreciated.

*Also note, on the above uniform, the bottom button (a rimless one) is an extra I put on, as the coat was missing the lower button when I purchased it.

post-10495-0-30630300-1378002960.jpg

post-34986-0-10235000-1378006704.jpg

I do believe the DIs will be for the 35th Infantry of the Hawaiian Division, this type uniform was most common in the Hawaiian Division and Hawaiian Department in them days.

35th Infantry.

post-34986-0-09661100-1378006792.jpg

Hawaiian Division (patch would in October 1941 be used as the patch of the newly activate 24thInfantry Division)

post-34986-0-52389300-1378006751.jpg

Thanks patches, I think you're right. While looking at the original, it does look like there's the blue corner on the DI, and for the patch, I bet the grayish looking part on it is the corner of the leaf.

Thanks patches, I think you're right. While looking at the original, it does look like there's the blue corner on the DI, and for the patch, I bet the grayish looking part on it is the corner of the leaf.

The Grayish part I would say is a smidgen of the Red Background we're seeing, B/W you know :lol: Believe it not this old Hawaiian Division patch has in the past turned up on period photo portraits at least a couple of times, in which guys, myself included, are scratching their heads to think "What Patch Is He's Wearing?" These are shown in the oblique sewn on the shoulder obviously, and for some reason seems to be unfamilar looking at first.

Fabulous Khaki Coat by the way, this one you bought appears to be in excellent condidtion.

• 2 months later...

A Khaki uniform worn in a temporate climate sighting.

post-34986-0-59196500-1384919453.jpg

B Company 16th Infantry, 1st Division parades on Governers Island, New York City, the caption say Spring of 1938, but as they still wear puttees, it might be wrong, and the photo was taken earlier in a summer month at such a time where the leggings were not worn yet, very early 30s?

Of extra interest is the old style Guidon, which not only has a White border, but also appears to larger in size.

They were still wearing wool puttees in 1937-1938, so the caption is probably correct.

I even talked to a guy who wore them in 1940.

RC

They were still wearing wool puttees in 1937-1938, so the caption is probably correct.

I even talked to a guy who wore them in 1940.

RC

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Another fine example of the Khaki coat.

One James Valk Hawaiian Department 1930s actual date unknown. Unfortunetely we can't make out the DIs on the lower lapels, wouldn't be for any of the Infantry Regiments as they as we know were over in the Hawaiian Division.

post-34986-0-90185000-1387561720.jpg