USMC armband/brassard

jagdpanzer

jagdpanzer

Hello to all.

I see this brassard on sale in a spanish auction site. What is the meaning of SOG? When still in use this type of brassard? Who carried it?

10541918.jpg

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english.

Alex

I beive this is for the 26th Marine Service Support Group (MSSG) - Special Operation Group (SOG). They would give field support to a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) such as non-combatant evacuation operations, medical treatment and evacuation of casualties on a large scale, and humanitarian aid and assistance operations.

It includes providing supply, maintenance, transportation, deliberate engineering, medical and dental, automated information processing, utilities, landing support, disbursing, legal, and postal service necessary to support the MEU.

The MSSG also provided a combat service support area, which served as the central supply point for the MEU during missions. When they weren't providing assistance to those units, Marines and Sailors of MSSG-26 also provided patrolling and rear-area security.

If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

Hope that can help you.

-D

You got the unit right, it's the MEU Service Support Group-26 (MEU, Marine Expeditionary Unit), however, it's actually an armband designating "Sergeant of the Guard".

MSSG"s (the term was phased out several years ago, BTW) were comprised of Communications, Engineers, Landing Support, Cooks, Motor Transport, etc, usually at Platoon or lesser strength. (I was a member of MSSG-24 and if this was from that unit I'd jump on it cause I wore one similiar in 1999).

Neat piece, likely worn by someone in the command element at the NCO level aboard ship or at Headquarters in French Creek, (Camp Lejeune) North Carolina.