Help w/ Authenticity of VMCJ-2 USMC Patch

summersdogs

summersdogs

Hello to all,

Once again I'm humbly searching for information on a recent husband-scrounged patch. This one is a VMCJ-2 which seems to have been removed from a garment; also looks to have been laundered as patch is rather soft, not stiff to the feel. Diameter is 4 1/2". Any comments as to authenticity/age of other relevant information will be greatly appreciated.

Lynn C.

post-1405-1246894247.jpg

post-1405-1246894258.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

In viewing the highly mythical griffin - I would say its late 50's era. Looks perfectly fine to me.

teufelhunde.ret
Marine Electronic Attack Squadron 2, looks good to me!

Mark

Actually - Marine Composite Reconnaissance Squadron ;)

s/f Darrell

summersdogs

Thanks to each of you for the fast responses. While researching the VMCJ-2 patch, I saw several references to this bunny head patch. Can someone tell me its relevance/dating as it relates to the "griffin" patch?

Lynn C.

post-1405-1246904971.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

That patch was adopted by the sqdn in early 65 as I recall, very promient w/ aviators flight suit and jacket. The bunny head made it to the tail of the aircraft for a time (replacing CY) in the early seventies the bunny was replaced (under presure) with RF on the tail. You would see some sqdn plagues with the bunny - not often - as it was not the authoirized sqdn design you posted.

The most interesting patches (and rare) are those from the detachments of VMCJ-1-2 & 3. Esp, any cruise on CV-41.

Here is a picture of a later patch... 1969 for comparrison. s/f Darrell

20da6e900.jpg

summersdogs

Thank you, darrell, for the very informative post #6, and again to everyone who responded.

Does anyone think that the VMCJ-2 patch is worth eBaying?

Lynn C.

teufelhunde.ret

Sure it is. As with all ebay sales its about description & title. These are not rare or scarce in any sense. Just seldom seen, hard to come by and desirable to the type or USMC collector. s/f Darrell