WWII RIFLE CASE??

Patriot

I have had this in storage for a few years... and while moving things around, it has surfaced once again. I have not been able to match this to any specific rifle, but the construction appears to be WWII. The stitching, buckles and rings, and OD web material is right-on for military.

Any ideas as to what I have?

Thanks, and Happy 4th of July! Adhere to God and the Constitution!

post-2801-1246726199.jpg

post-2801-1246726206.jpg

bayonetman

I believe this is the Rifle Cover, Model 1918 for the Model 1903 rifle and possibly used to some extent with the Model 1917.

I believe this was not designed as a general issue item, but instead was used for special purposes. I know that covers of this type were issued with the National Match rifles in the 1930s.

Outstanding! I thought it might be for the M1903 rifles - but I could not, for the life of me, find a match! I appreciate the help. Are these hard to come by?

bayonetman

They are not all that common - can't recall seeing any sell recently so can't even suggest a value. Not a great deal of interest in them since they are not really combat related.

craig_pickrall

20 or 25 years ago they were very common. That must have been when the govt unloaded them. I had 3 of them I bought as a group for about $10. One of them a mouse chewed on and the sling was eaten about half way thru. I sold it on ebay 4 or 5 years ago and I think it was for $65. It was in new condition except for the mouse damage.

A 03 fits fine as does a M1 but I thought they were made for the BAR. I'm not where my manuals are at the moment so I can't confirm that.

Charlie Flick
A 03 fits fine as does a M1 but I thought they were made for the BAR.

Hi Craig:

I don't have a BAR to fit into my own example of the Model 1918 Rifle Cover, sad to say, but I think it might be too large to fit. I have not checked my research materials but I do seem to recall that there was a similar, but larger cover for the BAR.

Most of the contemporary photos I have in my archive of this cover show it in use by competitive shooters at the National Matches at Camp Perry and elsewhere. I agree with Gary's comment above that it was not generally regarded as a combat item. However, how does one explain this photo below? This photo was taken in the 1930s. It shows members of the California National Guard (160th Infantry) on maneuvers somewhere. That sure looks like a Model 1918 cover there. Maybe that soldier is just trying to keep his rifle clean for inspection....Looks kinda dusty there in that farm field ditch. On the other hand, maybe he has a BAR in there! :think:

Regards,

Charlie Flick

160thInfCalNGTroopstakingbreak1930s.jpg

I see them on Ebay for around $100 or so. I have had a couple over the years and still have one left for my '03. Is there a date on the inside of the flap?

Too short for the BAR I believe.

craig_pickrall

The 3 I have (had) are unmarked and I don't recall ever looking at one with any markings.