Largest Ribbon Rack You've Ever Seen/Owned?

el taco grande

I haven't seen more ribbons on a USAF general than on General Michael Moseley. 32..... Only 10 more than me.... ;)

-Ski

post-3043-1246922788.jpg

ABrangerjoe

I sure wish my school had more teachers like you! At my school nobody cares about the military or the war, except us ROTC Nazis! :lol: It's a good thing you're doing.

-Joe

• 3 years later...
roadrunner

@ Moderator

Please delete #29

Who is "MilitaryWired" ?

Should it be a joke ?

Here, however, completely out of place !

IMO

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

roadrunner

This uniform belonged to General James Hill and for moment it is on ebay.attachicon.gif_BVQESVQ...gUqw___3.JPG

A few thinks I don't like on this ribbon bar:

1. The first Air Medal ribbon should have 6 silver OLC. The second Air Medal ribbon should have 1 silver OLC.

2. The European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign ribbon should have a silver star device. ( here is a bronze )

3. The Vietnam Service ribbon should have a silver star device ( here is a bronze )

4. In the offical picture are small General stars on the shoulder.

One picture with the General and a unknown person.

Is the eBay seller the same person than on the picture receiving a uniform ?

How many uniforms where given and how many will be sold in the next years ?

Here is a offical picture

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/GEN_Hill%2C_James_E_%28cropped%29.jpg

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION !

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

post-8324-0-99882000-1368995521.jpg

Javelin4life

@ Moderator

Please delete #29

Who is "MilitaryWired" ?

Should it be a joke ?

Here, however, completely out of place !

IMO

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

Michael,

Didn't you hear? Just last week, The Dictator's taken place of George Washington as current General of the Armies!!

It's a joke man, lighten up just a little bit. Once in a while we do like to throw jokes or humor into the threads here, myself included.

riflegreen297

Here is the largest one in my ribbon collection. I found out via the board here it belonged to Col. Jack Callaway.

001-9.jpg

History Man

Here are the 2 largest in my collection, sadly both are unidentified. The pilot set is to a Lt. Commander and the LOM is to a Captain.

Philip

post-25965-0-19558100-1369009613.jpg

post-25965-0-54092200-1369009618.jpg

As worn by a fellow collector, who at his retirement was the "most decorated Marine on active duty"... (sorry the pic is so small...apparently when you retire they ditch all the hi-res photos!!)

naribs.jpg

I think this is the biggest one I ever owned...General Orwin Talbott...I had a couple of his uniforms at one point...

Talbott1.jpg

Actually, he's tied with General Vanderheide (I think i spelled that right...) another I owned in about 2005 or so...

RibbonsVander.jpg

Here's the largest I currently own or have ever owned...Ribbon rack of Colonel Ernest Brydon, USMC.

The uniform and cover are Brydon's however I restored the ribbons using the info from his file.

post-29885-0-66764500-1369064433.jpg

post-29885-0-53845000-1369064439.jpg

As worn by a fellow collector, who at his retirement was the "most decorated Marine on active duty"... (sorry the pic is so small...apparently when you retire they ditch all the hi-res photos!!)

Richard Natonski?

1SG_1st_Cav

This rack was for 1SG ® Thomas J. Vernor, US Navy (1941-1945) US Army (1946-1972). Top Vernor enlisted in the US Navy on 11 Nov 1941 at the age of 15 years, 6 months, and 8 days old. After training he was assigned to Torpedo Squadron VT-3 as a Gunner on a TBD aboard CV-5 (USS Yorktown). During the Battle of Coral Sea his plane was hit and was ditched in the ocean, and they were picked up soon after. During the Battle of Midway, his TBD was hit on 5 June 1942, the Enlisted Pilot, Radio Operator, and Top Vernor were wounded and the pilot crash-landed the plane aboard the USS Yorktown. He was awarded his 1st PH at age 16 years, 1 month, and 2 days old. After undergoing several months of hospitalization, Top decided to volunteer for Underwater Demolition Duty. He was assigned to UDT Team-11 and helped clear the beaches for the invasion of Okinawa. Later, his team was moved ashore to clear mines and booby traps. On 27 July 1945, Top was wounded by a Japanese sniper. With a chest full of medals, he was discharged shortly after his 19th Birthday in December 1945. There were no jobs in Dumas, AR to be had, so he enlisted in the US Army on 15 March 1946. During the Korean War Top earned his 1st Silver Star while fighting with the 2nd ID. His 1st tour in Vietnam was July 67 - July 68, with the 2nd Bn, 17th FA.

His 2nd Tour was with A-1-30th FA from Oct 68 to Oct 1969, earning a Silver Star w/ 2 OLCs, a Soldiers Medal, a Bronze Star Medal w/V and 2 OLCs, PH with 3 OLCs, ARCOM w/V and 2 OLCs, Air Medal with Numeral "4", and the RVN Gallantry Cross with Gold Star. Top continued to extend his tours and finally left Vietnam for good in March 1972 after standing down several combat units. He served a total of 47 months in Vietnam, and retired with 31 years total Active Duty in September 1972. He then went on to serve in the CIA for 19 years. Top passed away in 2007 at the age of 81, and we laid him to rest at Arlington National Cemetery with appropriate honors.

In 2008, we dedicated the 30th Field Artillery regimental Room in Snow Hall, at Ft Sill, OK as the 1SG Thomas J. Vernor Auditorium. You looked passed the three Silver Stars, Soldiers Medal, Navy/Marine Corps Medal, BSM W/V and 6 OLCs, PH w/ 3 OLCs, AM w/ Numeral "4", and ARCOM w/V and 2 OLCs. Top was a hero to many of us who knew him, and especially those who served in combat with him because of the man he was. Rest well 'ol Trooper.

Note: Top Vernor was the National Sergeant at Arms Emeritus for the MOPH when he passed away. Danny

post-1691-0-72688100-1369079759.jpg

firefighter

Top, thank you for bringing 1SG Vernor's INCREDIBLE story to light.He sounds look an amazing man, sailor & soldier.He has seen more things by his 17th birthday than most people, including, my self have ever seen or done.RIP 1st Sergeant Thomas Vernor.

1SG_1st_Cav

Here is Top Vernor with President Bush in 2004. He was undergoing his first chemo and radiation treatments for throat cancer. He could not eat and had to take nourishment thru a feeding tube. Danny

post-1691-0-88903200-1369102512.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

This is a picture of Top just after we was awarded his 3rd SS and an ARCOM w/V. The 2nd picture is him with GEN Abrams. As the 1SG of A-1-30th FA for one full year, his Battery suffered 24 KIAs and over 100 WIAs. The NVA had a bounty out for our 155s as we kicked the shinola out of them and they didn't like it. And yes, he is wearing 1st Cav patches on both sleeves. He was the toughest little SOB that I ever had the pleasure to know. He was only 5' 6", but back in the day he was built like a bull. Danny

post-1691-0-73260100-1369102847.jpg

post-1691-0-17364400-1369102864.jpg

CHASEUSA11B

Awesome pics 1SG1stCav, thanks for sharing. Ive never seen a double patched 1st Cav jungle jacket from Vietnam. You men had an amazing history in Vietnam and I'm sure Top's accolades were well deserved.

roadrunner

Hello

These ribbon bar I've seen at the Air Force Museum Wright-Patterson AFB (OH) near Dayton.

The service coat on the mannequin was

donated by Lt. Col. William H. F. Page.

USAF (Ret). The 35 ribbons represent

awards and decorations earned during 37

years of military service (1943-1980).

He was a command pilot with 10,000

hours flying time in more than 20 different

combat and support aircraft.

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

post-8324-0-22418600-1369164445.jpg

aerialbridge

Good Memorial Day weekend to all. Since this time of remembrance used to be known as Decoration Day, back to the top for this post, appropriately about Decorations. This is the largest ribbon rack I’ve seen and ever expect to own. It even required special tailoring. Seriously, the SDK and SDB ribbon racks of the 26-year Navy mustang (SMM) the subject of the cartoon are only ½ as copious as the cartoon rack and didn’t require extra jacket material. His service ended in ‘49 and considering that Fleet Admirals King and Halsey had 9 pre-1950 US ribbons and Nimitz had 8- not the 30+ as they probably would today- it’s a sizable rack for its era (more of a typeset) and includes 2 ribbons with “V” devices. Those original papers are in order and each was a downgrade from his CO’s recommendations. From memory, I believe the permanent citations were signed by Forrestal and Turner.

Cartoonist's interpretation of one large WWII and prior Ribbon Rack-

post-18406-0-38204300-1369595941.jpg

I just picked these up recently. The first two pictures are from a USN Aviator in Viet Nam;

SANY0038_zps3434f38e.jpg

SANY0051_zps800e6dc5.jpg

The last one is an un-identified ribbon rack.

SANY0048_zps815f5f84.jpg