Largest Ribbon Rack You've Ever Seen/Owned?

el taco grande

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know he received the MOH.

He got it for abandoning his men in the Philippines and "Heroically" falling back to Australia

firefighter

I have owned numerous very large ribbon bars. However, This is one of my favorites.

4starchris

Who's rack did this belong to?

He got it for abandoning his men in the Philippines and "Heroically" falling back to Australia

Would he have done more for the fighting in the Pacific by being a POW? Things to think about...sometimes "fighting another day" is a better option.

With that, let's keep the comments on the thread focused on the topic of the thread...bashing of popularly-bashed figures has a tendency to go downhill and result in the loss of a good thread.

Thanks,

Dave

Would he have done more for the fighting in the Pacific by being a POW? Things to think about...sometimes "fighting another day" is a better option.

With that, let's keep the comments on the thread focused on the topic of the thread...bashing of popularly-bashed figures has a tendency to go downhill and result in the loss of a good thread.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave I should add that it wasn't my intent to "bash" him as he was quite a successful and had a few well earned valour medals. That being said the CMH is not one of those and IMHO if he had been a POW after making a last stand with his men he would likely have proved worthy of one.

As for largest rack I think that Col Day's is right up there

post-107343-0-74043600-1369795396.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Coming soon to a house exactly like mine; unattributed 18 place. The pic is from the auction and says it all IMHO

post-114-0-39636200-1372628278.jpg

Something tells me this is a put together piece. There are two Air Medal ribbons on the rack, one of them has five bronze clusters instead of one silver and the other has what looks like six bronze (or maybe its two silver and four bronze, I cant really tell.

That is correct, at least in the Army. Two ribbons for the same medal is acceptable if there are so many devices that they will not fit on a single ribbon bar. I do nor know about the USAF of if this particular set is legitiamate.

firefighter

Dave I should add that it wasn't my intent to "bash" him as he was quite a successful and had a few well earned valour medals. That being said the CMH is not one of those and IMHO if he had been a POW after making a last stand with his men he would likely have proved worthy of one.

As for largest rack I think that Col Day's is right up there

attachicon.gifCol_George_Day_1987.jpg

I want to start by saying I think Col. Day is a brave and great man.He fought in 3 Wars in the 3 different services, Marines(42-45), Army(45-50) & the AF(50-77) 35yrs of service.Looking at his MOH & AFC citations it look's to me that they were both awarded for the same time period, as a POW.Or is it just me?

firefighter

Yup.Looks like the bottom 4 row's are all commemorative ribbons.Still very impressive even with out those.

Here's a double rack for you! Williston and Charlie Palmer. Charlie served under my great-grandfather and they were both dear family friends to the end.

I'm given to understand that they were the only two brothers to serve as four-star generals on active duty at the same time.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

firefighter

Interesting ribbon rack in post #70.I have never seen r heard of the Air Force BASIC TRAINING Honor Graduate ribbon having a star or olc.It is a ONE time award only.I am guessing the person is/was a Combat Controller attached to an Army unit, Army Commendation & Achievement medals?The Gallant Unit Citation & Joint Mert Unit award need 2 be switched.He also has the SW Asia Medal with out the Kuwati Liberation Medal.If he was a Combat Controller or PJ I would think the HALO wings should be on the uniform.Does anybody know who this belongs to?

I bought this shirt from manions years ago , I didn't think it was real until I researched the guy from NARA and got a good amount of paperwork on him. I posted about it here a few years ago.

post-195-0-71028500-1373779258.jpg

Interesting ribbon rack in post #70.I have never seen r heard of the Air Force BASIC TRAINING Honor Graduate ribbon having a star or olc.It is a ONE time award only.I am guessing the person is/was a Combat Controller attached to an Army unit, Army Commendation & Achievement medals?The Gallant Unit Citation & Joint Mert Unit award need 2 be switched.He also has the SW Asia Medal with out the Kuwati Liberation Medal.If he was a Combat Controller or PJ I would think the HALO wings should be on the uniform.Does anybody know who this belongs to?

It was an actual bio photo from an official Air Force website. He was an aircrew member. I do understand what your saying about the Honor Grad ribbon. I spent six years active duty Air Force. The SW Asia Medal was awarded for an episode after the "official close of combat operations" in the region. I think up until '95. The Kuwati Lib Medal was only awarded to those in country at the time of liberation. So that explains that. I can only surmise about the Army awards. I have a good friend that I served with who cross trained from Security over to loadmaster who has an impressive rack who was awarded similar Army awards for transporting and dropping in members of Army units and in support of Army units on the ground.

• 9 months later...
uniformcollector

Here's a pretty large one. It is from the uniform of General Andrew Goodpaster (1915-2005) that I have in my collection. It is all original, but there is one ribbon that he did not wear on this uniform (the Distinguished Service Cross). He was Staff Secretary and Defense Liaison Officer to President Eisenhower, Commander of the San Francisco District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 8th Infantry Division, Director of the Joint Director of the Joint Staff, Commandant of the National War College, Deputy Commander of MACV and Commander-in-Chief of USEUCOM and Supreme Allied Commander of NATO Forces. He was also given the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Reagan in 1984.

post-104949-0-95040100-1399679871.jpg

uniformcollector

Here's a pretty large one. It is from the uniform of General Andrew Goodpaster (1915-2005) that I have in my collection. It is all original, but there is one ribbon that he did not wear on this uniform (the Distinguished Service Cross). He was Staff Secretary and Defense Liaison Officer to President Eisenhower, Commander of the San Francisco District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 8th Infantry Division, Director of the Joint Director of the Joint Staff, Commandant of the National War College, Deputy Commander of MACV and Commander-in-Chief of USEUCOM and Supreme Allied Commander of NATO Forces. He was also given the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Reagan in 1984.

attachicon.gifphoto-20.JPG

Correction:

This is not the uniform of General Goodpaster, but instead one that I have that remains unidentified. I do have a Goodpaster uniform, but it had a smaller ribbon bar.