Show your 29th Stuff!

FW12

New post about one of my good friends in the 29th division:

Captain Franck T Steele, 110th FABn

lot of insignia, ribbons etc. Offered by tom

4qdsj1t.jpg

4vq2zk0.jpg

German surrender At Brest (photo was published in Life magazine Oct 44)

662t3wp.jpg

B&W copy of SS citation

4xlmgck.jpg

Yannick

• 4 weeks later...

PFC John G. Saucier

A.T. Co., 175th Inf. Regt., 29th Inf. Div.

I bought this grouping at a militaria show several years ago but have had no luck with Nat. Archives information or locating relatives.

More to come!

Bryan

MVC-035S.jpg

John Saucier is in the middle of the picture.

BAR012-1.jpg

Hommage to Roy O. Stevens, A/116. Roy passed away this year. He was from bedford, VA and served in A/116. His twin brother Ray, also in A/116 was KIA on Omaha beach june 6th 1944.

I've had the great honor to meet Roy Stevens at Brest in 1994 for the 50th. He was kind enough to send me copies of pictures of him and his twin brother Ray. As the anniversary of D-Day is coming soon, I'am happy to share those photos with you.

the jacket and insignias are from my collection but were not mounted together.

4kwgt8n.jpg

Roy O Stevens

61yt4lv.jpg

His brother Ray, killed in action, first wave, Omaha Beach 6/6/44, first wave

4y80pxj.jpg

Yannick

Johan Willaert

Wow!!!!

Here are some of my 29th jackets...

IKE Jacket of Sgt KELLER, a post Normandy replacement of the 116th....

KellerJacket.jpg

Tailor Made IKE of Capt Charles POWELL, CO of Service Co/116th Inf throughout WW2....

PowellIKE.jpg

IKE Jacket of GIBEAULT, served with the 29th thru all campaigns and rotated hom with the 69ID in the summer of 1945 (29th Combat Patch on right sleeve)

29thGibeaultIKE.jpg

HBT Jacket with painted 29th Insignia (unidentified, never traced the laundry Code O-2197)

29HBT-1.jpg

29HBT-2.jpg

29HBT-3.jpg

UnID'd Jacket from a C/175th GI.... Note the collar discs ....

C-175InfJacketInsignia.jpg

Garrison Caps from the 116th Inf, 111th FA and 115th Inf

29thGarrisonCap.jpg

Will post more after I get back from Normandy next week!

Johan

Photos of 29th division regimental crests and collar discs

115th (1st Maryland)

62ocztk.jpg

5076nvr.jpg

below: From 115th vet Raymond E. Moon (the patch was the one he wore on his field jacket at Brest. When he was wounded in germany, he asked the medic who cut his jacket to keep the division patch... that he offered to me in 1997 in Valley Forge, PA. Great gift!

53tne5k.jpg

Below: 116th "stonewall brigade:

116th off crossed rifle from BG james D. Sink (landed on Omaha as Captain HQHQco) a gift from his son in 1994. top CIb and patch from a 116th vet who was WIA near Brest in sept 44. Below CIB found at Brest in a farm where the stonewallers had some rest after the battle of Brest.

54mfypx.jpg

175th "5th Maryland"

saddly, no known story on themexept for the small pin on chain which is a gift from my friend Dan relihan from F/175. The 5th MD and pin back crest where from a vet estate sale in USA. I've the photo of the soldier wearing them on jacket but have no name to put on.

4q8eykm.jpg

Yannick

Johan Willaert

The Nazi FLag below is shown as part of a 29th Grouping only!!!! No offence is meant by posting this flag!!!!!

The flag was signed by members of the 29th Reconnaissance Platoon in Germany early 1945.... Somewhere I have more paperwork from Wallace Davis, with his St Lo certificate...

NaziFlag003.jpg

NaziFlag004.jpg

Johan Willaert

Service Jacket of Fred WHITT.... Whitt was a Forward Observer with the 283rd FA Bn. This unit was attached to a large number of units all thru the ETO Campaign, mostly to 1st and 7th Army units...

Also it was attached to the 29th Division on several occasions...

For whatever reason, Fred Whitt badged his jacket up with 110FA/29th ID insignia for his Separation at Fort Meade in 1945. The US manograms have MD letters for the MD National Guard and crossed canons have the numbers broken off...

The jacket has ghost marks of a 1Army patch on the left sleeve under the 29th patch, and a 7tArmy patch on the right sleeve...

The 283FA Bn CO of WW2 told me most of the time his men wore no badges at all, or they wore whatever they wanted....

Whitt's daughter couldn't tell me why this jacket had 29th insignia.... Maybe it's just a jacket he picked up before returning home???

Anyway, here it is, note the Air Medal earned flying in L4 observation planes....

110FAJacket.jpg

Johan

craig_pickrall

Johan, you might check to see if he continued service in the Maryland National Guard as that is part of the 29th and may account for the patch. He also has the Victory Medal ribbon and the Occupation ribbon which indicate continued service post war.

It was fairly common to see lots of vets in the NG post war. One in particular that comes to mind had been a B17 pilot and was discharged as a major. He wanted in the 29th NG DIV and the only slot he could get was as a M/SGT in supply. His son and I loved that because we had a steady supply of rations , practice grenades and lots of other goodies for our war games. He retired from the NG in that same M/SGT slot. I think he was a pre war member of the NG too.

You guys are showing some really great stuff!! How the heck do you do it from across the pond? I have lived in Maryland all of my life and can't find anything from the 29th! Happy Hunting

Not nearly as impressive as anything else i've seen on this thread but I have a small collection of DI's that i've recently been putting together:

159883619-L.jpg

please excuse the poor photograph! :D

My only 29th item, an English-made tunic with Liaison pilot wing, unfortunately un-named. I bought this one about 15 years ago and still love it. Mark.

post-527-1181088541.jpgpost-527-1181088585.jpg

Hommage to Roy O. Stevens, A/116. Roy passed away this year. He was from bedford, VA and served in A/116. His twin brother Ray, also in A/116 was KIA on Omaha beach june 6th 1944.

I've had the great honor to meet Roy Stevens at Brest in 1994 for the 50th. He was kind enough to send me copies of pictures of him and his twin brother Ray. As the anniversary of D-Day is coming soon, I'am happy to share those photos with you.

the jacket and insignias are from my collection but were not mounted together.

4kwgt8n.jpg

Roy O Stevens

61yt4lv.jpg

His brother Ray, killed in action, first wave, Omaha Beach 6/6/44, first wave

4y80pxj.jpg

Yannick

Yannick,

I knew Mr. Stevens and talked with him on numerous occasions up at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford (I live around 15 miles away and am a volunteer at the memorial). I held Mr. Stevens in exceptionally high regard, as did the community of Bedford. I attended his funeral back in January, and well over a hundred of us stood out in the parking lot listening to the service, because there wasn't enough room inside the Chapel. He was a fine gentleman and is missed dearly. Tomorrow is the 63rd Anniversary of D-Day, and I know many of us attending the ceremony will be thinking of him. I'm so glad you too had the pleasure to meet him.

Best,

Beau

Thanks Beau, glad to hear your lines. I heard about Roy Stevenr's death while surfing on Youtube where there is a short but emmotional film about him.

I've been to Normandy two days ago (and met with Johan there thumbsup.gif ). I spent the afternoon visiting Omaha and going to the US cemetery visiting some graves. Tomorrow, along with my wife and kids, I'll go back to Normandy for two days, accompanying the group of 29th veterans in some historical places, ceremonies and at St James Brittany american Cemetery. I'll post about it.

My though today are for the soldiers who gave their lives, the veterans and their families, and all the veterans I've had the honor to meet along the years and that have gone since... I'll never forget them.

Another small evocation of the 29th division. The beret, patch and CIB are souvenirs from the campaign of Brittany from a 116th veteran wounded there. Helmet liner, USM3 and dog tag are all from 29th battlefield.

6b3hyiq.jpg

Yannick

Got this little 29th insignia group in today and pretty excited about it. I imagine the fellow was with the 29th on D-Day since he has the Arrowhead on the EAME. This Sarge sure spent a long time in Europe!

Beau

post-88-1181941125.jpg

post-88-1181941229.jpg

• 1 year later...
Croix de Guerre

Here's one for you all. I've been collecting WWI images since the early '90's and I'm here to tell you that WWI 29th Division patched photos are tough to find for some reason.

John Spottswood Hickson (Now THATS a Virginia name!)

Born April 24, 1887

Halifax, Virginia

Co. L 116th Inf. 29th Division

post-3356-1215958593.jpg

I don't have any 29th stuff to show. My great-uncle, SSgt Francis F. Lazorick, was in D. Co, 175th Infantry. He was KIA near St. Lo on 18 June 1944. If you guys have anything that might mention him or a picture of him in your collections would you mind letting me know? Maybe you would please take a look through your collections? Heck, I don't even have a picture of him, all I have are 9 v-mails, the box his Purple Heart came in, and the 48-star flag that was on his coffin when he was re-buried in Pennsylvania.

By the way have you been to the 29th Museum in Baltimore, MD? The curator, Joe Balkoski, is a great person. And there are a lot of records there like AARs, etc.

R,

Paul

Croix de Guerre

LEST WE SHOULD FORGET

Cpl. Raymond L. Heer, Company E. 114th Infantry, 29th Division

Died of Wounds rec'd in combat October 19, 1918

Buried Meuse-Argonne Cemetery Grave 35, Bl. B, Row 7

post-3356-1215964586.jpg