Original Vietnam Graffiti Helmets

DiGilio

Thanks for the suggestion. I sucked it up and found out how to do it w/ Photoshop...problem is now I'm addicted to it... :crying:

Absolutely Stunning Images No Expert, thank you very much for taking the trouble to post them.

Hi Joe, yes, i was lucky enough to acquire the cover, strangely It had been purchased by an old friend. Many thanks for all your help In that direction.

Yours, Guy.

Here's some pix of my grafiti helmet. The graffiti was put on with whatever was available at the moment. some of it was done with a black felt tip pen, the kind used for writing on paper. The darker wriring was done with a permanent "Sharpie" sort of permanent marker used to mark boxes and field gear. The felt tip ink has faded much more than the permanent marker ink. Helmets were almost never worn so it does not look as faded or red dirt-tained as most grunt helmets were.

post-1107-1283460520.jpg

post-1107-1283460526.jpg

Lastly....a shot of the helmet being worn in the field (or, more correctly, just before going to the filed)...first on left kneeling. This is Recon Teams Grim Reaper and Crabtree about to go to the field on the first of two times we wore helmets to the field. You can see in the pic that several others also have some sort of graffiti or other on their helmets.

post-1107-1283461269.jpg

Bill, is this your original helmet set from your Vietnam days ? Or just you old cover that you kept and now put on a new helmet for display ?

It's my helmet and cover but the liner isn't. Jump liners were scarce, not everyone had one, and I felt guilty taking one home. The jump liner came from another Recon Marine who brought his liner home some months later. About 15 years ago a local surplus dealer offered to replace the torn chinstrap (I didn't know any better then) and I don't know if he replaced it with a Vietnam era chinstrap or not (can't really tell the difference).

Bill,

I wish my uncles and cousin were like you and brought back all their combat gear and uniforms from WW2, Indochina and Algeria !

Its always a treat to see your old "stuff" ! :thumbsup:

A.

Bill,

I wish my uncles and cousin were like you and brought back all their combat gear and uniforms from WW2, Indochina and Algeria !

Its always a treat to see your old "stuff" ! :thumbsup:

A.

I can only echo Andrei's comments.

Absolutely magnificent piece and provenance, thank you Bill for taking the time to share It with us. we are fortunate Indeed to have men amongst us who actually wore these things In anger.

Very Best Regards, Guy.

Here's a Marine helmet, no graffiti but a name "Olson" on the side in white. It's also on the other side larger is black but is faded and has a rip through it.

post-2305-1283647216.jpg

Justin,

you Olson helmet is nice. The "Vietnam look" ! :thumbsup:

One of my favorites, it has a very dirty field used Korean War HTB liner, the longer strap is ripped off with only about an inch left, there's a large rip along the top of the seam, and also down the entire other side :crying:

I'll take more photos if you're inetrested!

One of my favorites, it has a very dirty field used Korean War HTB liner, the longer strap is ripped off with only about an inch left, there's a large rip along the top of the seam, and also down the entire other side :crying:

I'll take more photos if you're inetrested!

Really nice Justin!

Would like to see more when you get the chance.

Yours, Guy.

Really nice Justin!

Would like to see more when you get the chance.

Yours, Guy.

Front and side, you can see the ripped all the way down the side :crying: when I got it from the seller it was just left ripped, I've seen a few members here with the same problems with covers and added clear tape to the inside of the cover so I did that, I never removed the cover from the shell, and I only took the liner out once cause I was dying to see the date the cover, which is a white tag USMC 1959 dated. You can see through the ripped Olson again in black, very faded, you can also see a white brim wear mark along the cover, I guess when it ripped it was pulled up or reajusted by the owner before me? I got this helmet on ebay for $12 in 2007

post-2305-1283815902.jpg

post-2305-1283815906.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can post some more. And a little more within a few days.

CALIF

IMG_6693-1.jpg

IMG_6694-1.jpg

IMG_6695-1.jpg

This cover has stuff written in what looks like pencil. 1959 dated USMC. Has "USMC" and what looks like a chevron drawn on. And in very small letters (cant really see it in pictue but its in lower left area) has "16 DEC 1961" with "OUTPOST" under that. Also has "1/06/61" on flap.

IMG_7047-1.jpg

"11CHARLEY" stand for 11C which is the Army MOS for indirect fire infantryman.

IMG_6687-1-1.jpg

IMG_6686-1-1.jpg

Some more ones from Russ

WETSU

H/C 15

MICHIGAN (in pen)

IMG_7086.jpg

IMG_7085.jpg

IMG_7081.jpg

IMG_7083.jpg

PEACE THRU PRAYER (with combined peace sign/cross drawing)

Weeks to go

Ernie

Short

IMG_7080.jpg

IMG_7079.jpg

Charlie

EL SUPREMO

"S?ATZ" & CAROLYN

NG

and some other too faded writing

IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7088.jpg

IMG_7089.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

SUNNY CALIFORNIA

10 MORE DAYS

ETS APR 8 71

VIET NAM IS WHERE ITS AT

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

hiya 1965econoline

it maybe just me but the graffiti on your cover seems to be artificially faded as the fading to the pend areas seem to be more faded & almost white compared to the rest of the cover it maybe just the way the pic's look but i dose look a bit odd to me IMO hope im wrong ?