Original Vietnam Graffiti Helmets

DiGilio

Just got another cover. 1966 dated twill. Whats interesting is what was scribbled out. I can make out "FREE THE HEADS" on one side. And what looks like "LEGALIZE POT" on the other. The type of wear on this cover is consistant with one from someone who would of been stationed in the rear. Although theres nothing showing for sure it was used incountry in VN, I think its likely. There is a 1st LT Michael Adsit who served 1967-1970 as a Utility/Observation Helicopter Pilot listed on a VN vets database :think: .

IMG_6029-1.jpg

IMG_6030-1.jpg

IMG_6035.jpg

Thought I'd share this one, its in a small county historical museum, I wish I had it in my collection. Jon

MVC-898S-2.jpg

MVC-899S-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some info from George on two things written on his cover in post #31. The two things are the cricled "HO-CHI-MIHN" written on the side and the "(4 NOV 66)" with "LONG NITE" under that written on the front of the cover. I think its interesting to know some of the reasons behind "graffiti".

"On the HO-CHI-MIN helmet cover writing is that we heard so much about this that I just put it on the cover. On November 4th we were hit with a mortar attack that killed our commander Major Wratten. At the time we had no bunkers or shelters against this and for a while we did not know what the sounds were. I ended up under a duece and a half right under the gas tank. Once I saw were I was I crawled in a culvert and stayed there. It happened about midnight. After that for the next week I wore my flak jacket when I went to bed.We also built bunkers the next day. We had other mortar attacks but never had any more injuries. That was the extent of my combat in Viet-Nam."

Here is mine. On the front it has the guys last name and a one up stripe, the side is a bit more colorfull. :thumbsup:

post-3273-1276530153.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Mercenary25

Thought I'd contribute mine to this thread though it has been discussed in another thread. It was used by a soldier from 1st Calvary. I checked all the writings that included the locations, indeed 1st Calvary was in those locations so it matches up, but the ranks part is just weird. We have came to the conclusion that ranks were applied post-war, probably by a child of veteran.

DSCF3943.jpg

DSCF3944.jpg

DSCF3945.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry556221

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mercenary

I saw pics of this one when Russ had it. Its good but I dont think you could ever know if it was from VN. Most likely isnt. If I remember correctly, it has something about Penn Relays on the other side 65-69.

Mercenary25

Yes, that's one.

Penn Relays 65-69

National Champs

2 Mile Relays

4 " "

I think it would be possible that he was in VN in 70-72 if he actually raced in 65-69. Why would he write "Days to go", as if he really wanted to go to home.

Just my thought.

Why would he write "Days to go", as if he really wanted to go to home.

There was people all over the world who REALLY wanted to go home. And tons of people in the states finishing up military commitments who REALLY wanted to get the hell out. Lots of soldiers at that time, draftees especially, wanted nothing to do with the military any more. Guys in Germany, Korea, etc., could be just as excited about going home or getting out of the military as a guy in VN was. And lots and lots of guys in VN had to finish up time in the military in the states.

Its possible it was in VN but I really dont see anything specifically pointing to it.

Captainofthe7th

Here's my example. What I presume to be an LT bar on green and brown side, and traced camo on the green side. I assembled the helmet to display the cover.

DSCF3197.jpg

Rob

Some more covers from Russ:

Note how Vietnam is spelled

IMG_6491.jpg

HMFIC

IMG_6498.jpg

"VIETNAM OR BUST" "WHY ME" "NOT GOING" "AWOL"

IMG_6493.jpg

"PUDDIN IN 71" "PUDDIN" "CALIF SIMI" "LIFER" And symbols/letters I cant read

IMG_6494-1.jpg

IMG_6496-1.jpg

Besides the whole "NAM AIRBORNE 101 82" thing, theres a peace sign under that and on one side of the cover "LOVE" and PEACE" and on the other "HATE" and "WAR" written lightly in pen. Also theres what appear to be a name. "JAMES B???". If someone can read it please PM me.

IMG_6502.jpg

IMG_6504-1.jpg

Joe Kravets

I just got this one in the mail, won off of ebay. It seems it was a common practice to outline the camo pattern. Cover is dated 64.

Here is what I have been able to make out:

III M.A.F. - 3rd Marine Amphibious Force

F.L.S.U 2 - Force Logistic Support Unit #2

A-1-3

G-2-7

I-3-2

H-1-9

I-3-7

E-2-9

G-2-4

Ones I haven't yet figured out:

F.L.G. - Force Logistic Group??

M.A.C.5

M.A.-18

004-29-1.jpg

002-24-1.jpg

003-28-1.jpg

001-25-1.jpg

006-28-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Two of some new covers. Trey Moore had got these in a big lot of surplus covers.

You can see the wear from this guy wearing the cover over the chinstraps (or at least the metal clips for them).

IMG_6678.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

Some of the writing on this cover is faded so badly its very hard to see and illegible.

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6680.jpg

Heres a good example of the "Vietnam or Bust" seen on some covers. Its from a video made in 1966 and when it shows this scene it talks about how the 26th Marines are preparing at Camp Pendelton to go to VN in 1966.

VIETNAMORBUST.jpg

post-467-1280675674.jpg

Sweetheart's name. My favorite first name for a lady... my sister's and my grand-mother's. (Catherine and Ekaterina)