Original Vietnam Graffiti Helmets

DiGilio

I just picked up this helmet. It came from the estate. There wasnt an overly fancy story. Just that this was their dads helmet from when he was a Marine in Vietnam 1969 - early 1971. Unfortunely I dont have any other info.

The cover is so beat up and faded that almost everything on it, I cant read. The shell is a repainted WWII front Seam. One chin strap is early sew on and the other has the metal attachment (which is put on wrong so its probably a field repair). The mitchel cover is 1968 dated. The liner looks 1968 dated also.

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3946-1.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

I found this writing on the helmet covers flaps that go between the shell and liner.

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

Writing looks real nice, not a fresh, dark inscription like is seen on newly crafted covers. The few I have seen that I believe to be real are very, very faded and sometimes hard to read.

Looks exactly like what I'd expect to see for period graffitt. I wouldn't have any issues adding this to my collection! :thumbsup:

Writing looks real nice, not a fresh, dark inscription like is seen on newly crafted covers. The few I have seen that I believe to be real are very, very faded and sometimes hard to read.

Agreed: the only one I have has writing that is very faded. If you see sharp dark ink on 40+ year-old fabric, it's probably bogus. I see a lot of old Marine Corps utilities with the stamped EGA's and owner's name and some of them are just about unreadable. Now I will add that stamped names on the inside of dress uniforms hold up pretty well and it may have something to do with the fabric: it may have been a lot more porous than they fabric used for helmet covers.

Anyway, nice find on the helmet.

Thanks for the replies. I also think I got a good one. I just figured to see what you guys thought.

I did manage to partly make out some of the graffiti on the left side. It says "TEXAS" in red but someone scribbled "CALIF." over it in pen. Probably someone just trying to mess around with the guy. Below that and the red bar it says what I think is "LONG HORN". Also on the left side there is some pen writing along with more doodleing/writing towards the top of the helmet but those are so faded and worn that I dont think it could ever be read. You can barely tell anything was even written.

Heres a little update. I rememberd water bringing out graffitti better on past helmets. So I sprayed some plain water over some of the less clear graffitti. You can see some of it more clearly now.

IMG_3993-1.jpg

And heres what looks like TByRD written twice.

IMG_3981-1.jpg

IMG_3972-1.jpg

• 7 months later...

I think I may finally of been able to figure out the original owner of this helmet. TByRD was probably his nickname but it sounds like his last name could of been Byrd. On the VN vets database I looked up all the Byrds from Texas that were in the Marines. After that I narrowed it down more using the years I know he served incountry. After all that there was really only one guy that fit everything including having an MOS that would put this kind of wear on the cover (and his name is Thomas so that could be where the TByrd comes from). The database isnt complete and I could be totally off but I think theres a very good posibility this is the guy.

Name: BYRD THOMAS H

Branch: MARINE CORPS

Rate: E04

MOS: 0331

MOS Title: Machinegunner

Entered: 680401

Discharged:

Service Number:

State: TEXAS

Race: CAUCASIAN

I have a Nam helme with mild graffiti in my collection. Just bought a modern cover for a kevlar helmet that was covered, just because it was interesting for only $2. Guy's whole squad signed it, apparently he was getting out and they wished him luck.

That "GET SOME" with the girl is just great, really made me laugh a little bit. This is a great helmet man, enjoy!

I have a Nam helme with mild graffiti in my collection. Just bought a modern cover for a kevlar helmet that was covered, just because it was interesting for only $2. Guy's whole squad signed it, apparently he was getting out and they wished him luck.

Sounds interesting!....you should start a thread about that cover and post some pics....I would like to see it!.....mike

If anybody has original Vietnam used graffitied helmet covers, it would be great if they were posted on the forums. I love seeing originals and although actual Vietnam used ones are very rare, theres got to be more in collections. This is one of 3 that I have that were used in Vietnam for sure (I also found a fourth a vet may part with).

By the way, if anyone can figure out the original owner of this cover I would really appreciate it. I think theres enough written on it to possibly narrow it down to a single guy but I just cant get anywhere.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=58986&hl

I picked this one up from John O'connor recently.

Warmsley was a Navy Diver I believe but I would love to know more about him. This Isn't heavily graffitti'd but Is really nice none the less. Included was his Daisy mae which Is allso written on. These two just shouted at me when I saw them on display and I had to have them. No exciting short timer callenders or anything but good looking none the less.

Hope you like them.

Regards, Guy.

If anybody has original Vietnam used graffitied helmet covers, it would be great if they were posted on the forums. I love seeing originals and although actual Vietnam used ones are very rare, theres got to be more in collections. This is one of 3 that I have that were used in Vietnam for sure (I also found a fourth a vet may part with).

By the way, if anyone can figure out the original owner of this cover I would really appreciate it. I think theres enough written on it to possibly narrow it down to a single guy but I just cant get anywhere.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=58986&hl

post-1781-1265894932.jpg

I picked this one up from John O'connor recently.

Warmsley was a Navy Diver I believe but I would love to know more about him. This Isn't heavily graffitti'd but Is really nice none the less. Included was his Daisy mae which Is allso written on. These two just shouted at me when I saw them on display and I had to have them. No exciting short timer callenders or anything but good looking none the less.

Hope you like them.

Regards, Guy.

Very nice helmet Guy. I actually e-mailed John O'Conner about possibly buying this helmet when it was for sale. I did a little online research on Wamsley then but couldnt find anything. Still a nice helmet.