Omar T. Hitchner Uniform (Korea KIA, DSC)

DZR

I recently acquired a four pocket jacket and pants that came from Omar T. Hitchner's estate. I understand that he was KIA in Korea and received the DSC. He's also reputed to have given the order to "Kill 'em All" at No Gun Ri. But I can't seem to find anything on his WWII service. Can anyone help me? His patches indicate service with the 9th ID, and the 77th ID, but I'd like to document this if possible.

post-3715-1246294838.jpg

Major Hitchner, Omar T. Army

Distinguished Service Cross

U.S. Army

2nd Bn., 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division

Date of Action: September 6, 1950

Citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross is awarded to Major Omar T. Hitchner, Infantry, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving as commanding officer of the Second Battalion, Seventh Cavalry Regiment, First Cavalry Division, on September 6, 1950, near Singi, Korea. While inspecting the battalion’s forward position, he noticed that the enemy, having complete domination of terrain and observation, were rendering one section of his defense line untenable through a heavy barrage of well-directed fire. Realizing that in order to continue operations it would be necessary for the unit on his sector to shift position and regain fire superiority, with complete disregard for his own personal safety, he personally and unhesitatingly exposed himself to extremely heavy enemy fire in order to draw the attention of the enemy away from his pinned-down unit. To assure that their deployment could be fully accomplished, he remained in his exposed and vulnerable position until he was mortally wounded. Due to this outstanding courage and conspicuous devotion to duty at the supreme sacrifice of his own life, his battalion was able to continue forward to a successful completion of the mission.

SOUTH TO THE NAKTONG, NORTH TO THE YALU Pgs 418-419

The 7th Cavalry's Withdrawal Battle

It was in this crisis that the 7th Cavalry began its withdrawal northwest of Taegu. In his withdrawal instructions for the 7th Cavalry, Col. Cecil Nist, the regimental commander, ordered, "The 2d Battalion must clear Hill 464 of enemy tonight." This meant that the 2d Battalion must disengage from the enemy to its front and attack to its rear to gain possession of Hills 464 and 380 on the new main line of resistance to be occupied by the regiment. Since efforts to gain possession of Hill 464 by other elements had failed in the past two or three days this did not promise to be an easy mission.

Heavy rains fell during the night of 5-6 September and mud slowed all wheeled and tracked vehicles in the withdrawal. The 1st Battalion completed its withdrawal without opposition. During its night march west, the 3d Battalion column was joined several times by groups of North Korean soldiers who apparently thought it was one of their own columns moving south. They were made prisoners and taken along in the withdrawal. Nearing Waegwan at dawn, the battalion column was taken under enemy tank and mortar fire after daybreak and sustained about eighteen casualties.

The 2d Battalion disengaged from the enemy and began its withdrawal at 0300, 6 September. The battalion abandoned two tanks, one because of mechanical failure and the other because it was stuck in the mud. The battalion moved to the rear in two main groups: G Company to attack Hill 464 and the rest of the battalion to seize Hill 380, half a mile farther south. The North Koreans quickly discovered that the 2d Battalion

PERIMETER BATTLE Page 419

was withdrawing and attacked it. The battalion commander, Maj. Omar T. Hitchner, and his S-3, Capt. James T. Milam, were killed. In the vicinity of Hills 464 and 380 the battalion discovered at daybreak that it was virtually surrounded by enemy soldiers. Colonel Nist thought that the entire battalion was lost.

• 3 years later...

I can't tell you anything about his WWII service,but I just got his DSC and Purple Heart at an estate auction. Evidently his son Omar Hitchner Jr had lived in my town. The sad thing is we got to the auction late and found out his documents were sold in a carved wooden box before we got there. I am going to try to track them down. I'll post photos tomorrow.

Ray

According to his Report of Internment his prior service was with the 1 Bn., 306th Inf. Regt., 77th Div. Also I found out his daughter lives here and his widow died here in 2004.

Ray