CUP GRENADE LAUNCHERS

151mg

Good day gents,

I do a ww2 GI impression and pride myself on doing a verygood impression.

I am a squad grenade launcher and use a 03 Springfield and M1 launcher.

I have noticed that the cup launcher as used on a Lee Enfield can launch a tennis ball a good distance.

While not the best looking for a ww2 US impression, the simple tennis ball would be a far safer thing to launch in the direction of another human than the tube mounted things I have made and purchased from others.

Questions to all:

1) Would an M1 or 03 with a cup launcher really visually spoil the day for other reenactors? (consideration for our Kraut and allies)

2) Or to heck with looks, for non-public events, rig something up to launch the safer tennis balls!

3) also does any one have any idea how to rig this up?

thanks 151mg

Good day gents,

I do a ww2 GI impression and pride myself on doing a verygood impression.

I am a squad grenade launcher and use a 03 Springfield and M1 launcher.

I have noticed that the cup launcher as used on a Lee Enfield can launch a tennis ball a good distance.

While not the best looking for a ww2 US impression, the simple tennis ball would be a far safer thing to launch in the direction of another human than the tube mounted things I have made and purchased from others.

Questions to all:

1) Would an M1 or 03 with a cup launcher really visually spoil the day for other reenactors? (consideration for our Kraut and allies)

2) Or to heck with looks, for non-public events, rig something up to launch the safer tennis balls!

3) also does any one have any idea how to rig this up?

thanks 151mg

I dont have my referance in front of me but I belive the Marines used a cup type grenade launcher early in the war, in conjuction with the 03 Springfield. It is referanced in the book "USMC Uniforms & Equipment, 1941-45" by Bruno Alberti & Laurent Pradier. I dont know if your planning on useing an enfield type launcher but I have seen the tennis ball launcher for the AK and AR type rifles, they dont look very good at all they are more bell shaped and half of the tennis ball proturdes from the end of the launcher. There is one however that mounts to the AR-15 and will launch a golf ball quite some distance. (avalable through Cheaper than Dirt). It is however the size of a golf ball vs. a pineapple grenade and looks a bit longer. This one apparently threads to the barrel and replaces the muzzle break. It is launched with .223 blanks. I dont know how well it would adapt to an 03.

I would really be courious to see if its possable, my USMC unit has plans for some early war events in the future and I just picked up a USMC Quartermaster depot grenade vest.

Mike

Armed 2 tha Teeth
I dont have my referance in front of me but I belive the Marines used a cup type grenade launcher early in the war, in conjuction with the 03 Springfield. It is referanced in the book "USMC Uniforms & Equipment, 1941-45" by Bruno Alberti & Laurent Pradier. I dont know if your planning on useing an enfield type launcher but I have seen the tennis ball launcher for the AK and AR type rifles, they dont look very good at all they are more bell shaped and half of the tennis ball proturdes from the end of the launcher. There is one however that mounts to the AR-15 and will launch a golf ball quite some distance. (avalable through Cheaper than Dirt). It is however the size of a golf ball vs. a pineapple grenade and looks a bit longer. This one apparently threads to the barrel and replaces the muzzle break. It is launched with .223 blanks. I dont know how well it would adapt to an 03.

I would really be courious to see if its possable, my USMC unit has plans for some early war events in the future and I just picked up a USMC Quartermaster depot grenade vest.

Mike

Mike,

The grenade launcher you are thinking of is the WWI VB grenade launcher. I am trying to find pictures of Marines early in the war (Guadalcanal) with VB launchers. There is one picture of a Marine with a vest, but no launcher in site. By mid/late 1943 they were replaced by the M1 launcher for the 1903.

Mike,

The grenade launcher you are thinking of is the WWI VB grenade launcher. I am trying to find pictures of Marines early in the war (Guadalcanal) with VB launchers. There is one picture of a Marine with a vest, but no launcher in site. By mid/late 1943 they were replaced by the M1 launcher for the 1903.

Wonder if that AK launcher could be modified for an 03.... do you have a link or photos ....

Not too wrried about looks, I would use them from closed tacticals anyway, public stuff I would use better looking ones that I have already made up., they just cost a bunch more than a tennis ball and if it hit someone it would hurt like heck! so for shooting towards (direction of ) a human, I am looking at safety here.

web site?

Dirteater101

The 1903 launchers are secured to the rifle via a collar that goes around the front sight. Than is secured by a wingnut and flap behind the sight. The kalishnicoff launcher just uses the threads that are in place ( opposite threaded, left tight!) for the hi tech compensator (cut piece of pipe). I am currently messing with an fn/fal launcher. Lots of machine work.

Those golf ball launchers that more expensive than dirt sells has some possibility, just have to make an attachment collar to go onto a 1903. And they are the diameter of the "firework store" type smoke grenades. Also thinking squash balls perhaps???

Food for thought from another gun junkie

The 1903 launchers are secured to the rifle via a collar that goes around the front sight. Than is secured by a wingnut and flap behind the sight. The kalishnicoff launcher just uses the threads that are in place ( opposite threaded, left tight!) for the hi tech compensator (cut piece of pipe). I am currently messing with an fn/fal launcher. Lots of machine work.

Those golf ball launchers that more expensive than dirt sells has some possibility, just have to make an attachment collar to go onto a 1903. And they are the diameter of the "firework store" type smoke grenades. Also thinking squash balls perhaps???

Food for thought from another gun junkie

Well for one thing, I do know that anything that is launched that does anything at the other end will have BATFE up your bottom with all kinds of attornies .......

I was thinking of using plumbing pipe to creat a cup and then weld in onto smaller pipe to fite the BBL, VB style... while the tennis ball idea if for the safety of others, I dont ewant fragments of anytinh in me or those who are next to me....

what are we "gun junkies" anyway.... ever think of why? I have and no matter what I tell myself, I go to a gun show and end up frothing over a Gew 98, K98k, Springfield, M1 or something..... sad and beyond help :crying:

But as an ENdowment Member of the NRA...I can say Join, they havent done much lately but they are all we got! :thumbsup:

Thanks 151mg

Dirteater101

Oddly enough the local field office (detroit) is ok with the firework launchers. They put them in the same class as the pinless mortars (fancy capped pipe)that most reenactment units carry. Not that they take their hits from rifle grenades/ mortars anyways......

Why...... Were Americans, because we can....... Firm appreciators of the "art of the gun" or the history behind it. Same sickness that effects the other hobbies out there... Just ours is way better!

Oddly enough the local field office (detroit) is ok with the firework launchers. They put them in the same class as the pinless mortars (fancy capped pipe)that most reenactment units carry. Not that they take their hits from rifle grenades/ mortars anyways......

Why...... Were Americans, because we can....... Firm appreciators of the "art of the gun" or the history behind it. Same sickness that effects the other hobbies out there... Just ours is way better!

Well BATFE in the SE, nailed a guy who made a launcher that launched a bomb that exploded with white wheat flower when it hit on the ground.....(maybe 5 grns of fff black powder inside flower with a hand lit fuse, if I recall correctly) by the time he was done with fines and attornies fees he was down $17,000.00. Was BATFE off the chart in their actions, you bet cha, but correct or not I dont want to mess with em. WACO and Ruby Ridge, may nave been their mistakes, but innocent people died..... I am innocent of anything and want to keep that fact and appearance and just want to stay that way where they are concerned. Affraid of dealing with BATFE you bet cha! ( and I am prior Law Enforcement!) :ermm:

just my opinion, 151mg

Dirteater101

Crap, another reenactor/ cop....

Inconstancy among a government agency??!?!? Say it is not so!

Not that this ever happens!

Of course there is the alternative of putting some chalk or flower inside of said tennis/ squash ball. Hard to argue that you were in the "blast cone" when you have orange powder on your uniform!