The "Sunflower patch"

Proud Kraut

For some reason,I have it in the back of my mind (at least what's left of it) that the red shield with the bear on it is related to the 129th Field Artillery Regt.

The former unit of President Harry S Truman during WW I. Anyone one else got anything on that?

You are not to far from the Truman museum in Independence MO. You should go check this possibility out. I do recall seeing this patch on display there. I have an example of the patch that started this thread that I picked up at a thrift store in Leavenworth back in 85-86 timeframe and I have always thought it was a Kansas NG type. I belive I got this id from info I saw at the Ft. Leavenworth museum.

You are not to far from the Truman museum in Independence MO. You should go check this possibility out. I do recall seeing this patch on display there. I have an example of the patch that started this thread that I picked up at a thrift store in Leavenworth back in 85-86 timeframe and I have always thought it was a Kansas NG type. I belive I got this id from info I saw at the Ft. Leavenworth museum.

Will try to get over there during Christmas break and see what I can find.

• 2 years later...

Discovered this thread while researching a patch that I found at an estate sale yesterday. No info coming from the company conducting the sale as to its history, although it also came with a WW2 USAAF HQ patch. It is embroidered on black felt, and after a good soaking in Woolite, the colors came out like new. The center is dark brown. Great information on all of the above posts, but I did not see mention of such a patch on a black felt background. The patch measures 2 inches in diameter.

Any information on this patch will be grately appreciated.

Thanks, Al

post-12790-0-17695200-1541193857_thumb.jpg

Discovered this thread while researching a patch that I found at an estate sale yesterday. No info coming from the company conducting the sale as to its history, although it also came with a WW2 USAAF HQ patch. It is embroidered on black felt, and after a good soaking in Woolite, the colors came out like new. The center is dark brown. Great information on all of the above posts, but I did not see mention of such a patch on a black felt background. The patch measures 2 inches in diameter.

Any information on this patch will be grately appreciated.

Thanks, Al

Neat patch! We will have to figure out if the Kansas NG wore the STARC patch prior to its authorization in 1951. Alternatively, the patch may very well have been made locally prior to the QM patches issuing.

-Ski

Neat patch! We will have to figure out if the Kansas NG wore the STARC patch prior to its authorization in 1951. Alternatively, the patch may very well have been made locally prior to the QM patches issuing.

-Ski

Thanks Ski. Hope to hear more.

Al

• 2 months later...

Sooo, this sunflower was in a group of patches that I picked up today. It was a combination of early WWII Army SSI, Civilian Defense, and later (1960s) ROTC patches. What do you folks think? Army, ROTC, Girl Scout (Daiseys)? Thanks!

By the way, if this patch was identified on this forum or on the web, please post a link. I've searched both and didn't have any luck finding it.

post-203-0-40258800-1548095661.jpg post-203-0-89987300-1548095669.jpg

The character in the center is the letter "L" and I believe that this is a JR ROTC patch for either Lansing or Leavenworth High School. I know I've seen a bunch of them growing up in Northeast Kansas.

Allan

The character in the center is the letter "L" and I believe that this is a JR ROTC patch for either Lansing or Leavenworth High School. I know I've seen a bunch of them growing up in Northeast Kansas.

Allan

Thanks Allan!

#32. Leavenworth, KS HS Jr ROTC. Established in the early 1930s and now considered the oldest existing HS ROTC in the US. The pre-WWII version is identical, except the sunflower is embroidered on a dark blue felt disc. Attached, yours truly at "Field Night, May '64.

post-1580-0-27881100-1548104864.jpeg

#32. Leavenworth, KS HS Jr ROTC. Established in the early 1930s and now considered the oldest existing HS ROTC in the US. The pre-WWII version is identical, except the sunflower is embroidered on a dark blue felt disc. Attached, yours truly at "Field Night, May '64.

Lookin good CaptCav! Thank you for clarifying the patch.

Nah!! Now this was Hardcorps!! That school really pushed their cadets. It was the HS for Ft Leavenworth - just about every cadets' father was an LTC or COL - in it's years, it has produced a incredible number of cadets who went on to be Regular Army officers.

post-1580-0-80283800-1548108127.jpg

post-1580-0-68020700-1548108399.jpg

post-1580-0-37725900-1548108582.jpg

So, CaptCav, did you attend George S. Patton Junior Junior High School? :lol:

Thanks for clarifying the ID. I couldn't recall which of the "L" cities it was, and was too lazy to chase it.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Among other things, I collect Studley Cap Patches. These were sold from the '30's thru '60's?? by George W. Studley to veterans' organizations for wear on their overseas caps. Mostly he sold Division patches, but did include some Corps and Support Units. One patch I've always had questions about is the same one HIRSCA posted on 2 Nov 18. This one is two inches in diameter and is classic Studley manufacture - IMO. There is some disagreement on this in the Studley community.

image.png.17102f57e440e87d1fde00df37d6b5fe.png

I have done considerable looking to find evidence of wear for this patch; and, was interested to see ALLAN H's post on 29 Jul 11 where he said that, "Both the American Legion and the VFW posts in Kansas would adorn their caps with the sunflower." I know current vet's caps have a sunflower embroidered in the front; but, unfortunately, I have not been able to find photographic evidence for the use of the Studley patch. I did find a pic of Company K, 353rd Inf ("All Kansas"). Look closely at the dog's cover. Looks like a sunflower to me??

image.png.f58ead858ed8298e62d911046fb049e4.png

While this is not evidence of use as a shoulder patch or cap patch, it does show another usage of the design. If anyone has a pic of the Studley sunflower on a cap, I would appreciate seeing it.

• 1 year later...
jayhawkhenry

Here are some sunflower patches, that I picked up at a Veteran’s estate sale.
The first is embroidered on dark blue felt, the second on Blue twill and the last is a fully embroidered, cut edge patch. 8a76121c3024c1cb2f324aa60fd75449.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I found a strange patch in ww1 field in Italy but I don't find any info on the web. 

Material: brass, gold painted. On the back side 3 wing to fix it, I suppose.

Do you have un idea? could be a variante of the sun flower you are discussing here?

Thank you in advance for any indication !

image.png.2faa84014f503d0cb067ac2b9de6a9e9.png

Rakkasan187

Benno,

Welcome to the forum, 

I have to agree with Manayunkman that this is more jewelry related and that it is coincidental that the design of the metal piece you found is similar to the patch. 

Best regards

Leigh 

wildcat123

There is a metal officer insignia that Kansas National Guard officers wore at the turn of the 19th/20th century.  I can add some photos later.  They are in guilt and bronze.  

The shared photos are not them.

cagedfalcon

This has been in storage.  I had forgotten about this until.i saw this post. Can't really be sure if it's purple or blue. Tunicis British made, maybe the patch is too?

Paul 

20230607_114428.jpg

20230607_114436.jpg