WW2 Mint D-Day assault vest -

cmjordan77

Johan Willaert

I agree that those prices are way too much, but I think you will agree it is an iconic item of the Normandy invasion, used or not...

General Apathy
Dang it Ken!!!I was going to buy a ticket and come over :lol:

RD

Hi Ron, as the saying goes ' your more than welcome ', I either have a s**t load of stuff here, or a stuff load of s**t depending on your view of American military collectibles. :w00t:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Ron, as the saying goes ' your more than welcome ', I either have a s**t load of stuff here, or a stuff load of s**t depending on your view of American military collectibles. :w00t:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Lewis,

Its all good!!!!No matter what we call it :lol:

RD

88thcollector
and Doyler i still find with EBay that you get testosterone bidding...that pushes up prices to a "must have" unrealistic level........some of the prices at SME in Normandy were bad enough the other weekend i had to walk out chuckling silently in disbelief.

Regards

LLoyd

Hi,

Most serious bidders use a snipe package. You place your bid in advance. That really cuts down on the concept of " testosterone bidding" or "auction fever". The three high bidders' bids were all place in the last few seconds, faster than you can bid manually. I think the last three bidders, maybe the last four, used a snipe software so the bids were considered in advance and not last second excitement.

I am likely to pay more on ebay than at a show. on ebay, you have several days to research. If you use paypal, you have a very strong recourse if it ends up being fake. At a show, you pay, the dealer is gone the next day, check is cashed and very little recourse unless the dealer is agreeable.

On an entirely different note, I worked the front tables at the Antiques Roadshow this weekend when it was here. There is still an incredible amount of WW2 militaria still out therevin the wild judging by what came by my post. Dozens of great loads fresh from attics.

Steve

willysmb44

No way would I spend 4 figures on anything that is neither:

• Attributed to someone I find appealing
  • Has wheels, an engine, wings, motor or large barrel

Still, this is the guy who plunked down almost three hundred clams on a tiny sized M-41 because it had correspondent patches on it, and I feel lucky to have gotten it. It's all relative, I guess. If my wife would have allowed it, I could have seen myself trying to bid on such an item, say, attributed to Bill Mauldin or Ernie Pyle.

We all have that "I got to have it" thing we crave. Maybe this vest was the winng bidder's thing. Or maybe he had really deep pockets. They are still out there, you know.

I too have had the chance to buy one or two of these things, I think I was offered one for $400 once (would have been in the early 90s). Frankly, I'm not kicking myself too hard as the vets I have talked to who had wore them all hated them! :thumbdown:

Lucky 7th Armored

I too have been to his Army-Navy store and he is a real nice guy and cut me a deal. I wish i could get over there more but it is a 1-2 hour drive..

But back to the subject, that is crazy how much it went for especially since it has no history behind it.

Johan Willaert

As said above, it's all relative.... Today we all pay prices which we would never have paid 10 years ago...

There's so much more interest and so many more collectors out there that it's only natural that prices rise.

3000+ Assault Jackets

20000+ Reinforced Jump Suits

8000+ D-Ring AB Helmets

25000+ Jeeps

10000+ Thompson SMG

and the list goes on......

AND don't forget the weak Dollar vs the Euro. 3300USd for and assault jacket is pretty cheap in Euro value...

The fact is that an assault jacket is THE item for the Initial D-Day Wave collection, just like the reinforced M42 jumpsuit is THE item for the Normandy AB Collector... ID'd is nice, but as there are hardly any of those out there, people settle for an unissued one.... Imagine what an ID'd specimen would sell for.... and how would you ever know the story behind it is actually true...

Johan