WW2 Mint D-Day assault vest -

cmjordan77

Hey folks,

I wasnt sure where to post this, but here is a MINT original WW2 D-Day assault vest. I figured that someone on here may be interested in this that has not seen it.

I sure wish I had the money to buy it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=370219282288

If this is not the correct place to post, I apologize.

Its not my auction, I figured someone on here may appreciate this and get a chance to own it.

Thank you!

The seller is an old friend of mine...if he says it's honest, it's honest. If I had the spare dough to spend.... :w00t: :w00t:

As a kid my father and I always hit a flea market in the Wisconsin Dells on the way to the big Madison military show, I remember in the early years there was always a "junk dealer" set up there with stacks of 'nam era pots, invasion gas mask bags, and these vests...how I kick myself nowadays! I could have bought myself a very nice house, cash, with the amount that stuff seems to bring nowadays...

Cobrahistorian
The seller is an old friend of mine...if he says it's honest, it's honest. If I had the spare dough to spend.... :w00t: :w00t:

I'll second that. I get over there whenever I can if I'm at the Gap. Really good guy to deal with. He had one of Walter Bedell Smith's uniforms in there the last time I was there. Tried to get me to buy it for the museum too, since Smith started out in the Indiana Guard!

$3300 and change is the final, If I had lots of money from lotto winnings, I would have beaten that $3300 :)

My hearty congrats to Steve on another great sale of another great item :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Is that "real world" value now of an assault vest ?........ :o

Regards

LLoyd

See Lloyd, I told you years ago that you should have bought 14,000 of them before they became expensive :blink::lol::rolleyes:

All together now, " IF I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW " :thumbsup: Which of course you do, if you saw three of these vests for sale this weekend at a show for $1,000 each, how many would buy one or even all three. ??? :think:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Johan Willaert
if you saw three of these vests for sale this weekend at a show for $1,000 each, how many would buy one or even all three. ??? :think:

Wanna Guess???? :rolleyes:

Is that "real world" value now of an assault vest ?........ :o o set a real

Lloyd,

I would have to say that the price realized was what it was worth to that person or the two high bidders on it on this given day.The final bidder bid at the end if I read the auction bid list correctly.I was watching this also but it went past what I was comfortable paying for it.I guess for a real value I would have to average it out if say 4-5 vests sold.I also take into consideration the selling fees the seller has to pay.Just say for example if it cost him 15% to sell this item.Granted the bidder paid the ending price but the seller isnt getting the full amount.

In my opinion if this vest would have been brought into a show at this price it wouldnt have sold in my opinion.Not at the shows I attend and no dealer would even give half of the final sale value this vest brought.Just my 2 cents worth.

RD

IMPERIAL QUEST

I simply cannot get my mind around spending that kind of money on a vest...especially unattributed and unused. I guess I just don't "get it", I'm stunned to say the least... :blink: :think:

Johan its a no brainer now.....but HOW can you tell an original now with the very good repros out there especially worn ones..... :think:

and Ken...yes if i knew then what i know now.....DOH ! i said it.....

and Doyler i still find with EBay that you get testosterone bidding...that pushes up prices to a "must have" unrealistic level........some of the prices at SME in Normandy were bad enough the other weekend i had to walk out chuckling silently in disbelief.

Regards

LLoyd

and Doyler i still find with EBay that you get testosterone bidding...that pushes up prices to a "must have" unrealistic level........some of the prices at SME in Normandy were bad enough the other weekend i had to walk out chuckling silently in disbelief.

Regards

LLoyd

Lloyd

Thats exactly my point.Right on the money.Most auctions turn into a bid fest and in the end its "Hey...I won.I got more money than you got".I have seen it even at local auctions.Two people get in a bidding war.Then I will offer to sell either person the same item(in better shape)for less and they decline. :rolleyes:

I think that for a MINT version, $2500 - $3500 would not be too not uncommon, maybe high, but definately not uncommon. I am NO expert, and I would Never claim to be, this is just my guess on what I have seen on ebay and other places. I spoke to several dealers asking the assault vest 2 years ago, and each guy said they could get $1500-$2000 for a used vest. I was asking about buying one (when I had no clue what the prices were originally).

Now, there was a member on here a few months back that found a D-Day Assault vest in great shape (if I remember correctly it just had some red paint on the back) at a local garage sale I think he paid next to nothing for it too.

Man, some guys have all the luck,

I simply cannot get my mind around spending that kind of money on a vest...especially unattributed and unused. I guess I just don't "get it", I'm stunned to say the least... :blink: :think:

Steven,

I hear ya.Just think Saving Private Ryan(repeat three times :lol: )This is why the price is out there to me.In most cases there were very few people who knew or were even aware of these vests prior to the movie.15-20 years ago they were around but not many realized what they were.Those who did said you will never find one state side.All were left in France.Well that isnt true but many were.I cant tell you the amount of jump jackets or German para helmets I saw at shows over the years but ask the same deakers about the vest and they didnt know about them.Now I would most likely pass on one at a show as there are so many repos.

RD

General Apathy
and Ken...yes if i knew then what i know now.....DOH ! i said it..... YIPPEEE Lloyd said it, ' If I knew then what I know now ' ;) :thumbsup:

and Doyler I still find with EBay that you get testosterone bidding...that pushes up prices to a "must have" unrealistic level........some of the prices at SME in Normandy were bad enough the other weekend i had to walk out chuckling silently in disbelief. Ron, three years ago I sat and watched someone pay 285 dollars on epay for a common canvas water bucket, which I had sat in the store unissued for 20 dollars. :think: :blink:

Regards

LLoyd

p.s HI Johan, no need to go to a show, drop past the house this weekend and I will sell you three assualt vests.

JOKE Johan, JOKE :lol:;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

I am so thankful that I primarily stick with patches and medals. Imagine the medal group you can get for that $$$?? At least it would have a story.

-Ski

Johan Willaert
Johan its a no brainer now.....but HOW can you tell an original now with the very good repros out there especially worn ones..... :think:

Aaaah, it's all in the details!!!!!! I have yet to see a convincing and perfect repro...

Ken, just switched off the car engine... My wife just stopped me at the end of the street saying it was a joke..... ;)

p.s HI Johan, no need to go to a show, drop past the house this weekend and I will sell you three assualt vests.

JOKE Johan, JOKE :lol:;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Dang it Ken!!!I was going to buy a ticket and come over :lol:

RD

Johan Willaert
In most cases there were very few people who knew or were even aware of these vests prior to the movie.15-20 years ago they were around but not many realized what they were.Those who did said you will never find one state side.All were left in France.Well that isnt true but many were.I cant tell you the amount of jump jackets or German para helmets I saw at shows over the years but ask the same deakers about the vest and they didnt know about them.

Exactly. I got my vest nearly 20 years ago and paid the equivalent of roughly 600$ for it, which was pretty expensive back then. Few collectors knew what it was and before Jon Gawne wrote about them in the French Militaria Magazine Issue 108 of July 1994 hardly anyone had an interest in them in Europe.

SPR changed all that....

Actual D-Day used Assault Jackets are extremely rare. We have a forummember here who has one that was picked up by a USAAF Officer in France shortly after D-Day, but most of the actual D-Day ones were thrown away or just deteriorated from the salty water and dirt...

In the late 80's a bunch of them surfaces in France. All were unissued and had some minor shelf wear. Most were tan OD (JA Shoe) and only a few were the dark variety (mostly Tweedie ones). By the mid 90's most of those were in private collections.

Jon Gawne stated that about 14000 were made of which about 7000 were issued for D-Day (just quoting from what I recall here, Jon). I believe that those in collections and on the market today are from the 7000 unissued ones as the ones that show up are nearly always in very good condition.

For those of you that were in Normandy earlier this month, you might recall the one on display in the Staticline Shop in Ste Mere Eglise. It was completely worn out, torn and extremely dirty. It was ID'd to an Officer of C/116IR/29ID, but that was probably just a story as the owner kept changing the unit in an attempt to make sense.....

Anyway it was typical condition for the ones used in the landings.

Next to that one, he has an original Tweedie for 5000Euro, but again mint condition...

Johan

I dont see the value of that price for an unused version?! Where's the history. It's like paying the same amount for a repo. It's the same thing, just an unused display of an item......what one would've looked like, never used