Books about the Battle of the Bulge

S1991

Hi all,

I am interessted in the Battel of the Bulge for some longer time.

But now I want to get me some more books about it. Does anyone perhaps know which great books there are outthere for information about the Bulge? On the German and American sides? Like what armor there was used exactly and which units, where they've attacked, the initially attackplans and all sort of that stuff?

If you may know any of these sort of books, please let me know ! And please tell me what you think about it.

Many thank in advance.

Cheers,

Silvano

If you can read German (but I think there is an English version too), the two books "Schicksale zwischen Sauer und Our" by Roland Gaul of the Diekirch Museum are good accounts on the Luxembourg part of The Bulge.

Jean Paul Pallud's book "Battle of the bulge, Then & Now" is a good one too.

Peter Taghon's "Ardennen 44 - 45" (in Dutch) is nice.

And of course Charles B McDonald's "Time for Trumpets"; a great book.

For the 101st AB part; "Battered Bastards of Bastogne" from George Koskimaki.

There are several more on the subject, I'm sure others here will chime in.

Erwin

I'd have to agree with D.A.T. "A Blood Dimmed Tide: the Battle of the Bulge by the Men Who Fought it" is awesome and very concise. I know personally one of the men(Jerry Nelson) in the book who's story is recounted. He lost two tanks during the Bulge and survived both. I just talked with him last week. He's alive & well and doing a lot of fishing! ;)

Thank you Erwin, D.A.T. and Bugme !

If any of you guys know any other great books please let me know !

Thanks

Thank you Erwin, D.A.T. and Bugme !

If any of you guys know any other great books please let me know !

Thanks

Only two more I can think of right off hand that I really liked, "Seven Roads to Hell" by Donald Burgett, http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Roads-Hell-Scr...e/dp/0891416803

And "Operation Northwind" by Charles Whiting http://www.amazon.com/OTHER-BATTLE-BULGE-O...d/dp/0971170975

DwightPruitt

Silvano,

On the American side, as jeeper noted above, there simply is no better than Charles B. McDonald's Time for Trumpets. Mac was a Company commander in the 23rd Infantry and later was the U.S. Army's deputy chief historian. During the Bulge, his company fought an important delaying action against Germans. His book has a near complete Order of battle included.

Another book is "The Battle Of The Bulge Hitler's Ardennes Offensive" by Danny S. Parker. Has some errors (as do all books) but some information not found elsewhere. I studied the Bulge intensely 20 years ago, had quite a library on it at one time. In Parker's book I was able to find an account of an attack a friend of mine participated in, as a member of the 329th Infantry of the 83rd Division. A fairly obscure action.

Pallud's book is interesting, but as an American I find it vaguely annoying. He seems to think the bumbling Americans were only saved from defeat because the Germans ran out of gas.

Steve

DwightPruitt
Pallud's book is interesting, but as an American I find it vaguely annoying. He seems to think the bumbling Americans were only saved from defeat because the Germans ran out of gas.

Steve

I agree. It's a good book only for the photographs and the "then and now" comparisons. He draws some poor conclusions and in a few cases is almost apologist in nature, especially towards the massacre at the Baugnez Crossroads. If you can find it somewhere cheap, ok, but it wouldn't be high on my list.

Another book that I found helpful was Hitler's Last Gamble by Trevor Dupuy, Richard Anderson and David Bongard.

OKay thanks guys !

@ D.A.T.: Seven Roads to Hell could be a nice book but I think it's more about Bastogne? If I'm incorrect please correct me. And the book about Operation Northwind looks great to look at the other side of the Battle, cause that's a thing which is not common to most people.

@ DwightPruitt: Thanks for the tips ! I will go on the lookout for those. Do you perhaps have any photo's of the inside? So I can see if I like the books?

If anyone else know any other great books please share them !

Perhaps there are other people in here who share the same interests as me.

Cheers,

Silvano

Charlie Flick

Hello Silvano:

If you are really serious about studying the Bulge, you must read the official US Army history on the campaign: "United States Army In World War II The European Theater of Operations The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge", written by Hugh M. Cole. This book has a ton of information in it including many maps. Recommended for in depth study of the Ardennes battle.

Regards,

Charlie Flick